PDA

View Full Version : what to do next JAR-PPL

night hawk 150
31st Oct 2005, 17:57
Hello PPRUNE

just a question in regards to what i should do next.

once i have obtained my PPL in the USA which will be a JAR-PPL can anyone tell me what i should do next in able to start flying in the uk like for example is a converstion needed or just a few checkout flights with an instructor.

Regards
Craig

FlyingForFun
31st Oct 2005, 18:20
Legally, if you have a JAR PPL, you will not need any conversion, you can just jump into an aircraft and go.

From a practical point of view, though, if you're renting an aircraft from a club, the club will require you to do some kind of checkout with an instructor, the same as every other pilot who wants to hire from them.

However, you should probably expect your checkout to last a little longer than the average pilot because your instructor will want to make sure you are up to speed with the differences between flying in the UK and flying in the US. The main differences will be the radio terminology, airspace layout and the good old British weather.

If you are lucky enough to own your own aircraft, then although there is no legal requirement for any kind of checkout, I would still recommend very strongly that you spend a couple of hours with an instructor anyway.

Hope that answers the question.

FFF
---------------

night hawk 150
31st Oct 2005, 18:28
thanks you FFF the information is very useful

Regards
Craig

TJF97
31st Oct 2005, 20:06
I'm confused, I thought you was learning at RAF Marham?? Isn't it just as cheap as going to the States?

night hawk 150
31st Oct 2005, 20:15
TJF97

you are correct i am at RAF MARHAM learning to fly which is some what cheaper than civilian however i was weighing up the cost between the uk and USA and should i choose to move to the usa option which may or may not be an option and depends on some other factors then it was some information that i need to know before hand.

i am still at RAF MARHAM and am doing well on lessons and my instructor is fab along with the members but i was checking other options as the weather is bad in the uk and i have been told other members don't like it when an aircraft iss booked solid for a period of time and when i go full time that is what might happen but we will see i will continue where i am for a while i should guess.

Craig

TJF97
2nd Nov 2005, 21:44
I'm doing my PPL at a RAFFCA club as well, I've pondered the USA for some time now and decided that I'll stay in the UK and do it. At the end of the day it works out to virtually the same price!

As for weather well thats a different matter but I'm prepaired to wait it out.

There dosn't seem to be a problem with bookings of the planes at my club?? These people must understand why you are making so many bookings??

Take it easy

TJF97