PDA

View Full Version : Airbus tables

scud
4th Nov 2005, 21:18
Hello,

Can any Airbus 320/330/340 pilots out there indicate if you are allowed to have your tables out during take-off and landing, such as to hold and display your plates? Please indicate your airline.

Where I come from, the company (Air Canada) claims that it's not approved by Airbus. However, in my previous life, when I flew the 320 for almost 8 years, it was encouraged by supervisory pilots. Why would it otherwise have a clip on the table, if not for holding charts? Any documentation from Airbus?

Thanks,

Scud

Carnage Matey!
5th Nov 2005, 12:55
In BA it was a strict no-no.

moleslayer
5th Nov 2005, 13:11
Indeed it is a strict no-no...........

FCOM3 part3 SOP's, both the Before Takeoff, & the Landing expanded checklists both require the table to be STOWED.

The MEL lists the tables under 'Furnishings & Linings', if inop.
i.e. stuck in the extended position, they must be REMOVED before flight !

ATB, moley.

Fbwdude
5th Nov 2005, 13:18
I was just checking the sop when Moleslayer wrote about it.It's forbidden by
Airbus.I believe one could get hurt in case of an rto.
Nice for you all.

I mean nice flights for you all.

Dream Land
6th Nov 2005, 00:44
Not allowed where I'm at. :cool:

D.L.

scud
6th Nov 2005, 05:06
Thanks to those who answered.

This debate had been going on for some time since we merged. Some thought that the company was being difficult, industrial relations wise.

Interestingly enough, AC's first order of A-320's back in the early 90's had the tables not installed. Instead, there was this stowable plate holder just below where the table should have been, in the shape of the sort of music holders musicians in orchestras hold up their music with. Trouble with those was, your chart was too far to see, the finer print anyway, and don't think anyone used it.

So I wonder why Airbus put the thing there in the first place, since it involves cost and weight? Did they know about clipboards then? Guess having the proper dining accoutrements was deemed important for the French engineers (I guess the clip would have held the menu), or was it put there so one would have something to hang on to... or put your head down.....?

Anyway, I used to use it all the time while I was wearing a different hat, with company blessing, especially for displaying charts during the approach. Worked real swell.

Scud