PDA

View Full Version : Garmin equal Microsoft

Constelation
10th Nov 2005, 08:41
With the launch of Garmin 396 enhanced features something starts to puzzle me.
Isnīt Garmin doing the same that Microsoft did with Windows some years ago?
Though they have the tech they are delaying to obtain more profits and they lead the customer to a certein vicious behavior.Who bought the 296 last year will probably wants to buy the new one to have acess to the new features creating a psychological addiction to the products. No one wants to stay behind in terms of safety.
I donīt have anyone but in 2003 I was interessed in the PilotIII. Iīm glad I didnīt buy it because it seams like Windows95 to me nowadays.

Rod1
10th Nov 2005, 10:44
I would disagree on the safety as far as the UK is concerned. GPS is assisting in VFR conditions. Provided you understand how to use your unit, you do not get much more out of any of them other than your position. I started with a Garmin 55AVD and now have a 196 which I have no intention of changing for many years. Most of the advance features on the 396 like weather info do not work in the uk, and I would probably integrate them into my home built glass panel rather than the Garmin option.

Microsoft stopped launching yet another new version of windows because the upgrade ratio dropped off to the point it became embarrassing.

Rod1

IO540
10th Nov 2005, 11:38
Provided you understand how to use your unit, you do not get much more out of any of them other than your position

(1) If you have no understanding of a GPS and just switch it on and leave it for a bit, it should show you your position (plus numeric data on track, speed etc).

(2) If you use a GPS properly, you load the planned route into it and it gives you guidance along the entire route, with numeric data on ETA etc.

To do (2) one can either load the waypoints manually (time consuming) or load them in from a flight planning program such as Navbox. The latter method eliminates all sorts of possible user errors, and since one also has the plog printed off the program, the route in the GPS matches the plog. Very handy, and very hard to make a gross error.

bar shaker
10th Nov 2005, 14:47
196s are now going for around Ģ400, which is not much more than Pilot IIIs were two years ago.

That's excellent value for money and I have no interest in upgrading mine.

Mine was even better value, as I won it in the Flyer competition, late 2002. Thanks Flyer :)

egbt
10th Nov 2005, 16:14
Microsoft stopped launching yet another new version of windows because the upgrade ratio dropped off to the point it became embarrassing.

Have no (or plenty of) fear MS is working on new versions but is finding the technology hard going, however lack of demand, especially for Office upgrades is a major issue for them.

XP Server edition R2 soon then Longhorn (renamed Vista) 2006/7 to replace XP client but much scaled down from original plans. Longhorn R2 2007/8.

Major changes: new user interface, Vector graphics, improved search and security features and a lot of techi stuff.

Source: Gartner Group presentation Tue 8th Nov, Cannes France.

More on thread I just got my 196 and see no reason to regret that decision, colour on a 296 would be nice but not for the cost of 10 hours flying!

Rod1
10th Nov 2005, 18:18
IO540

Yes, that is exactly how I use it and all I get out is my position in relation to my next TP, which was available on the old 55AVD. I almost never use the map, but may start when I have the PDA fully integrated into the solid-state giro and the GPS to provide the position. I will then have all the data displayed on the virtual HSI, including the full GPS numbers relevant to the program. The GPS will then be free to just display the map, as the numbers will be on the HSI

Will all be up and flying by end of Jan with a bit of luck!

Rod1

Constelation
10th Nov 2005, 19:39
The reference to safety was simply psychological. Iīm aware that handsets GPS are for VFR use only and with auxiliary functions.
The questions is: Wouldnīt u like to have the latest tech gadget when u are flying? or do u prefere flying forever with your old 55?

Launching a new GPS handset every year instead of doing less periodicaly but doing it better with all the features could lead to a phenomenon like MS.

No one is obliged to change GPS every new yearīs day but u have to agree that your life is safer with 396 rather than 55( forget the free advertise).

Cusco
11th Nov 2005, 04:07
I was never quite sure why the Garmin 295 lasted such a short time:

Mine's pretty good but they seem to have stopped selling accessories for it:

I tried to get in-car kit a while back with no joy.(Don't need it now though: have a Tom Tom 700 which is the dog's ********)

I did get a Garmin295 Update from website for 29bucks for aviation database though, but I expect these will pack up soon (like Pilot3 updates), forcing pilots to buy a newer model to keep up-to-date and safe.

Cheers

Cusco

IO540
11th Nov 2005, 09:31
My rather sad observation is that ALL pilot shops are so full of old junk, almost completely unchanged for years (with the exception of ATPL study material and leather jacket fashion changes) that a new GPS is the only thing worth looking at!

As an electronics engineer of many years' experience I remain amazed at how backward even the latest GPS units are. Poor screen resolution, poor data interfaces, poor rendition of the database.

One day, somebody will do what is becoming obvious to anyone who has played with digital mapping (rip off a few gigs of public domain 3D terrain data such as that used by NASA World Wind or Google Earth) and put it inside a modern 640x480 lightweight product, giving virtual VFR.

The problem is that due to Garmin's firm position in the generously margined retail channel, the only way to market it will be as a PDA product for something like an HP4700.

jabberwok
12th Nov 2005, 01:28
The problem is that due to Garmin's firm position in the generously margined retail channel, the only way to market it will be as a PDA product for something like an HP4700.

Exactly why Pocket FMS is becoming so popular. Screen size double my GPSIII, current AIRAC data and colour as well. It's a serious alternative to a stand alone GPS unit.

IO540
12th Nov 2005, 07:39
You just need a way to make it import the Jepp Flitestar updates :O :O

Tim_CPL
13th Nov 2005, 14:47
Don't know if it is available in the UK, but Garmin have ventured into the PDA VFR arena....
http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600a/

- Tim

PS I was a Garmin user until they stopped producing updates for my trusty GPS-90. I then moved over to a Lowrance-1000 and have never regretted it.

Just looked it up, is for US only - sorry! I must say though, the 396 looks like a winner for us in the USA with XM. Now they just need to add traffic and TIS and they will be done....