PDA

View Full Version : RT Licence

Lister Noble
28th Oct 2005, 14:40
Just had a thought and it is a shot in the dark-I already hold a VHF Only Radio Licence under Section7 (1) Wireless Telegraphy act 1949, which I obtained in 1980 to allow me to use a VHF set on my boat.
It's interesting that most of the anti-collision regs and aircraft nav lights are the same as marine regs.
I suppose it would be too much to hope for that this is also the same VHF licence as required for the PPL,or that it could be regraded etc?
Lister:D

Mark 1
28th Oct 2005, 14:51
Not so, I'm afraid.

Even if you had a flight radio-telephony operators licence, it would need to be held in conjunction with a pilot's licence to have remained valid.

It's a fairly simple and straightforward test, so I shouldn't get too concerned

Will Hung
28th Oct 2005, 15:17
It's the easiest test by far. You've got no worries.

Lister Noble
28th Oct 2005, 15:50
Thanks for the repies and info,it was just a forlorn hope!
My next exam is navigation and luckily a lot of that is also similar to sailing nav.
Just got to master the jolly old whizwheel!

Mariner9
28th Oct 2005, 15:57
One trusts that you used the jolly old whizz wheel to calculate set and drift in your boat and not the evil GPS ;)

Good luck with the nav exam BTW :ok:

magpienja
28th Oct 2005, 16:23
Hi sorry to jump on your post lister, but do any of you guys know were you can do the vhf course in the northwest and any contact details if pos.

Nick.

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Oct 2005, 16:49
similar to sailing nav Planes are easier - you've only got your heading and the wind to worry about, in boats there's a third vector involved (the tide).

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2005, 18:03
do any of you guys know were you can do the vhf course in the northwest and any contact details if posMagpienja, there isn't a course as such, just a multi-choice written exam, followed by an oral exam. You can do as much self-study as you want.

Although some schools run a course to help get you through these tests, most people will find that they cover almost everything they need to know during the course of their flight instruction, and a quick read through CAP413 or one of the other text-books will fill in the gaps.

Any flying school should be able to arrange for you to take the tests. If you have any problems finding somewhere let me know by PM - I'm based at Blackpool, and can arrange for you to do the tests through the school I work at, but you may well find somewhere nearer to home.

FFF
-----------------

Whopity
28th Oct 2005, 19:57
There are such courses. Malcolm Dobson at Leeds has run them for years. I believe that a number of other RTF Examiners also run courses. Try ringing arround. The list is here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_RTF_EXAMINERS.PDF

stiknruda
28th Oct 2005, 20:33
Lister old chum,

If you need any help with nav and the Dalton's whizz wheel, all you need do is ply me with Adnams.

Stik

magpienja
28th Oct 2005, 21:41
Thanks guys for the info as to were to sit the exam, I will check out the CAA page on the link many thanks.

Nick.

Lister Noble
29th Oct 2005, 07:18
Stik,thank for the kind offer,it sounds a very fair trade!

Arclite01
29th Oct 2005, 10:33
Hi Lister

Your contact for the exam/test and some training is Bob Gough who is the SATCO at Norwich Airport - and a nice bloke as well !

PM me if you need contact number.

Oh - and I can vouch for stik's teaching on nav as he did a refresher session for me a few years ago.

cheers

Arc

Lister Noble
29th Oct 2005, 15:15
Arc,many thanks.
I had a go at the whizzwheel at Old Buck today while waiting to fly.
Cloud down to 400 ft so no flying,better luck tomorrow!

Arclite01
30th Oct 2005, 08:50
Actually my wife says the whizz wheel is for SADO's

Speed And Distance Outside - Geddit !

At least I think that is what she meant..........

seriously though, it's accuracy that counts when you use the wheel in the exam - and stik is a hard taskmaster in that area.

Was good to meet you the other day at Priory Farm - If you're around another time I'll give you a scoot in the Cub - so you can see the difference between them and the trikes at Old Buck !

enjoy.

Arc

Lister Noble
1st Nov 2005, 18:39
Arc,I'm still progressing with the wheel and look forward to a trip in the Cub sometime.
I called in at Priory today and there was quite a bit of activity.

stiknruda
1st Nov 2005, 21:25
Arc - offered your "long haired friend of Jesus" PMO chappy/Cub sharer a learning whiz in the Pitts last Sat am but he didn't show. The wx was not great so perhaps aeros below 3 000' are not his bag.

Best you come over towards the end of the month and have a play in the Tiger Moth as the new owner will want to take her away in December.

Lister, beer = help!

Stik