PDA

View Full Version : ATC visits/courses

me705709
29th Oct 2005, 22:52
I'm sure this is a question that has been asked before so apologies to those reading it the n'th time....

Does anyone know of any ATC sites that offer any sort of courses or visits to either individuals or groups, paid / free / for contribution to ATCO's retirement charity... ?

Insight to their roles, working enviorments, problems from their side, opeartions etc etc.

Or does Bournemouth do such a thing for PPL's??

Somehow doubt it because of the cost and security implications, but worth asking.

Thanks, Mark.

AerBabe
30th Oct 2005, 08:53
It probably depends on what you want to see/know. Most control towers are happy to accept visitors - particularly if they're pilots flying from the same field. You can learn a lot just from a short visit.

me705709
30th Oct 2005, 13:06
Hi AerBabe

Well just a look in to see what goes on and how they do it, nothing much more high tech than that really.

I fly from EGLS so there is only A/G radio, EGHI & EGHH are close but don't fly to or from either because of cost.

Do you think they would amenable to visitors in that case?

Thanks, Mark

AerBabe
30th Oct 2005, 13:32
I don't think they would have a problem, but I've never visited either. I have been on private visits to Coventry and Birmingham, as well as a group visit to Gatwick - they all said they'd like to see more people there. All you can do is call Bournemouth & Southampton and ask. If they're not too sure about fitting you in as an individual, arrange for a few of you from Old Sarum to go up together.

flower
30th Oct 2005, 13:58
We are always happy to welcome pilots for visits to ATC units.
Ring the units up , tell them you are a private pilot and ask if there is any chance to visit and suggest dates when you can go.

I suspect both Southampton and Bournemouth will be welcoming, if not we can accommodate you at Cardiff sometime.

me705709
30th Oct 2005, 14:15
Thanks for help guys. Only work about 2 miles from EGHH, so will give them a shout first.

18greens
31st Oct 2005, 06:07
I generally find ATCOs are very keen to get pilots in their office. It helps you understand what they do and generally leads to better co-operation between pilots and controllers.

I usually find non VFR days are better to visit them because they are less busy and those are usually days when you can't fly.