PDA

View Full Version : Logbook: newbie takes the skies - trial lesson

CheerfulWannabe
10th Nov 2005, 09:56
I know several pilot students did logbook here so I hope you don't mind I do mine as well.

My base is in Trondheim (ENVA). After years of contemplating ad evaluating (economically) I decided to go for it. I booked in trial lesson at local flying school.

Day was beautiful with clear skies and calm winds on surface. Before I went to lesson I had pizza and Pepsi max. Yes, I am rookie and had no idea of its effect.

Went to airport 30min ahead of schedule and started to get sweaty palms as I had no clue how it is nor how it will feel.

Instructor came and my first reaction was "wow, he is young!" but then I calmed myself saying that it is me that is old :O

He debriefed another student and then it was my turn.

I spend a lots of time by simulator but I told him that I find that as ZERO knowledge and I want to learn all from scratch. He agreed with it but said it will surely help me.

Out we went to hangar and there it was LN-HOF C172 in its nice red and white stripes.
He already printed for me the circuits for airport, local chart and checklist and explained.

I was trying to gulp as much as I could... Climb straight ahead at 70kt until 500ft turn left and climb to 1500 accelerate to climb speed, etc.

By the plane he told me "Do the preflight!". WOW only time I did that is in simulator! Anyhow, checklist in hand and off we go.
Preflight went good but I was too detailed (I guess most first timers are) and had no clue on how fuel should smell in that drain bottle :\ I paid SPECIAL attention to surfaces and nuts&bolts :)

In we go and do the cockpit preparation (yes me again). He got the clearance and we start-up. "Start the engine!".... ahemm... "HOW?!"...."Like the car!". Now I start laughing...I love this instructor he gives me hands-on from start and yet teaches me how to do it.

Now lets taxi... yeah, stupid me, trying to do it with yoke...using rudders I start pressing brakes instead of steering... I find pedals awkward for few minutes and then get used to them. I fiddle with throttles as my speed jumps up and down and tower must have had a good laugh seeig some "drunken" style taxiing.

Cleared for holding point runway 09 behind a B737 from Braathens. They look pretty mighty from C172 :D

Weather reports winds 110@7Kt CAVOK

Remaining checks done, takeoff briefing done "Engine out during roll we stop, engine out before 500 ft land in area of 45 degrees relative to nose, after 500 180degree to land". "Ready?" "OH YEAH!". "Your controls!" "WHAT?!".
Yes, I should take off. OK give me numbers! (remember I am simulator cruncher :) ) Rotate at 55 climb at 70. OK

Call to tower by me which was OK as I use Vatsim a lot so no surprise here but for how great I can hear the tower.

This little thingy accelerates, and that 2500m runway looks huge!

We rotate and as I climb simualtor modus kicks in and I almost tell him "positive rate, gear up!". Before I mange to chuckle I get caught by sudden wind gusts. They comming from everywhere it seemed for me. OK, calm down and fly the plane I think. We go to 500ft and I initiate turn with 25 degree bank IN AVERAGE... I never imagined turbulence could influence so much. It was going from 15 to 35... I start sweating.

Then Instructor calms me down and say it is normal and nothing to worry about (when I got home I saw that they reported in SIGMET winds at 650ft as 170@30G40 or so and that combined wit terrain in Trondheim makes for free rollercoaster ticket).

Well... This plane is smaller than my car... we hit up and downdrafts and the little mosquitoe was shaking as crazy. Then I realize I am charging at 110kt to which my instructor laughs and says no wonder we get beaten up. We slow to 90kt and he adjusts throttles as I hve full hands on yoke.

Who said simulator is easier? Perhaps when tings are calm. Yes, I had no problems scanning instruments nor with orientation but to stay focused when you are getting battered like that can't be compared to simulator at all!

We went over city of Trondheim with me still having deathgrip on yoke and peddaling like mad trying to catch the ball. My brain slaps me and tells me that I am worse than turbulence. I relax and so does the plane.

Now is time to feel the controls. We go steep right... steep left... my stomack goes haywire with pizza and pepsi max making revolution... we go up.... we go down.... time to show yawing... NO WAY I give up! My stomack is quitting. It was enough to ride through that turbulence in this little mosquitoe and not have panic attack and now this combined with my meal was too much.

I pass the control and focus totlly on not puking! Worst mistake EVER! I start sweting cold, get nauseus, etc. Instructor was way cool and flew as calm as possible. He cured me. "Take the sickbag!"... Nah I am too macho for it... fool... We go through that patch of turbulence again and I explode. As I fill the sickbag we touchdown as smooth as silk.

My reaction? "Oh my God I am idiot!" I kick myself. My second reaction? "This is awesome!".

I scheuled medical check right afterwards but due to my job couldnt do it fast. Was anxious how the medic will go but it went well.

Now I got Class 2 and I am ordering theory. Hopefully next week I am off in the skies again but now without Pizza, Pepsi Max and with more confidence that the wings will not break off! :O

I will post next log soon after the next lesson.

Thanks for reading.

mazzy1026
10th Nov 2005, 11:52
Hi Cheerful - great writeup :ok:

Where you flying from?

I was too detailed
You can never be too detailed, especially in pre-flight checks. Your instructor should/will show you the detailed walkaround, and should take about an hour to complete, as he will explain what you are looking at.

Don't worry about puking, it's natural when you get thrown around like that. Look forward to your next post,

Maz :ok:

cessna 152 pilot
11th Nov 2005, 00:54
Great write up Cheerful,

I remember my fist lesson when the wheels left the ground.

One thing that i learnt is that you go to macdonalds after the lesson, never before.

Great to see that you have caught the bug too!!!

Cessna 152 pilot