PDA

View Full Version : Deer Lake Newfoundland

Stampe
30th Oct 2005, 18:29
Thinking of holidaying in Deer Lake Newfoundland next August.Can anyone answer a few questions please.
a)Any aircraft rental available C172/PA28 sort of thing.
b)Whats the weather like are midges or other insects a problem.
c)Any comments on the place as a holiday destination for afamily who don,t like the heat.like space and open air activity and good food.
Thanks for your comments in advance:ok:

604guy
30th Oct 2005, 22:28
a) I don't know the answer to that, we are usually just in and out and don't spend much time looking about the airport but I don't believe there is much available to rent. Would have to go to St. John's or Gander for that I suspect.

b) weather on the west coast of Newfoundland can be very pleasant in the summer (especially early month). YDF is usually the warmest spot on the island, 30ish, and is subject to summer thunderstorms etc. YES to mossie's and blackflies. They also have a voracious appetite. (bring bug juice) New blood is always welcome.

c) tons to do in the way of outdoor activities. Gros Morne National Park is a great place to wander about, fjords and the like (bring bug juice). The Great Northern Peninsula is a great place to explore. At the tip is the first known European settlement, the Vikings at L'anse aux Meadows. Columbus did not discover North America no matter what our cousins to the south would have you believe. :D

As for food....it can be interesting, cod tongues and cheeks, scruncheons (basically fried fat!), flipper pie and other local delicacies. Actually I have enjoyed many a good scoff in Newfoundland. As for the hospitality though........second to none. The locals are some of the very best people you will meet anywhere on this 'ole planet.

Try this link for more info. http://www.newfoundlandandlabradortourism.com/where_to_go_western.zap

Speedbird48
31st Oct 2005, 23:57
Hi Stampe,

I used to live in Stephenville, which is just down the coast and we had a great time. I ran a base for a local airline and there was no GA flying there at all.

The scenery is fantastic with Gros Morne Park being the top of the list. We stood on a cliff near Cornerbrook and watched whales rounding up fish for a meal. One whale was white and the other black!! Local fishermen will take you out and you will see lots of fish and birdlife.

Take any road off of the main ones (not many) and you will be in utter silence and beauty. If you want to see Bears go to the local dump. Much easier than looking for them in the wild. Be very careful if you intend driving at night as the Moose are very big and slow, plus well camoflaged. The BIG bumpers on the trucks are not for decoration!

There used to be a Cherokee standing on the grass at Deer Lake but I think it was a fixture. Otherwise I don't think there is much to be found. There is a small charter operation there however and things may have changed.

The HUGE flies have registrations but the Mossies are just Experimental category. Get plenty of spray before you leave town.

We went all the way up to the North one weekend and stayed at the Tickle Inn which was great value but you would need to book ahead as it is quite small.

And I would reiterate the previous message regarding the locals. Great folks that you don't find anywhere else in the world. The real salt of the earth.

Regards,

Brian.

OLBA18
10th Dec 2005, 01:40
Stampe - Try Humber Valley Resort - it's probably exactly what you're looking for .
http://www.humbervalley.com/resort.asp?lb=1

2PWRR
10th Dec 2005, 15:31
Hello I worked in Gander until recently the weather is ok in Deer lake for most of the summer, the same as the UK, the black flies and mosquitoes aren't bad ( I had the wife and they seemed to like her more than me LOL)

If you want to rent the nearest flight school is gander they did have a base up until june in Deer lake you can contact them at www.gft.nf.ca good luck

Oh yeah and the newfoundlanders seem to like to drink a lot hic!

Red Mud
21st Dec 2005, 14:48
If you go then you must drop in to Rocky Harbour and get some of the local smoked salmon. Excellent! Also, Corner Brook is 25 minutes away and a stay at the Glen Mill Inn is worth the drive. Have a great trip.

604guy
21st Dec 2005, 17:41
Ah yes the good 'ole Glynmill Inn. The first time I stayed there I remember sitting in the dining room and having made our selections were waiting for the waitress to come and take our order. She passed by numerous times, even made eye contact but never offered to stop and take our order. Finally I resorted to basically putting my arm out and physically stopping her. After informing her that we were ready to order she looked at me with a look of bewilderment and then pointed at the the little pad of paper and pencil on the edge of the table and said..."well write it down luv". Figuring out the local custom can be half the battle! :)

Stampe
25th Jan 2006, 14:44
Thanks for all the info guys just booked the holiday arriving there 27th July.Sounds great for a different sort of a holiday.Any further tips on recreational flying opportunities in the area very much appreciated.Flights are on a Monarch757 this year on Thursdays.

A310GUY
27th Jan 2006, 11:42
When visiting Grosse Morne Park make sure to take in the hike and boat ride up Western Brooke Pond. Breathtaking and raw. Keep an eye out for wild horses on the roads near Grosse Morne - I'm not sure if they are still there - I toured north west Newfoundland years ago. The arches are interesting.

Stampe
12th Aug 2006, 13:10
:ok: Thanks for all the info guys a stunning holiday venue much enjoyed and relatively very cheap.Great to see it after overflying all these years!!.Newfoundland people are so lovely and helpful.As you guys reported nothing to rent dual at all at CYDF to have a quick look round.Great fun watching the CL215 practising on the lake in front of our house.Flight time from LGW -YDF 5hr20 outbound and 4hr40 return by Monarch 757 so not far.Sorry to hear that YJT Stephenville might be closing!!.You are all so lucky having all that space ,a great country, I,ll be back!!.:ok: