PDA

View Full Version : Elec Horizon in place of Turn Co-Ord?

Ojuka
30th Oct 2005, 20:10
Does anyone know if the CAA accept an electric AI with integral ball inclinometer in place of the more usual Turn Co-ordinator or Turn & Slip indicator?

I am keen to get an electric backup to the suction gyros but have limited panel space.

There is a new Sporty's one out which is supposed to be better than the RC Allen R26A, but does the instrument itself need type approval by the CAA?

Also, I need a user's manual for a KNS80 RNAV. Any idea where I can find one?

Thanks.

BEagle
30th Oct 2005, 20:38
For the KNS 80, you can download a pilot's guide ( a 4Mb .pdf) from:

https://www3.bendixking.com/servlet/com.honeywell.aes.utility.PDFDownLoadServlet?FileName=/TechPubs/repository/006-08307-0004_4.pdf

Can't Sporty's give you the answer to your Backup Attitude Indicator approval query?

Ojuka
30th Oct 2005, 20:40
Thought I would ask here first as Sporty's may not be familiar with UK law.

Thanks for the link.

IO540
31st Oct 2005, 06:25
The UK Air Navigation order is here

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051970.htm

Look at schedule 4 and schedule 5 for equipment requirements.

I don't know if the answer is there (takes a while to work it out) but it is THE place to look.

DFC
31st Oct 2005, 09:33
That is indeed where the answer is.

The options are AI and TC/TI or AI and another AI at the operators option.

The two AIs would have to be powered by different sources eg one from Vac and the other electrical.

For a JAR-23 aircraft, the instrument would have to be certified and you would have to go down the minor mod route (EASA)!!

You say that there is an integral slip ball. Is this one of those EFIS style AIs?

Regards,

DFC

Ojuka
31st Oct 2005, 09:39
Thanks.

No, the slip ball is situated below the AH but integral within the instrument casing. I suspect the slip ball is needed since both Turn Co-ord and Turn & Slip have them fitted. Without it the aircraft would have no slip indication, even with two ADIs fitted.

My aircraft is a G reg on an EASA Standard C of A, is the minor mod thing a hassle?