PDA

View Full Version : PPL...Help please!!

Londonboy29
7th Nov 2005, 09:37
Hello

I'm new to this forum and just had a question re: the PPL groudschool.

I've now got all of the books for this, but just wanted to know whether these books need to be gone through in detail, or if a confuser can be used?

For example, with schools advertising 3 week PPL's etc...how is one supposed to go through all of the books in that time!!

Really I'm trying to find out if I need to go through all the books in great detail...or if I can just browse them and use a confuser?

I'm planning to start within the next 2 weeks...so any help would be very much appreciated.

Kindest regards.

Naveed

Dude~
7th Nov 2005, 10:16
You say 3 weeks so I presume you are off to the States. Well in my experience, you need to read all of the books thoroughly before you get there. There will certainly not be enough time to spare for any useful ammount of study. None of it is difficult, but if you are to learn to fly quickly and efficiently you need to know the theory.

I suggest you read all of the books (except perhaps no 5) and do the entire confuser before you go. Then you will be able to sit the exams when you get there to get them out the way, and use your knowledge to support your flying trainng.

Theoretical knowledge is not something you should skimp on when learning to fly.

Best of luck.

Londonboy29
7th Nov 2005, 10:34
Dude

Many thanks for the reply.

Would you say that 3 months would be sufficient for this (considering that I work, this would be work done in the eves and weekends)?

Many thanks again.

Naveed

Dude~
7th Nov 2005, 10:52
Oh absolutley! I did half of all the commercial ATPL theory in 3 months. It shouldn't take anywhere near 3 months. My point was just that it needs doing. I can't remember how long it took me because it was years ago, but at a guess 3/4 weeks of evening study - I think the PPL ground study is typically 100 hrs ish, but don't quote me. Anyway it depends greatly on what foundation of knowledge you have, how well you study and how motivated you are!

You will probably find that the first time you read some of the things in the books, it won't sink in, don't worry. Once you start doing the confuser you will find yourself referencing back to the books for clarification and this is when the real learning is done, ie. working out why you got a question wrong.

At least that's how it worked for me.

flyingmad
7th Nov 2005, 11:36
hi londonboy

i went to the states a couple of months ago and instead of getting my ppl in 3 weeks it took me 4/5.
one of the reasons for this was because i hadnt completed the exams before i went. do as many as you can.
re the books yes u do pretty much need to know the books in a lot of detail. however you can reduce this workload for some of the exams by using the ppl confuser. this has exact if not similar questions to the real exams. do note though that this will only work for the easier exams (communications/human factors) etc as the other ones (law/navigation) do need some understanding from core textbooks (pratt/thom) hope that helps let me know if u need any more advice.
where u doing ur ppl by the way?

Londonboy29
7th Nov 2005, 11:54
Many thanks Dude/flyingmad

I'm actually being seconded to Houston in the US for 18 months, so am looking to do it there.

Only trouble I'm having is finding a JAA school anywhere nearby!!

If either of you guys know of one it would be much apprecieted??

N

Happy Wanderer
8th Nov 2005, 10:34
Guys,

I'm about to start my PPL at Coventry, and aim to get it done as quickly as possible. Had my second trial flight there yesterday (at different schools and on different aircraft) - absolutely loved it. Fantastic weather - flew over my home village. Starting things proper this Saturday.

Which course books are you using? I posted a question on this yesterday, but probably too early to get many responses yet. I've had a quick look through both the Jeremy Pratt books AND the Trevor Thom series at my local club - both look good.

What's a 'confuser' by the way? I'm confused!

Many thanks.

Hour Builder
8th Nov 2005, 10:44
Londonboy29 I read all the material and used the confuser at the end, and I passed all my PPL ground school on the first attempts in 3 weeks. It can be done.

Using the confuser alone, is not safe in my mind!

HB

Lister Noble
8th Nov 2005, 11:16
I have the 2004 Air Pilots Manuals from Air Pilot Publishing ,they are CAA Lasors recommended and comply with JAR-FCL and the new NPPL training syllabus .
I find them very good,clear explanations with lots of question and answer exercisies for each chapter.

Lister:D

aerobat 1971
8th Nov 2005, 11:57
All I would add is this: Don't treat it as just a process to pass the exams. Make sure that you actually understand each subject in depth - there are very good reasons why we are required to learn these subjects. After passing an exam, the consequences of a lack of knowledge in any of the subjects can vary from mildly embarrasing to potentially fatal!!

Happy Wanderer: which school have you picked at Coventry? I'm currently going through my PPL there with Almat.

Cheers,

David

Irv
8th Nov 2005, 12:25
I suspect if you are in Houston for 18 months, you might want to get an FAA Certificate (PPL) at whichever school nearby feels right for you, rather than try and find a JAA one. That'll mean doing the US ground studies.

You can fly on your FAA cert when you get back to the UK, but I'd get some dual-navex time when you do. You can later convert to a JAA PPL if you want, but you might not want to initially.

Make sure you know and comply with TSA regs on training 'aliens'. (lots of info on PPRUNE)

Happy Wanderer
8th Nov 2005, 22:05
aerobat 1971 - I've gone with Coventry Flying School. I posted on here a few weeks ago asking for feedback on the half dozen or so schools at Cov, and CFS got a good mention. Against my better judgement (not to say some good advice), I didn't get round to visiting ALL the schools - only Atlantic and CFS. I took trial flights with both, and in the end plumped for CFS - an instinct thing really, fantastic trial yesterday/Monday (glorious weather), good feel about the instructor + a brand new PA28 which i much preferred to the C152.

If I take to flying as i very much want/hope to, i'll consider the commercial route at Atlantic. They did seem a very professional outfit, but more geared up I think to the post-PPL student.

Incidentally, I did try Almat. I left 3 answerphone messages on their 0121 number, but didn't get a call back.

How far are you with your PPL?

Cheers.

englishal
9th Nov 2005, 06:56
If I were you I'd forget about JAA if you're going to be in Houston for 18 months. The FAA ticket is issued on the spot for no additional fees, there is one "online" exam to take, and you can use its privileges world wide. If you feel you really want a JAA one on your return, it is a piece of cake to transfer if you have > 100 hours (can't remember exactly what, airlaw paper and RT or something silly).......

aerobat 1971
9th Nov 2005, 06:59
Well, just coming up towards first solo at present. . . when the weather finally lets me do it! Every time I've been in the last few weeks it's either been low cloud and no flying, or strong crosswinds and no solo-ing!

Good choice not to go with Atlantic for PPL - they're very much a commercial training organisation (and a very good one at that), but it's run as a pure training organisation and not a flying club. Having said that, if you then want to go on to do CPL/IR/ATPL then Atlantic are an excellent organisation for this type of training.

Surprised that Glynn at Almat didn't call you back - it's not normal for that to happen.

Main thing is to enjoy the flying, but at this time of year it's getting a bit limited!!

Cheers,

David