PDA

View Full Version : Possible new group forming.....

steve_moate
10th Nov 2005, 17:12
http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/en_US/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=MieqQ4wkQg8000ArvQ_8K1sp0000TUG_7Qkf?ProductUUID= wfzAqBELiwMAAAEH%2esA82W9U&CatalogCategoryID=uW7AqBELbsEAAAD_vUBpc4dn&JumpTo=OfferList

Any one interested? :O

Say again s l o w l y
10th Nov 2005, 17:17
I'll have two please!! I wonder if my piggy bank will stretch that far?

Now will they be on a permit or CofA? Getting one for the club might be nice, stuff the DA40 this'll be much more suitable!

steve_moate
10th Nov 2005, 17:31
I would imagine that they will be on Permit only.

Amazing oppertunity to fly a really nice piece of hardware. I might even put my plans to purchase a new 172 on hold, and see if this is going to be a viable option.

I'll see if I can get some idea of the prices they will be asking.

foxmoth
10th Nov 2005, 18:39
Interesting site even without the group prospect - hope you have more luck with a group than I did at Goodwood - think most people there must have more money than they know what to do with:sad:

steve_moate
10th Nov 2005, 19:04
Foxmoth,

You may be right about Goodwood, but I really couldn't comment. I fly from there during the week, but have never had the oppertunity to look at joining a group there. I live on the Oxon/Bucks border, and work in Chichester. I have a share in a complex based at Booker, and fly a 172 from Kidlington at weekends. During the week, Goodwood is my base.

The only evidence I have seen of people with more money than they know what to do with, would indicate an age group incapable of getting into a Tucano, let alone fly the thing. Having said that, many of these folk have an impressive aviation history behind them, but I imagine that now they get more of a social buzz from the flying school atmosphere than the actual flying.

I would be very seriously interested if anyone out there was willing/able to help form or join a group around one of these.

18greens
10th Nov 2005, 22:04
Oooohh, yes please.

But .... sexy though it will be, isn't a yak 52 or an Extra 300 pretty much the same but a bit cheaper.

Ghengis, you know, whats the deal?

J.A.F.O.
10th Nov 2005, 22:55
Willing? - YEAH! :D

Able? - Mmmm :(

MichaelJP59
11th Nov 2005, 10:22
Tucano is a turboprop isn't it? With bang seats? Wouldn't running costs be prohibitive?

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2005, 11:10
Ghengis, you know, whats the deal?

I don't know about the defence sales issue, but I know (or at-least knew) my way around the Tincano pretty well.

A pretty aeroplanes, which feels like a jet fighter from the inside. I'd personally judge that it's much less within the capabilities of a PPL than something simple like a Yak-52 or BAe Hawk. It's also a fairly unreliable device, and I think that in civil hands it'd be cripplingly expensive to run. You'd also have to persuade CAA to allow it onto a Permit and convince them that you had the full capabilities to maintain it.

On the other hand it's an 1150hp 2-seat turboprop, with a military cockpit, roughly the same size, shape and power as a Mk.1 Spitfire. It's a little known fact that the UK versions also have the export weapons hardpoints still fitted as well, although they've never been used.

Personally if I was looking for a toy like that I'd buy a civil Pilatus PC7 (http://home.planet.nl/~hendriksf260/pc7.html) if I could get one, cheaper, more reliable, better handling, and available off-the-shelf with a CofA.

G

englishal
11th Nov 2005, 11:17
Yep, I'm in. How much?

Say again s l o w l y
11th Nov 2005, 11:23
In that case Genghis, put me down for a PC-7 instead, or maybe a Hawk!!

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2005, 11:34
Sadly they're upgrading the Hawks instead of replacing them (I think it would be fair to say that the dozen hours I've got in them are probably about the most fun I've ever had at work). There's a PC7 Mk2 (http://www.airplanemart.com/aircraftforsale/00693.html) which is semi-glass-cockpit + HUD for sale for about US$2m at the moment, but I think you might get the older Mk.1 for about half that if one comes up.

Pretty innit

http://www.airplanemart.com/aircraftpictures/00693/00693-01b.jpg

G

Say again s l o w l y
11th Nov 2005, 11:48
So if I sold everything I own, then I might just be able to pay for the nose leg. Right that's one part sorted, who'll pay for the rest? (and the running costs obviously!)

steve_moate
11th Nov 2005, 11:50
Thanks Genghis,

OK, so all we need to find is £1,121,721.86 to buy it, (gonna be a big group this is).:ugh:

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2005, 11:54
It would be an interesting business case wouldn't it, buy one on a CofA, hire a couple of ex-CFS instructors (bound to be a few flying for the airlines who'd do it in their spare time) and set up an AOC to do advanced flight training.

In the meantime, I reckon I could just about afford the prop spinner.

G

grow45
11th Nov 2005, 12:35
"It would be an interesting business case wouldn't it, buy one on a CofA, hire a couple of ex-CFS instructors"

Seems to work OK for these guys - http://www.mypage.bluewin.ch/atal-aviation/instructions.htm - absolutely breathtaking way to see the Swiss Alps.

g45

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2005, 12:43
That's the aircraft I had in mind - a Pilatus reconditioned PC7 Mk.1, shame it doesn't say how much they charge, it'd be interesting to know.

G

grow45
11th Nov 2005, 12:57
It was £400 an hour in 2003.

g45

grow45
7th Dec 2005, 12:31
If you still fancy a Pilatus instead there is one on ebay at the moment - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-new-top-off-the-line-Pilatus-PC-9-M_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63677QQitemZ4594736845QQrdZ1QQs spagenameZWDVW

g45

Mariner9
7th Dec 2005, 13:06
The Tucanos wont be on a permit; max power is 260hp and max design speed is 250mph for a permit aircraft. :{ :{

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2005, 13:36
Incorrect Mariner, that's the limit for PFA, not for a Permit aircraft.

You could operate it on a PtF (subject to a lot of other rules of-course) just as some Yak-52s do now - it's just that oversight would be directly by CAA, not by another delegated organisation (unless you can find one, with appropriate delegations, prepared to extend their approvals to cover it).

I've flown an Islander that was on a Permit to Fly, and I think there was a 727 on one once.

G

MichaelJP59
7th Dec 2005, 13:44
Aren't all the Provosts, Gnats and Hunters on Permits?

And presumably that Vulcan will be when they get it flying again:) (hopefully)