PDA

View Full Version : The self loading process

VHF FLYER
31st Oct 2005, 20:46
Bit of a moan probably....
but....
would it not be better for all concerned if passengers boarding an aircraft didn't insist on vitually getting undressed before they get in their seats and therefore unblock the aisle for everyone else?
We've all seen it - first person on board - Row 2 - starts looking for that extra special bit of overhead locker for their several bits of handluggage.
Then off comes the coat, folded carefully, neatly, ever so.....looks in overhead locker again for that special space. Then it's the jacket...same procedure. Then they realise they've left their book in the bag in the overhead locker...need to get it out... now ....can't find it.... was in here somewhere...ahhh found it... now I can sit down.
Thinks 'My my those people do look rather cross and wet and windblown should have got on first like me'.
Maybe ground crew could ask SLFs to remove their coats before boarding - would make the whole awful process better for everyone.
Also what if people with window seats were asked to board first?
;)

TightSlot
31st Oct 2005, 20:56
Maybe ground crew could ask SLFs to remove their coats before boarding I absolutely agree that this situation is regrettable. During boarding I've tried to keep things moving, but there is always somebody who slows things up for the others. Sometimes it is selfishness, sometimes stupidity and sometimes just genuine human confusion in a strange environment.

You could ask at the gate, but people tend not to listen, or else will only hear what they want to hear. Those who do listen and comply will tend to be the same people that would not have caused the problem in the first place.

I'm obviously feeling a bit grumpy tonight - apols!!!

VHF FLYER
31st Oct 2005, 21:44
but it's worth a try though isn't it? People's habits can and do change - remember it's only a few years back that people used to expect to enjoy a smoke on board.

Avman
31st Oct 2005, 21:46
It's mainly down to poor organisation (i.e. couldn't care less - because we don't get paid enough) by the handling agents. A simple, strictly enforced, boarding by rows starting from the rear would see a notable improvement. It's done by many in the USA. Of course, I recognise that this isn't possible when pax are bussed to the a/c! An alternative might be to equip FAs with whips - although many of these would probably go missing on night stops :E ;)

manintheback
1st Nov 2005, 08:10
I so miss the Swissair boarding system of zones and not rows. It may as well have been done by shoe size for all the good it did.

PAXboy
1st Nov 2005, 09:55
Over the past ten years or so, I have seen all attempts at boarding by zones or rows to fail. The pax have - for the most part - developed a herding instinct.

I think that this is largely driven by the fact that people are bringing more junk into the cabin and want to get their junk in the locker before anyone else. So they present in the queue irrespective of which row they are in. Staff are very reluctant to challenge these people, as they almost certainly be verbally abused. On the occasions that biz bax are boarded first, the situation is always made worse - in the exact way that VHF Flyer describes.

Whilst we continue to board a/c by a single gangway, this problem will continue. I often see long haul widebodies boarded through a single door - even if a second air bridge is available. My presumption is that someone is saving on staff. This is the one aspect of airport behaviour that HAS to be addressed before A380 enters service. :ugh:

FormerFlyer
1st Nov 2005, 10:10
Would surely make sense for twin aisles (with 2 entry doors) to be boarded with 2 airbridges - one for each aisle.

And tough luck for the J class pax who will have other pax rumbling through their cabin - at least they'll all be on their way faster.

Just my tuppence.

cheers ;)
FF

PAXboy
1st Nov 2005, 12:50
Many airports have their l/h terminals equipped with two bridges but always both on the Port side. This allows maintenance vehicles to service from the Starboard. Occasionally, I have seen F + J board on the front bridge and all others on the second. However, this still means that you are boarding 75% of the a/c one-at-a-time.

For short and medium haul, they should board J last, so that they are not blocking the aisle but J class pax often believe that, if they are on the a/c for an extra ten minutes, they will gain even more value from their ticket price. :E

Final 3 Greens
1st Nov 2005, 13:51
PAXboy

More likely that C class short haul pax know that if they board last, say on an A319, then their overhead bins will be full of luggage from the rear.

One of the drivers for paying C is to take advantage of the 2 pcs of hand luggage allowance, so they wish to get on first and secure their turf, whcih they've paid for several times over.

