PDA

View Full Version : CAT I Minima

BaconSarnie
1st Nov 2005, 10:42
I was wondering what the start, mid and end requirement RVR's for a CAT I approach are. I am aware that 550m is required for the start end but have read somewhere that mid should be 125m and end 75m. Is this correct?

Ibanez
1st Nov 2005, 11:31
You are correct in saying that the 550m apply to the touch down zone only. However, the mid-point and stop-end RVR requirements should be no less than takeoff minimums as obtained from the Jeppesen plate 10-9.

keithl
1st Nov 2005, 12:05
My understanding is that mid- and stop-end RVRs are only required for LVPs, therefore do not apply to Cat 1 approaches.
Certainly Jar-Ops doesn't differentiate, it only refers to "RVR". (Except for one reference where it says that failure of the mid or stop end RVR equipment has no effect on landing minima for any category of ILS).

BaconSarnie
1st Nov 2005, 12:26
But if landing with RVR's close to 550m then wouldnt that be considered LVP's?

RYR-738-JOCKEY
1st Nov 2005, 12:47
Referring to our SOP's it says:

"Airports approved for CAT II/III will put inot force LVP when weather conditions warrant."

and in regards to CAT II/III approaches:

"RVR reports other than TDZ must be equal to or greater than takeoff minimums but not less than 125m."

Engineer
1st Nov 2005, 13:29
My Part A states approach minima for a CAT I DH of 200ft the TDZ RVR must be 550m or above assuming full facilities ie runway markings, approach, runway edge, threshold and runway end lights are on.

With reference to the 125 and 75m figures. These are quoted in the Take off basic minima.

With runway edge or/and centre lights plus multiple RVR info minima is 150m (Cat A/B aircraft) but can be further reduced to 125m but not less than 75m providing (150 and 75 for Cat D)
1) Approved lateral guidance system used for T/O and
2) R/W protection and facilities equal to CATIII landing ops are available

With reference to LVTO is this not defined when the RVR is less than 400m?

If no LVPs have been established the JAA have temporarily accepted certain conditions

BaconSarnie
1st Nov 2005, 14:48
so if my company minima for departure in LVP's is 150m then my landing minima CAT I is 550 150 150. correct?

givenupp
2nd Nov 2005, 22:57
For Cat I my understanding is that you only require the TDZ RVR, chances are the other two won't even have been measured! (Unless you have ILS to both ends, then hopefully you'll have stopend/TDZ for reciprocal)

Engineer
4th Nov 2005, 18:34
Quoting form JAR-OPS 1.400

(f) The touch-down zone RVR is always controlling. If reported and relevant, the mid point and stop end RVR are also controlling. The minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 125 m or the RVR required for the touch-down zone if less, and 75m for the stop-end. For aeroplanes equipped with a rollout guidance or control system, the minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 75 m.

Note. “Relevant”, in this context, means that part of the runway used during the high speed phase of the landing down to a speed of approximately 60 knots