PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Work?

Pace152
10th Nov 2005, 14:30
Hi everybody,

I'm a UK citizen who's over in Florida finishing off my FAA CPL. When I finish I'll have the following:

FAA and JAA PPL, FAA (single engine) IR, FAA CPL, JAA Multi Engine. In total around 250 hours.

Is there anywhere in Canada that I could possibly get a job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

spencer101
10th Nov 2005, 15:53
Not in the winter. With 250 hrs you will have better luck finding a job in the spring when the bush opperators are hiring dock hands.

250hr pilots are a dime a dozen in Canada. It is a tough go to get your first few hundred hours in Canada, most do the instructing thing for a while. You will also have to convert your licenses to Canadian and have the right to work in this Country.

The Blue Max
17th Nov 2005, 14:20
How about a JAA licence
A320 rating and 1000+ TT ????

Any chance in canada???
Canadian friends on the md88 tell me its pretty much impossible....

cheers

bzh
17th Nov 2005, 17:59
don't expect anything with less than 5000H in canada unless you love the noname brant Kraft diner....

Canadian Beech
17th Nov 2005, 18:52
I hear Air Canada is interviewing:ok:

Mungalui
18th Nov 2005, 06:51
Any chance of getting a job in Canada with following experience:

2000hrs total time
400 hrs on C208B
Thanks.

bzh
18th Nov 2005, 10:41
if you have the paperwork you should be able to find a caravan operator to take you.

CanExpat
22nd Nov 2005, 11:19
Hi Guys

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm living in the UK at the moment flying for one of the lo cost outfits here. I really want to return home to Vancouver some time in the next couple of years.

Any idea what the job outlook is like for either AC or Westjet, I currently have a JAA ATPL 1600hrs TT with 1400hrs RHS B738, clocking up approx 900 per year.

Any and all advice is welcome, I am a national so right to work not a problem, I just need a licence conversion.

Cheers
CE

Major Cong
8th Dec 2005, 16:34
You could try working for First Choice airways. At the moment we have a pilot exchange program with Skyservice during the winter. You would get your CATPL paid for and get sent to YVR for the winter!

CanExpat
12th Dec 2005, 09:37
Thanks for the info I'll look into it. Sounds to like a great way to transition back over.

Cheers
CE

medflyer
12th Dec 2005, 14:48
You want to leave the UK to come here?? I always thought the industry was booming over there with lots of well paying jobs! Here the starting pay for Jazz is $34,750, AC is $37K and WJ 40K!

Aren't there more opportunities where you are?

Dockjock
12th Dec 2005, 16:52
CanExpat you should try Harmony. They want people with jet types and should be hiring next year.

Saxon
12th Dec 2005, 20:27
Try looking on the AVCANADA websiteavcanada

Loads of info on Canadian aviation, with a list of companies and current trends

CanExpat
12th Dec 2005, 23:06
Thanks for the info guys, any and all advice is welcome. MedFlyer - as for moving back the industry is indeed booming over here with lots of jobs going. However as much as I like this green and pleasant land it is not the place it used to be - just a life style choice.

medflyer
12th Dec 2005, 23:14
ok, I thought as much...as one who has been on the fence for a looong time about converting to the JAA, still very appreciative of the lifestyle we have over here.

Best of luck to you!

BigBear83
19th Dec 2005, 02:40
Can Expat,

I’m quite curious of your career progression and seek advice pertaining to working over in Europe. Currently, I’m in Ontario just wrapping up university and my multi IFR. I’ll soon enter the scary real world of Canadian aviation. I do have an EU passport and are seriously thinking of making a move over to Europe. From what I understand the industry is far better, but there are still many low time wonders around. So, should I get cracking on the groundschool and exams right after university? Or should I instruct for 1 or 2 years to get 500 or 1000 hrs single engine PIC before making the move. How about spending a few more years and attain a Canadian ATPL then converting at a lower cost, but is that worth the wait? Although I hear stories of people flying B737 with 250hrs, I don’t expect that, but what should I expect? Did you undertake a self sponsored scheme? If so, is it possible to pay off the 23 000 euro after a few years of flying? Wow, that’s mouthful but any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

CanExpat
21st Dec 2005, 12:08
BigBear83

Tough questions, lots of options.

The industry is indeed very healthy over hear at the moment. There are lots of guys coming straight out of flight school into the right seat of B737, B757, A320, Emb135/145 Dash8, ATR, Bizz jets etc.

I did the same thing, was sponsored by the RAF for a PPL, flew a little with my university air squadron (RAF volunteer reserve), then self sponsored myself through one of the larger FTOs to upgrade my PPL/IMC/Night rating to a Frozen ATPL. I Then went into the right seat of a B73NG with 230 hrs TT excluding sim.

Before this thread deteriorates into the "That's not enough hours for the job” or European vs. N. American career path arguments, this type of career progression has been in existence since the end of WW2. The UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands under the guidance of the flag carriers had their own cadet training schools - now its just free market. I am not saying which route is best just that it is possible and indeed common in the current climate.

With this in mind hour building through instructing isn't going to be particularly advantageous at the moment as the jobs are out there, the major obstacle is the licence conversion of which ground school is the worst/longest part. Flight training over here is also extremely expensive, my Seneca training cost me £6 per minute though it can be done a little cheaper. Even with a Canadian ATPL as I understand it you will still have to sit the 14 ground exams. Paying for your own type rating is also a new phenomena and though expensive upfront, usually seriously reduces/negates any bond leaving you free to move as you please.

Salaries vary from (just from the guys I went through flight school with) from approx £25000 (Dash8 /ATR to £40000 B737/B757A320/, though cost of training and living over here is much much greater.

Cheers
CE