PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic stall/static stall?

pa28driver
11th Nov 2005, 20:20
Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm in the process of doing a University report on the Chordwise Pressure Distributon of an Aerofoil.

I need to get some details on the dynamic and static stalls of an aerofoil, especially the relaton between the two.

Also, an info on the "separation bubble" on an aerofoil in certain situations would be great.

Any help/leads would be much appreciated.

Cheers

john_tullamarine
11th Nov 2005, 20:30
(a) conventional low accel stall - refer to any aerodynamics and/or authoritative flight mechanics text. Your Institution's library should have a bunch of such texts and, I would guess, you have bought a couple for your own library as well ?

(b) accelerated stall (g-stall) - as for (a)

(c) deep stall - as for (a)

(d) high pitch rate stall (accelerated stall) - best paper I have read was in the Aero Soc Journal some years ago. I was looking for this in respect of another thread some time ago but haven't yet tracked it down in the filing cabinets (eventually, I'll get all those useful articles scanned). This will be the one you refer to as involving a "separation bubble", I suspect.

popay
12th Nov 2005, 07:17
pa28driver,
Dynamic stall is a phenomenon that affects airfoils, wings and rotors in unsteady flows. It is due to changes, periodic or not, in the inflow conditions and/or angle of attack. In some cases, such helicopter rotors in advancing flight, dynamic stall is intrinsic to their state of operation.

A static stall refers to what airplane pilots would call a slow deceleration, approach to landing or simply a normal stall. Basically, at an altitude from which it will be safe to recover from the stall, slowly increase the angle of attack and let airspeed bleed off. Keep increasing the angle of attack, gently, until the stall happens.

Here are the both references:
http://futurecam.com/stalls.html
http://aerodyn.org/Dstall/dstall.html
Have fun, i used to love it.
Cheers.:8