PDA

View Full Version : Minimum climb gradient?

FatFlyer
3rd Nov 2005, 03:09
Question from a tech exam asks what is the minimum climb gradient on a SID?
I know some with terrain or airspace restrictions have minimum gradient printed on the chart but if not, is there a standard minimum gradient? and where would you find the reference?
many thanks

Old Smokey
3rd Nov 2005, 03:51
FatFlyer,

The MINIMUM Climb Gradient is 3.3% (2.0°). If a greater gradient is required, it will be published on the SID.

You'll find the reference in PANS-OPS, I'm away from home base at the moment without my reference library so can't pass on the reference, sorry.

Regards,

Old Smokey

ea306
3rd Nov 2005, 04:48
You can also read about it in the front section of the Jeppessen Manual as well as the AERAD Publiction from the UK

gengis
3rd Nov 2005, 07:26
Jeppesen SIDs are designed with a "Procedural Design Gradient" consisting of 2.5% of "Obstacle Identification Surface" plus 0.8% of "Increasing Obstacle Clearance" = 3.3%.

If no obstacles are a factor with this 3.3%, that is your SID minimum climb gradient. However, if obstacles require a gradient in excess of this, then additional required gradient information will be published on the SID chart itself - usually in a statement of words format & a table. For example, you may see something like "Runway 18: 3.5% required" or "Runway 09 - 630 ft per nm required" and a table giving the required rate of climb vs groundspeed.

As i mentioned, you only see this information whenever an excess of 3.3% is required; if you don't see anything on the chart, then 3.3% is your minimum climb gradient.