I saw some proactive measures by BA handling staff in Brussels last week, removing larger (but legit) cases from Y pax and promising that they would be returned at the jetway on arrival (promise was homoured.)

If this was done regularly and the boarding was by row number from the back, it might work well.

skydriller
1st Nov 2005, 15:24
Ive been flying with Lufthansa around Europe quite alot recently on their mini-jets, and they have a system whereby if you have a big rolly or dufflebag as hand luggage it gets tagged and put on a trolly at the ramp to go in the hold, then you get it back from similar trolly when you arrive. This seems to work well, as the bins are smaller though never seem full up, but they wont let anyone off the aeroplane until these bags are loaded from the hold onto the trolly and placed infront of the aeroplane at the other end.....

...As far as the dressing/undressing bit is concerned, I have only come across this in the winter when the trek outside to the aeroplane requires a coat, but once in the aeroplane you are hot in a Tshirt & sweater....In which case Im as guilty as the next person, so I dont think there is a cure for this!!

Regards, SD..

chornedsnorkack
1st Nov 2005, 16:35
So, where are the winter overclothes supposed to be stowed? Especially in narrowbodies?

The Ilyushin widebodies, BTW, have boarding to the belly, where the passengers can stow part of luggage, and ascend the stairs to main deck. The stairs are blocked in flight, however. Any experiences with those planes?

VHF FLYER
1st Nov 2005, 17:59
chornedsnorkack

Thanks for reminding me of the big Ilyushins although I have only flown on the IL86 - you're absolutely right!!! And what a great idea.

You walk out to this large widebody (probably as big as a 763 or so) and climb up integral steps into what we might think of as the hold but done out like a left luggage office.
You put your bags / hold baggage/ hand baggage on a shelf where it is secured for the flight. You then go upstairs to the main cabin where you simply put your hat and coat on the shelf above your seat.
Reverse happens when landing.

On reflection one of the best loading/unloading experiences ever.
Take note Boeing / Airbus

TightSlot
1st Nov 2005, 18:16
I watched this process at Larnaca the other day - They were parked next door.

Although a lovely idea, I would be interested to know what the fuel penalty is for carrying three (yes 3!!!) sets of airstairs around the world. This on an aircraft that (I'm told) has less than sporty performance.

Does anybody know more about this?

VHF FLYER
1st Nov 2005, 18:21
sure the big Illy was not a great flying experience but for innovation - 10/10
Imagine something like that on a B777 or A330

Rollingthunder
1st Nov 2005, 18:57
Aircraft airstairs are notoriously difficult to maintain, even with only one on the B737. We steered away from them other than on the aircraft used for high north operations.

Today you don't want people milling around on the ramp waiting their turn to climb into a hold to retrieve their bags. Even fully fit individuals. Think about the elderly and disabled to one extent or another.

VHF FLYER
1st Nov 2005, 20:03
Rolling Thunder

I think you've missed the point - probably never had the pleasure of a large Ilyushin.

The system works by people entering and leaving the aircraft at the lower level of the fuselage essentially a lower deck for bags as sometimes found on a ship. The airstairs are therefore quite small.

They then go up some internal stairs to the main cabin deck where there are no scrums to find that precious locker space for oversized hand baggage because the bags are all downstairs.

There are no people milling around the tarmac just happy bunnies heading straight for the terminal building because they already have their bags and won't need to endure the horrors of baggage reclaim.
As I said before great piece of innovation - I know it's fashionable to sneer at anything Russian but they have come up with a few clever ideas too!

Rollingthunder
1st Nov 2005, 20:16
And the less fit pax do what?

When the Russians stop loading livestock in the cabins and having people sitting in lavs or standing for take-offs and landings, I'll have more respect.

VHF FLYER
1st Nov 2005, 20:29
The less fit passengers do what they do anywhere else.
Taking your own bags on board is optional not compulsory.

Have taken 17 internal Russian flights this year and numerous others in previous years - never seen anyone standing up nor seen any livestock.
Anyway you're not interested - closed mind.

Rollingthunder
1st Nov 2005, 20:37
Once upon a time I lead a course in "Closed Minds".

Happy if Russian flights have grown into the 20th century....finally.

But, I would hike out rather than fly any of them...closed or open minded....still.

chornedsnorkack
2nd Nov 2005, 07:44
Hm. How do you ensure people do not put their luggage into the Business bins?

If the overhead bins are not assigned to specific rows underneath?

If the Business class is boarded last, how do you force the Coach people to walk through without stopping and putting items overhead?

(Of course, if the Business has longer pitch and wider seats, there might be opportunities for additional lower-level storage that might be accessible without standing up - even during takeoff/landing)

If the Business travellers could be ensured storage space even when boarding last, they could enjoy their lounges - and perhaps even the privilege of arriving last and having shorter minimum allowance for checkin and security.

Of course, a problem with the large Ilyushins is that the lower-level stowage is not accessible in-flight - which the overhead bins are (at least in cruise). Some other planes I think have wardrobes in one end of cabin.

sixmilehighclub
2nd Nov 2005, 11:35
Rolling Thunder

I have to admit I also have unfond memories of internal ruski flights.

Right hand forward doors sealed shut to enable more baggage to be stacked in the galley/ door areas, unsecured. Announcements at the end of flights saying how pleased they are to advise us that by the end of the year, most aircraft will be fitted with oxygen masks, sitting down to find that both yourself and colleague have no seatbelt.

Problem is, taking the train internally is labourious, a security risk and filthy, so flying was the preferred option.

RevMan2
2nd Nov 2005, 13:02
How do you stop economy pax stuffing the business class bins?

By closing them prior to boarding and stopping non-business class passengers from opening them. (In exactly the same way as you stop economy pax from invading the business class loos...)

And as for boarding efficiency.
Studies have shown that boarding by row numbers, rear sections first is about as efficient as boarding individually by name.
The Lufthansa/Swiss concept of zones (window, middle, aisle) is a good one, but frequently falls over because the boarding staff don't enforce it or because the boarding announcement is duff.

chornedsnorkack
2nd Nov 2005, 15:46
By closing them prior to boarding and stopping non-business class passengers from opening them. (In exactly the same way as you stop economy pax from invading the business class loos...)
Exactly the same way might not work... after all, a flight attendant is likely to be in a jumpseat in position to bodily block the aisle if anyone from Coach attempts to move forward to enter the business class lavatory OR cockpit... but the embarking Coach passengers legitimately pass by business seats and bins, and aisles are meant for one person, so a flight attendant might be in trouble trying to see or reach a passenger misbehaving in a crowded aisle during embarkation...

Pax Vobiscum
2nd Nov 2005, 17:19
Slightly off topic, but the other clever design I like about ILWs is the 'fresh' air outlet set into the back of the seat in front of you, rather than the 'ceiling' three feet above your head (or in the more 'modern' style, totally absent). This means that:

a) I can actually feel its effects;

b) I can easily adjust it.

Other manufacturers, please copy! (though, I guess it's a bvgger to shift the seat rows :O)

VHF FLYER
2nd Nov 2005, 17:49
Probably the best conventional method we have now is by loading through an airbridge at the second door. F and C Class pax turn left, the rest turn right.

Alternatively the LCC approach of high numbered seats boarding by the rear steps and low via the front would work better if the passengers were smarter:)

FormerFlyer
2nd Nov 2005, 20:04
I'll never forget one EDI despatcher always loading all our pax on via the rear stairs - never had a problem as they then raced to the front where I was stood and took their seats.

Always had a quick turnround there.

cheers ;)
FF

Middle Seat
3rd Nov 2005, 12:04
So much of it would be a moot point if (a) luggage manufacturers stopped making luggage with wheels and (b) airlines requested narrower overhead bins which would force people to check bags.

I used to carry on my bag all the time, but I got sick of the fight for the overhead. Now I check the damn thing. I find that in the end, there's less stress....besides, I hate lugging the damn thing when I have to change planes enroute from one coast to the other.

chornedsnorkack
3rd Nov 2005, 12:22
Obviously, it is pointless to ask the manufacturers to refrain frommaking wheeled luggage... it has so much legitimate purposes.

Airlines, however, might impose a rule forbidding any wheeled luggage in cabin - if it has wheels then, even if it fits the weight and size limits for unwheeled luggage, it has to be checked.

Decreasing the size of overhead bins to force people to check bags would be a poor move. But the airlines might decrease and enforce the cabin luggage weight/size limits, so as to give a better fit to the present luggage bins...

skydriller
3rd Nov 2005, 12:24
So much of it would be a moot point if (a) luggage manufacturers stopped making luggage with wheels and (b) airlines requested narrower overhead bins which would force people to check bags.

Errrr.... No....

This discussion would be a Mute point if airlines could guarrentee your checked luggage would arrive the other end when you do, and undamaged and not tampered with....

Regards, SD..

CWL2YOW
3rd Nov 2005, 12:52
Errrr...no...
IMHO, it would be a moot point if PAX stopped bringing bags the size (and weight) of a small child on board the aircraft. As well as a large handbag. And laptop. And bag of duty free. And expect all of them to go in the bin directly overhead.

As well as the undamaged, on time thing.

TFlyguy
3rd Nov 2005, 17:16
Oh and the dramas if the bag isnt "directly above" the passenger!

1 row behind them and its like I tried to kidnap their first born - wake up - all the overheads go to the same airport!

Rollingthunder
3rd Nov 2005, 17:29
Once ran into a couple who thought the bin above their seats was their own personal bin. When I disillusioned them, they were quite put out.

Taffer
3rd Nov 2005, 17:33
One scary thing about the overhead luggage issue is weight.

When tested, the bins have only to withstand a static weight limit.

In the event of a crash or CAT, the dynamic loads will most likey break the bins and that handy little stroller bag that carries your 2 days of clothing will fly out and cause someone a bad headache.

As for loading pax., boarding by seat row number works reasonably well, but the time people spend faffing about before taking their seat infuriates me. It's the same as people who only empty their pockets and take off their coats when they get to the x-ray machine, or people who board a bus, then look for the correct fare. If you know what's coming, at least make an effort to plan ahead.

After working as a dispatcher over the Summer period, I think I have even less respect for the travelling public than I did before. Either there are more morons out there than ever before, or they all chose to travel from GLA this Summer!

Air-Geko
3rd Nov 2005, 18:07
While I don't travel on business as much as I once did, I always carried a small bag with two days clothing and my laptop (seperately). What always got my goat was walking into my row noticing that there was no one within three rows of me, but the overhead already being full of baggage from pax in the back... I would always place my laptop under the seat, and ram my bag into the other baggage above me. I always hoped there'd be something fragile in there :E When I finally grew up, I started to simply remove the offending bag and place it in the aisle. One quick announcement from the CC and the jerk in the back would have to go claim his belongings...

Air-Geko

PAXboy
3rd Nov 2005, 20:34
But the airlines might decrease and enforce the cabin luggage weight/size limits, so as to give a better fit to the present luggage bins... As we have discussed in this forum before: That ain't gonna happen no time soon. I consider that, if one carrier did enforce the rules, many pax would abandon that carrier. They see the carry on as a 'free' and expectected part of the ticket price'. Other carriers would benefit and see that they ought not to follow. If it were possible for ALL carriers to enforce ALL the rules ALL the time ... well we would see Capt Danny's Pig overtake him in the cruise!!
When tested, the bins have only to withstand a static weight limit. Indeed, as born out by the statistic that pax sitting in aisle seats have more injuries at all stages of the flight (ground and airborne) and that is before you hit turbulence. It is the second reason that I always sit in a window seat. If I am in the aisle and someone reaches to the bin over my heard - then I try to get up and out of their way.

It would be a neat idea to make the bins smaller but we have seen the manufacturers make the bins larger and stronger in recent years and the only reason can be because the carriers asked them to.

chornedsnorkack
4th Nov 2005, 08:19
As we have discussed in this forum before: That ain't gonna happen no time soon. I consider that, if one carrier did enforce the rules, many pax would abandon that carrier. They see the carry on as a 'free' and expectected part of the ticket price'. Other carriers would benefit and see that they ought not to follow. If it were possible for ALL carriers to enforce ALL the rules ALL the time ... well we would see Capt Danny's Pig overtake him in the cruise!!

