PDA

View Full Version : What fun today was

Obs cop
4th Nov 2005, 14:49
Today was a delight of a flight. Was the weather nice? - not really. The aircraft pristine? - functional but plain. So what was so good about today then?

Having planned a solo cross country from Tatenhill to Wellesbourne, the weather was a bit crud to say the least. So I decided that the 15 to 20 kt winds with low level turbulence 1000' agl cloud base, rain showers and moderate visibility was more than ample to shoot a few circuits and then mosey of to a nearby grass strip for a bit of short field practice.

The wind was howling round the field, my feet got wet from the grass, my hands cold from the wind and rain shower, but having checked the aircraft I was happy. Off into the circuit as the only one getting airbourne, a few lumps and bumps throwing the plane around and making it a bit of a handful. A nice tight circuit due to the visibility being quite poor in the aftermath of a shower with not another soul to share it. A few short field landings and take offs to practice my skills then off to the South East. Scud running just beneath the base of the cloud at about 1200' agl, practicing visual nav in a basic aircraft with 10 degrees max drift and a quartermil chart to hand.

Next job was to pinpoint a 500m grass strip inamongst the fields, successsfully completed after about 2 or 3 minutes with the Mk 1 eyeball. Position for an approach to 26 for a touch and go with full flaps, struggling to nail 63 kts for the approach. The short wet grass field will give my warrior no room for error so none of this rubbish about adding 5 knots for this that and the other. The last thing I want here is excess speed so fighting it all the way down finals, I nail 63 and aim to miss the hedge at the threshold by a matter of inches with my wheels. Previous practice reminds me that invariably I am slightly higher than I feel, but by heck that hedge is close now. I don't want a long float so a positive set down, dump the flap and full power to go for a touch and go. Now I am staring at the far end, balancing the yoke. Keeping the weight off the nose wheel, but not wanting to actually rotate early and put the aircraft wrong side of the drag curve. About 30m left as we get airbourne again at exactly 65 kts. My heart is now pumping like crazy, I feel full of adrenaline and decide I'll do one more for practice, but no more to avoid upsetting locals.

Second time round, a better approach, bang on 63 kts again, flare over the hedge, solidly onto the grass then a quicker, more rehearsed drill and we are away at the other end again.

Weather's pants still with loads of choppiness down low. Not another soul in the same patch of sky as me, refresh myself with tracking back to the Lichfield NDB before returning to land.

I only have 100 hours and so could never class myself as experienced. But for all those folks who have their ticket to learn, grab your PPL by the scruff of it's dirty brown pvc wallet and get up there. I had a whale of a time today, remembered just why I like flying and pushed my personal envelope just that little bit more. For me each flight can be a mini adventure and so with PPL and IMCR in hand I am keen to learn but ultimately also looking to safely and carefully develop my skills.

For all whose PPL never gets out of the local area, please, please venture out and diversify your skills. After all a PPL is a licence to learn.

maggioneato
4th Nov 2005, 14:57
Is we as in a second person on board? Surprised you didn't sink in the mud. :p

stiknruda
4th Nov 2005, 15:03
I only have 100 hours

Surely not, you sound like a sky-God to me!

:) :) :)

Stik

Aussie Andy
4th Nov 2005, 16:23
you sound like a sky-God to me! too true! Way too fruity for me!! I am sh1t scared of short grass strips, especially in Warriors, and with 100hrs I wouldn't have gone out on the day you described... more power to you; you must be more current than I was (or am!) with typically flying once every 2, more often 3, weeks when lucky...!

Andy :ok:

MichaelJP59
4th Nov 2005, 16:38
Not sure how you nail 63.0 knots approach speed in turbulent conditions, in the aircraft I fly the ASI would be jumping around +/- 5 or 10 knots! Mind you with aiming to miss the hedge by inches eyes are probably best outside the cockpit...

Wouldn't mind watching it from a safe distance though:)

Andy_R
4th Nov 2005, 16:41
C'mon Guys, give the guy a little artistic licence!! :suspect:

Whirlybird
4th Nov 2005, 17:34
Obs cop,

I know just what you mean! Two of us decided to fly from Sleap to Wolverhampton on Wednesday, but had to turn back halfway when the supposedly broken cloud at 2000 ft turned out to be a solid wall practically down to the deck. So Paul did some circuits, then we had lunch, then I flew around the local area and asked him to give me a couple of PFLs unexpectedly. Then I did a few circuits - like you, I thought 15 kts gusting 25 or more was a good time to practise.

We both decided that it had been a really nice day, and that we'd have to do it again sometime. And we'd learned a lot too. Yet normally we won't fly unless we know that we can go somewhere and spend most of the day airborne. I think that's just changed.

Obs cop
4th Nov 2005, 18:34
Thankyou Whirly for taking the post in the spirit it was intended.

I didn't put it on the board to demonstrate how good or bad a pilot I am, just to demonstrate that you don't need perfect weather to enjoy and benefit from a flight.

In any case I am by no means a sky-god. Todays list of minor errors included walking out to the aircraft without the key and then having to go back and get it. I then took 5 attempts to coax the engine into life and wondered if I ever would. My first circuit at Tatenhill was flown with 10 degrees of flap all the way round and on 2 out of 3 occassions overshot the centre line turning onto finals.

I floated the first touch and go but made the numbers for the second. My circuits at the known airfield were my tester to practice short field techniques before going to a previously unknown location (although I had spent 30 mins with the POH performance tables and reference speeds, spoken to the owners of the field about condition/ slope/ obstructions, sought advice from an instructor and added in quite a lengthy list of my own continue/abort criteria).

Likewise my nav heading was maintained +/- 10 degrees. Nailed is not really how I would describe the speeds throughout my approach as they were indeed +/- 5 kts due to turbulence (note to self, be careful when using descriptive terms). One of my continue/abort criteria was to be at 63 kts no more no less as a last look speed for the grass strip and I had to nail that. Too fast and I would have floated too far, too slow and I could well pancake onto the runway causing damage.

In essence, my post was not for my ego as I consider myself to be an inexperienced but developing pilot. The post was meant to promote PPL flying as the diverse and interesting affair it is.

Sorry to disapoint you Maggioneato but We was me and the aircraft:)

maggioneato
4th Nov 2005, 19:05
Not at all disappointed, just winding you up. Sounds like you had fun while I was at home painting. Good on yer. :ok:

stiknruda
4th Nov 2005, 21:46
Todays list of minor errors included walking out to the aircraft without the key and then having to go back and get it. I then took 5 attempts to coax the engine into life and wondered if I ever would

I'm sorry but having read the litany above, I feel that you already deserve promotion to Uber-Sky God.

Stik:eek: :eek: :eek:

J.A.F.O.
4th Nov 2005, 22:16
Cheers, Obs Cop.

I've been thinking a lot about the weather and personal limits this week and I enjoyed your post immensely.

PH-UKU
4th Nov 2005, 22:30
Good on you - thoroughly enjoyed (and related to) your sentiments. I love flying my wee PA28 Warrior, and have been to some little strips that (sadly) no-one else at the club ventures to
:( - they don't know what they are missing.

Every landing for me is a short-field landing, even though I have a 8000 foot runway available .... but practice makes perfect.

Have you tried short field technique of 2 stages of flap, rotate at 57kts and get into ground effect and then check forward... gets you airborne and off the ground a wee bit quicker than 65kts, with less wear and tear on the noseleg ?

I am now lucky to have access to a short field performance aircraft and have been investigating 300m fields in the mountains .... :ok:

But like you I have enjoyed pushing my envelope (and experience) that wee bit extra, not recklessly, but a little at a time.

Looking forward to the rain clearing at 12 tomorrow and then it's lunch on Skye and some scenic flying :D

Fly safe :ok: - thanks for sharing :ok: