PDA

View Full Version : Brush up on Emergency Procedures

Hour Builder
7th Nov 2005, 14:51
Hello everyone, a quick question related to some topics recently mentioned here and on the flyer forum, relating to light aircraft crashes. Being new to flying and hearing all the recent crashes and near misses taking place around the world I am thinking that I should do some sim training on spins and other emergency procedures, just to be on the safe side. Anyone know where I can do this in the Surrey area?

Please PM me if you have info or prices.

HB

eharding
7th Nov 2005, 15:44
Did you really mean spin training in a simulator?

I don't think there are many sims around which can really
help much - especially if you have never experienced spin
recovery for real - which I would highly recommend.

Not sure about Surrey, but across the border at White Waltham
you can get spin recovery training in a PA28, C172, Pitts S2 or an
Extra 300 - take your pick.

Hour Builder
7th Nov 2005, 16:58
well i don't really know what i mean. a chap on the flyer forum posted this comment regarding emergency procedures, "I learnt more in 4 days in a sim than in the whole of the rest of my training." And I just wondered where you could do that?

Genghis the Engineer
8th Nov 2005, 09:28
The emergency procedures he's talking about almost certainly refer to things like fuel blockages, single engine failures, hydraulic leaks, instrument failures - the sort of problem that *can* afflict bigger more complex aeroplanes than most of us fly.

For people flying single engined reasonably simple aeroplanes in VMC the best place to practice emergencies is almost certainly, in my opinion, in the aeroplane with an instructor sat next to you.

G

strafer
9th Nov 2005, 14:58
I'm not being facetious, but spin recovery is not really the issue. It's about NOT getting into a spin in the first place.
This means (for one example) a more intuitive understanding of AoA than you probably have/had as a low houred PPL. blockages, single engine failures, hydraulic leaks, instrument failures None of these should end in a spin (Genghis, I understand that you would realise this - I'm trying to clarify for Hour Builder).

I'd suggest reading The Killing Zone if you haven't already. That contains most of the common ways pilots manage to turn survivable emergencies into fatalities.