PDA

View Full Version : Weather Forecast !! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tonyhalsall
11th Nov 2005, 13:53
Trying my best to plan a flight from NW england down to Old Sarum this week-end.
Talk about conflicting forecasts for Saturday!!!
I generally trust the BBC non aviation forecast as it is normally 'about right' but comparing it to weatherweb and the met office today and it's anyone's guess what will happen tomorrow.
I think I will stick to the tried and trusted method.
Now where are those tea leaves

Say again s l o w l y
11th Nov 2005, 14:05
I usually prefer the seaweed method of weather forecasting, It seems to more accurate than the met office most of the time!

Final 3 Greens
11th Nov 2005, 18:03
We live on a small island and its November.

What do you expect from a forecaster?

So many variables to second guess.

egld0624
11th Nov 2005, 18:51
Hi Tonyhalsall & All,

It could be worse... married 4 years to a wonderful argentine wife... that's 4 years of being told how bad our wx is in the uk regardless... couple that with the current taboo of "the football friendly" and there could be added depression :p

On a serious note; attended a 2 day course run by the UK Met Office for pilots on Mon/Tue in Exeter; absolutely first class in really giving a major insight into the finer and more subtle points of their TAF's & METAR's weather systems etc. that you just don't pick up from the JAA PPL text books. Glad I went and would highly recommend it - although not cheap.

www.navex.aero now has had its list of web domain links for Met info updated and includes sites recommended by the forecasters at the UK Met office. It serves as a strictly non commercial site and 1 Stop Portal with an obvious address to remember.

Kind regards & hope the wx improves and we win the footy!

EG:ok:

Human Factor
12th Nov 2005, 12:04
Heard an interesting thought the other day. The Met Office at Bracknell have just spent ££££s on a new Cray computer to improve their forecasting accuracy to 65%.

Sounds good.

However, this made me smile. If the weather forecast consisted solely of:

"Tomorrow's weather will be exactly the same as today's!"

.... they'd be 72% accurate!! :E

Cusco
12th Nov 2005, 16:23
Didn't the Met Office move from Bracknell to Exeter eons ago?

Safe flying:

Cusco

:confused:

Human Factor
12th Nov 2005, 17:08
The accuracy would probably have been better if the Cray was on the premises.... ;)

Oops.:\