PDA

View Full Version : First solo on 16th Birthday

noelwj
10th Nov 2005, 12:55
Congratulations to Master Keith Jermyn who on his 16th birthday carried out his first solo flight at Enniskillen Airport under the excellent tuition of flight instructor Mr Ron Barr from Enniskillen Flying School. Climbing into the cockpit of the Katana DA 20, Keith showed only slight signs of nerves.
Unfortunately the same could not be said of his father Eugene, who paced the floor of the control tower throughout the ordeal.
Upon his arrival back at the apron, father and son were re-united and no one could tell who was the most proud.
As pilots I'm sure we can all remember our own first solo, but how many of us achieved it on our 16th birthday. Would be great to hear of any others.
Well done Keith.

NT42
10th Nov 2005, 15:46
I agree, I think it's great having young students and pilots. Many congratulations to him indeed!

I did my first solo (last month i think it was) when I was 17, so not as good as Keith! I bet it was as amazing though (for me!)!

John.

strafer
10th Nov 2005, 16:16
Well done Keith.

Don't think I'd have had the bottle to solo at that age. :ok:

Lister Noble
10th Nov 2005, 16:43
I might have had the bottle but I definitely didn't have the cash!
Well done,it took me another 46 years to do mine last week.
Lister:D :D

andyhelo
10th Nov 2005, 20:40
Did my first solo when i was 16, licence at 17, and now halfway through the ATPL course. Im now 19. (helicopters though)

cessna 152 pilot
11th Nov 2005, 00:35
Keith,

I am also going solo on my 16th birthday. Not at a controled airport though still very exciting.

Still have to wait another 2 weeks.

Booked the airplane for an hour and should get about 7 circuits.
AS the wx in Australia is always good for some reason!!!!

Hopefully 7 good landings.

Can't wait

Heliplane
11th Nov 2005, 07:58
I soloed on my 16th too - best birthday occasion I could have ever hoped for and I still remember the three touch and goes that I did as if I had just climbed out of the cockpit (over 14 years ago though...).

The October Massachusetts weather kept me on the ground for my 17th and 18th birthdays so, unfortunately, my private and commercial licences had to wait a few extra days!

Congratulations to all of you who have recently soloed and good luck to those who are about to!

MikeJeff
11th Nov 2005, 14:19
Well done!

I know one guy who did his skills test at 16.5.. so there's a target for you (soloed on 16th birthday too!)

hingey
11th Nov 2005, 15:28
I solo(e)d on my 16th, June last year at Exeter. What a day! My FTO made a bit of a fuss and the local press came in and put the most awful unglamorous picture in the paper! I passed my test before my 17th, hoping to pick it up on the day. CAA said no though :(

Still, congrats to Keith and all others, and best of luck to those hoping to do so!

h

TheKentishFledgling
12th Nov 2005, 16:55
Soloed on 16th birthday, GFT passed a few weeks prior to 17th, licence picked up from Gatwick on 17th birthday morning (a sunday!!(.

Took family flying 17th afternoon.

tKF

Farrell
12th Nov 2005, 18:10
Congratulations Keith!

Soloing at 16 is a great achievement.
Keep up the good work!

Farrell:ok:

Hockeyguy
14th Nov 2005, 20:11
I would have soloed on my 16th but due to teh fantastic weather we get in December it actually was about a week after my 16th birthday. :(

Now nearly 17 and wondering if its at all possible to get my skills test done before the end of the year. Well fingers crossed

Well done Keith

Monocock
14th Nov 2005, 20:29
It's times like this that I feel old (at 33)....:sad:

Well done to you all and safe flying in years to come.

I passed on my eighteenth birthday and have never looked back.:ok:

Captainkarl
19th Nov 2005, 16:58
I soloed on my 16th Birthday as well Its a day I will never forget! I also think your first solo landing is the best one you'll ever do

bletchleytugie
20th Nov 2005, 18:04
We managed to one of young members solo last Sunday (she turned 16 on Friday). Just as well really as she was taken into the hangar in the morning with her eyes firmly shut to find her birthday present - a gigt wrapped Ka.8.

overmars
21st Nov 2005, 08:46
is 16 the magic number for first solos? solo-ed at a ripe "old" age of 24. i believe going solo is the best feeling a pilot will experience... it did for me

jai6638
21st Nov 2005, 14:43
Good job Keith!

I hope to solo at 16 too ( december 2 ) but I dont think thats going to be possible because my medical needs to come through and I think thats gonna take some time.... so i'll probably be a week or two late... oh well.

TheKentishFledgling
21st Nov 2005, 16:41
jai - don't give up hope. When did you apply for your medical? IIRC my class two took less than a week, and my class 1 only a few days.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

tKF

eoincarey
21st Nov 2005, 22:44
soloed when i was 16 ( but not on my birthday - blame Yorkshire weather!), and licence issue at XMAS when i was 17; could legally fly an a/c before I could take a car out on my own - guess theres nothing like it on my own.

By the way, i'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those who helped me out before my first solo, i remember posting frantically looking for advice, and im still here in one piece (and have managed not to dent many other aeroplanes too...!)

Cheers

Eoin