PDA

View Full Version : B47 Gassed Up!

overboosted
30th Oct 2005, 19:45
Can you believe in this day and age, an airline captain (and private owner of a B47) in western Sydney last week gassed up his B47 with 80 odd litres of JetA1 and attempted to fly it away?:mad:
Aircraft was seen hovering in a very shakey state, backfiring and generally making some very strange noises. After he shut it down, he claimed to onlookers that there was a problem with the starter motor!
Should stick to having the boggies gas up the crate in future just like in his B747!:ok:

George Semel
30th Oct 2005, 21:02
Well I once told a service attendent to fill my car up with diesel, he filled it with gasoline. That was an expensive cup of coffee I went to get while fueling was going on. Oh well I'm not perfect. As for the B-47 owner, well he didn't hurt anybody, just open the quick drains and collect the jet a and give it to somebody that drives a diesel car or truck. No real harm done. Its only around 60 or so gallons if that much.

Brian Abraham
30th Oct 2005, 22:09
The same thing happened to Bob Hoover which caused him to crash his Aero Commander. Only goes to show no one is immune from cock ups, except perhaps overboosted from the tone of his post. Or do you suggest Bob Hoover is in need of some lessons?

Aesir
31st Oct 2005, 09:57
I have several times had to run out of the FBO when I saw the "JET-A" truck pull up to my Robinson! And thats even though had had been very specific on the radio requested "Avgas".

There are so many that think that helicopter only use JET-A!

And in retrospect I guess they all should ;)

Vacant Towers
31st Oct 2005, 10:39
Even the RAAF (Museum) did it to a P51 VH-BOB, the Packard- Merlin objected in the only way it knew, it gave up and in flight too.

VT:\ :{ :mad:

bellfest
31st Oct 2005, 10:55
Aesir,
What is with the negativity towards pistons. They have flown just as many, probably more than turbines so what is your grounds for such a statement?
I have had engineers that have only worked on turbines say the same thing to me and the only thing I can come up with is that they don't feel confident enough to maintain them properly to keep them airworthy and safe.
B******t is what it is.

Aesir
31st Oct 2005, 11:26
Bellfest.. I meant that if people want to fly them they should, they are a lot cheaper than turbines.

But my day´s flying pistons are over. I prefer my helicopter with 2 turbines (preferably PT-6).

rotorboater
31st Oct 2005, 14:39
Filled up with Avgas once but they charged me for Avtur! What a result - £40 instead of £110:D

rotornut
31st Oct 2005, 16:50
A DC-3 out of Pearson International (YYZ) crashed because of the wrong fuel, Jet A, a few years ago. Scary stuff!

Oogle
31st Oct 2005, 17:08
I reckon it's just plain stupidity and bad airmanship.

Assume nothing in aviation! Check for yourself. The re-fueller is not the one about to strap their arse into the aircraft after they have topped up the tanks.

This is a BIG lesson for the young guys.

Oh yeah.........please don't give me the "its an honest mistake" or "it wasn't his fault".

It wasn't an honest mistake and it was his fault!!

Enjoy your flying everyone and keep an eye on those fuel trucks. :sad:

Simon853
31st Oct 2005, 20:42
Filled up with Avgas once but they charged me for Avtur! What a result - £40 instead of £110

I know that's unintentional, but it reminds me of a scam some Canadian friends of mine used to pull when journeying south. They'd buy American Express travellers cheques in Canadian dollars, then hand them over when paying for gas. Many times the cashiers simply didn't consider they may be in any other currency than US$ and they get their gas cheap. Naughty though, and of course I'd never endorse such a practice!..

Si

eagle 86
31st Oct 2005, 23:19
Many years ago Navy maintainers at Nowra filled a RAAF Neptune with Jet A1 - very expensive - the little outboard jets on the Neppie ran on Avgas from recips tanks.
GAGS
E86

Pearl Jam
1st Nov 2005, 01:02
What are the actual consequences of running JetA1 in an avgas engine? I would think that filling the tanks then realising you've got the wrong fuel is no big deal - just drain and refill with avgas.

But to actually run the engine, pick the machine up to the hover, cough and splutter, then decide to put it down cos something seems wrong, is surely much more serious.

Is the machine U/S until a LAME makes checks or changes to the engine? Does an incident report need to be submitted to CASA? Is it something that should be marked on the MR? :confused:

PJ.

SMOUC
1st Nov 2005, 03:25
He wasn't Irish by any chance??!!!

rotorfan
1st Nov 2005, 05:34
Pearl Jam -
"What are the actual consequences of running JetA1 in an avgas engine? I would think that filling the tanks then realising you've got the wrong fuel is no big deal - just drain and refill with avgas. "

When the engine is asked to deliver a good portion of power, serious misfiring can result. Detonation can cause burned piston domes, bent connecting rods and other metal suitable for the recycling yard.

Several years ago, a nearby small-town municipal airport had a big misrefueling problem. The fuel supplier brought a load of Jet A and put it into the underground avgas tank. Several of the local pilots had performance problems, but nobody caught the problem. An instructor friend had stopped there just to refuel. On his takeoff roll (in a plank), the engine ran so badly he aborted. After the second attempt, the engine was junk. The insurance company got to pay for about 30 engine rebuilds. :uhoh: :mad:

Not a bad reason to take a fuel sample after refueling. Even if the avgas color doesn't noticably change, the smell and oily feel would probably show up.:ok:

vortexstate
1st Nov 2005, 08:44
One wonders if this airline pilot submitted a incident report to the proper authorities so that they can investigate whether the fuel bowsers need a better placard system, or whether is was a pilot induced problem. :D :D :D

Agaricus bisporus
1st Nov 2005, 10:38
Hey! Sh!t happens!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07082005/323/yacht-fuel-mix-leaves-chelsea-boss-fuming.html

heh heh heh!

overboosted
3rd Nov 2005, 08:24
This machine WAS NOT gassed up by a mere bowser operator or truck driver, this aircraft was filled up by an experienced airline captain who happened to also be the owner of the aircraft.:uhoh:
Bowser is clearly identified, however in fairness, is co-located with the AVGAS bowser. Simple enough mistake for sure BUT still a mistake that is unacceptable!:*
Aircraft was flown/hovered with said fuel onboard (80 litres JETA1 and 15 AVGAS) Fuel drained and flushed and flown away with a possible surprise install for some unsuspecting pilot a few hours down the track.:\
And for the record; NO! The incident was not reported as required.:*