PDA

View Full Version : PA28RT landing gear

mb339
5th Nov 2005, 17:15
I've been flying with a Piper PA28RT Turbo Arrow IV and a doubt came to my mind:

In PA28's case, when you retract the landing gear, nose gear should be helped by dynamic pressure and the contrary when you extend it.

Manual writes: Vlo retraction: 111 Kias and Vlo extention: 133 Kias.

It seems a contraddiction to have a lower Vlo (EXT) than Vlo (RET), looking at nose gear movements!

Any explanations?

Thanks a lot!

john_tullamarine
5th Nov 2005, 22:00
Consider that

(a) there are main gear assys to look at as well

(b) the limitations are normally associated with structural concerns .. gear doors and fairings, for instance. Often there will be a different limit for ret/ext and operating.

(c) the design probably didn't concern itself all that much with which way the nose wheel articulated.

So long since I even looked at an Arrow, much less flew one, I can't recall the articulation in any detail so the above should be read in very general terms.

Jhieminga
7th Nov 2005, 11:34
The lower Vlo speed for retraction may also be linked to the fact that with a retracting gear the nose gear actuator has to slow down the movement more than it has to assist it. At 133 knots the airflow may be pushing the actuator in at a larger (flow) rate than the system can handle.