Do not know about enforcement, but Swiss just slashed the piece allowance from 10 kg to 8 kg.

PAXboy
4th Nov 2005, 14:11
That is VERY encouraging news Chorned. Perhaps they are thinking of the fuel costs of shipping all the extra weight of the bags.

Ryan Air changed the peice weight to get extra money but the end result will, hopefully, be the same. That is, the delays caused by loading/unloading the bins and a reduction of weight in the bins with a concomitant reduction of danger to pax sitting under them.

Middle Seat
5th Nov 2005, 18:56
This discussion would be a Mute point if airlines could guarrentee your checked luggage would arrive the other end when you do, and undamaged and not tampered with....

and statistically this doesn't happen as often as some people seem to claim. In 17 years of business travel, I've only had an incident with my luggage once, and I had it back the next morning.

Seems like recently, I find myslef helping out to make room in the overhead for someone who has rushed on late with too much unchecked baggage, mostly out of frustration and desire to get home. [why do people act so helpless and throw a fit when there's no space??] Last night I told a young woman who asked for help in putting her bag up, "if you can't lift it into the bin, you probably should check it."

one guess as to how that comment was received.

Leezyjet
7th Nov 2005, 01:38
With regards to boarding wide bodies with 2 jetbridges, at the worlds worst international airport, most of the forward bridges were installed back in the 70's and as they can only move forwards/backwards, up and down they are no longer compatible with todays modern wide bodied a/c as they do not line up with the L1 door. They are only any use on a 747, L10-11 and Dc-10 - the latter two are very rarely seen there now.

There are several stands that have 2 fully drivable/adjustable bridges but the way these were designed on the inside of the building (even those that were only installed 2 years ago) means that you need to have an extra member of staff who is basically useless in the boarding process (as they cannot do anything else) to just stand and direct passengers down the correct bridge. If left to their own devices all the passengers will just wander down the first bridge they come to which defeats the purpose of having it on !!.

Also an extra security guard is required to man the extra jetbridge when it is attatched to the a/c which = more cost to the airline.

If the BAA actually involved the AIRLINES in the design of their shopping malls then these problems could be designed out but the airlines are only an inconvenience to the BAA.

:)

radeng
7th Nov 2005, 01:58
Middle seat, you've been lucky.

Over the last 25 years, my experience:

United/United Express. 13 flights, 11 lost bags. Mostly United Express, probably weight problems.

American: consistent loss every 36 flights. In one case, for 13 weeks!

BA: once, and that was on a tight connection at CDG and I travel BA enough to have had a Gold Card for the last three years.

America West: once in 28 flights - and it turned up with a wheel wrenched off where the stub axle had been broken. A stub axle of 1/2 inch diameter steel...........

MagnusP
7th Nov 2005, 11:06
radeng wrote:
United/United Express. 13 flights, 11 lost bags
My few "lost" bag episodes when flying with United have been caused by ground staff in Honolulu trying to cram me on an earlier Aloha flight than that booked, with the result that my bag turns up a couple of hours later on the flight it was scheduled to be on......

On the other hand, I had an excellent experience with them when I was flying Lufthansa from Munich to LHR and transferring to a United flight to Chicago (yes, I know there's a direct, but there were reasons). 2 hrs delay due to snow in Munich left me 25 mins T2-T3 in LHR, but not only did UA have a car waiting to take me to the aircraft steps, they'd upgraded me to business class AND MY LUGGAGE MADE IT, too. Full marks for an enhanced SLF experience!

Cheers,
Magnus

manintheback
7th Nov 2005, 11:58
Once had to call the assistance of CC when passenger in front insisted on placing their rather large bag under their own seat (the one in front of me) and not the one in front of them as they had nowhere to put their feet and got more than heated when I asked them to remove.

shuttlebus
8th Nov 2005, 19:18
All,

The simple life :-)

Before boarding (check-in, shopping & when sitting in lounge)

1) If possible, dump as much at check-in as posssible.
2) Go though security
3) Visit newsagent and buy sufficient reading material/drinks/sweets for flight
4) Get cashier to place items in carrier bag
5) When sitting bored in lounge, place any addtional items you'll need in-flight, such as a sweater, in the carrier bag.
6) Board when seat row called

On the plane: -

Everything you should need is in the carrier bag

1) Greet cabin crew politely
2) Walk to correct seat row
3) Walk into row (This is easier if the plane is still not fully boarded) Aisle now free for other pax
4) Place carrier bag on seat (+ any other bags eg laptop)
5) Remove coat. Place coat, laptop etc in overhead luggage bin
6) Lift carrier bag
7) Move to correct seat in row.
8) Sit down, buckle up and stow contents of carrier in seat back pocket.
9) Laugh at "sheep" in aisle screwing up boarding process

I'm 6ft + and even in economy, steps 1) to 9) on the plane take 25-30 seconds max, all whilst keeping the aisle clear.

On arrival....

1) Luggage in hold
2) When aircraft stops at gate - ignore "life or death" feeling that requires you to immediately move to aisle. Continue to read book.
3) When aisle finally starts to move, monitor flow.
4) When flow has reached resaonable walking pace, repeat items 3) to 8) above under "On the plane" in reverse order.
5) Walk down aisle
6) Say goodbye to crew.
7) Walk to baggage reclaim and collect bags (Waiting time reduced by up to 50%)

Sorry, rather tongue in cheek, but it works for me and is a great stress reducer.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

radeng
8th Nov 2005, 22:45
Something in the unloading process always puzzles me, and that's the people who stop in the aisle to let others out from a seat row. OK, so they think they're being polite, but in actual fact, they're being damned rude to all the people behind them that are being held up.

Further, applying a bit of queuing theory tells you that it's the slowest way to empty the aircraft.

But, as they say in Yorkshire, 'There's nowt so queer as folk'. And to paraphrase Thomas Carlyle, 'the world is full of men, mostly fools'.

PAXboy
8th Nov 2005, 23:53
I am posting a short quote and a link to the full article by someone who travels a considerable amount, I have met Professor Peter Cochrane (formely head of BT Labs) and he is a very decent, no nonsense guy. The extract relates to the 'To Check or Not To Check a Bag' debate but I suggest that you link and read the whole article for a view on how an experienced 'road warrior' does it. As far as I am aware, he always travels in Biz, due to the nature of his work and that he is ofen working during the flight.

... travelling with a customer who doesn't get out much! We arrived at London Heathrow for a two-week trip, me with my small roll-on case which fits in the overhead, plus my computer bag. He arrived with two cases plus a huge computer case full of goodness knows what.

Years of travel have taught me never to check a bag into the hold of an aircraft. The probability of loss varies from about one in 60 to one in 1000 depending on the carrier. And sure enough, on this multi-hop trip my colleague lost a bag. Worse, at every airport, and there were nine on this trip, we had a protracted check-in, and a long wait at baggage claim. So when we got to the taxi rank there was always a long line. When I am on my own I'm through an airport like a knife through butter - no waiting in line, no bag loss, no baggage claim and mostly no taxi delays. All told I reckon we lost about a full working day by this mechanism alone!

This is from one of his regular reports on Silicon.com (http://management.silicon.com/itdirector/0,39024673,39152770,00.htm)

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

VHF FLYER
9th Nov 2005, 22:52
maybe this is about how much/little we take with us on a trip.
I'm sometimes staggered by the amount of stuff people think of as essential.
Travel lite......
My basics are:
clean shirt and underwear for every day away ( and you can take the same ones away and get 'em laundered)
a different tie (sorry but we all need a little indulgence)
the minimum toiletries
AND most important of all - almost no paper a small Notebook with data saved onto memory stick or CD is most of what you need. Why do people still travel with so much paper / lever arch files and associated paraphanalia?
The reaction to me is usually 'where's the rest of your luggage?' but the result is worth it. No lost bags ever and express track through the airports.
The wait for your bags at a luggage belt is one of the worst experiences in worldly existence and only to be endured by people who are emigrating or are on extended trips of more than a week or two.

Self Loading Freight
9th Nov 2005, 23:07
It's hard to dump the habit of taking too much. I'm up to three days away in one carry-on, but still can't break the week away extra bag.

However, the down side is that security/customs at either end gets very suspicious if it thinks you're not carrying enough baggage for your trip. The biggest sin is looking different, after all.

(I've solved the 'extra tie' conundrum by never wearing one. Constricts the flow of blood to the head, y'know, and I've always been suspicious of any social convention that requires a noose around the neck)

R

VHF FLYER
9th Nov 2005, 23:13
SLF
Now you've mentioned it, I did get taken apart by Customs at an Eastern European airport recently probably, I'm guessing, because I marched through the baggage reclaim area with far too smug an attitude!

PAXboy
10th Nov 2005, 00:03
"Too smug an attitude"??? Wot, a PPRuNer?? :}

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

EGLKFlyer
11th Nov 2005, 21:20
I can agree with the comment about not taking enough luggage on a trip causing suspicion – usually going to / into the USA. Three days’ worth of clothes + laptop in a rucksack several years ago caused me to get stopped at Atlanta customs by a very rude guy demanding I go back and collect my “other” bag from the carousel.

Anyway, the points made are very valid. Checking in bags is a pain. My business trips usually involve daily flights and any delay blows the schedule away… so the maximum I can take in the cabin helps no end. For example, last week I got up in Zurich, flew to Munich to see a customer and then flew on to Vienna on a different airline a few hours later. What would have happened if my bag hadn’t got to Germany? Whose responsibility would it have to reunite me with it in Austria (or wherever I'd moved on to by the time they found it)?

That said, it’s also a pain lugging the stuff around everywhere and then looking for space. The last people called to the flight are the C/J classes and gold/silver card holders – the latter, by definition, being the most frequent travellers who are probably doing this for a living rather than the occasional ones who are off to a stag night in Prague or week in Shagaluf. [A generalisation, but you see what I’m getting at]. I had to laugh a couple of weeks ago when I watched a Y class passenger on BMI from Belfast stuff his small wardrobe above row 3 and proceed down to row 53 (or wherever he was down the back). A stewardess proceeded to pull it all out again, chase after him and made him find space nearer his own seat – while saying something about security checks and the need to have pax near their own luggage.

The Lufthansa small shuttle planes using their “gate delivery” system is the absolutely perfect method in my view. You know the bag’s going to get on the same aircraft as you and you don’t have to wait a fortnight while the bags come out at the other end.

For anyone who still thinks that checking bags is a good idea, this is an actual PA my wife & I heard from GVA-LHR several years ago. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain. You will be pleased to know that we made another on-time departure for our flight to London today. Unfortunately, to get away on time, we had to leave many of your bags behind. I hope this won’t inconvenience you too much”. OK, so Swiss Airlines went bust shortly afterwards, but it taught me a lesson!

VHF FLYER
16th Nov 2005, 22:52
Since this thread was about the Self Loading Process, AND looking for ideas to improve it/speed it up, I wondered why, when you get on a plane, the seat belts are folded on the seats meaning you have to unfold them again. May only take a few seconds but multiply by 150 times.
It's also a complete pain.
Any crew out there that can expalin why it's done?
Defies logic IMHO.
Regards
VHF

Rollingthunder
17th Nov 2005, 00:52
It implies cleanliness and neatness and that someone has taken a bit of care of your seating area.

VHF FLYER
17th Nov 2005, 09:15
..er.. but left crumbs all over the seat? but that's surely not the point. It's the waste of time and inconvenience a) to the flight crew that have to cross em in the first place and b) to the pax that promptly uncross them again.
Daft really.

Rollingthunder
17th Nov 2005, 09:19
I think it's daft for Flt Crew to do this as well. That's why we have groomers and slightly longer turnarounds.

Carry0nLuggage
17th Nov 2005, 12:09
VHF, it is in the same vein as folding loo paper to a point in hotel rooms, it's to give the impression that the cleaners have been round.

PAXboy
17th Nov 2005, 13:04
At a guess: It also makes a check that all belts are present and correct. They might be damaged, missing or soiled. It doesn't take a second to flick them to one side as you prepare to sit down.