PDA

View Full Version : Airbus APU Fire Question

Waldo Pepper
11th Nov 2005, 18:08
Right, having been a Boeing fella for a good few years, i'm crossing over to the 'bus and from what I see so far, i think I'm going to like it....however some of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense...for example, why does the APU auto shutdown and loose off an extingusher on the ground when it detects a fire, but not in the air? Answers on a card please...

guclu
11th Nov 2005, 18:22
My opinions,

on the ground you have times when no one is in the cockpit nor the Apu ground control panel. So, when the loop detects a fire it just shutdowns the APU and extinguishes the agent.

In the air, there may be different scenarios where the automatic shutdown and agent extinguishing wouldn't be wise (may be). And knowing that there is always someone (hopefully ;) ) in the cockpit the designers did not intend to do it.

Just my thoughts....

Guclu

Viscount Sussex
11th Nov 2005, 22:59
Waldo Pepper

I think you probably find that is the same logic on the Boeing B757. No difference. The APU autoshsutdowns on the ground (in case of fire) and the fire extinguisher is discharged automatically. You may want that APU in the air running for a bit longer.
VS

:confused: