PDA

View Full Version : Foam reverses aerodynamic lift

Pax Vobiscum
28th Oct 2005, 11:53
I hope this may be of interest:
"Physicists in France have discovered that when a foam flows over an aerofoil, the resulting force is exerted downwards rather than upwards" - see Foam result surprises scientists (http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/9/10/14).

It made me wonder if there might be effects from other types of fluid that are encountered more frequently than foam - e.g. clouds. Anyone know if research has been done in this area?

Farmer 1
28th Oct 2005, 12:10
It blows a hole in the equation P.V=K.

It doesn't add up, if you'll pardon the pun. Using their figures, I make the aerofoil about 4.5cm chord length. Let's see them try it on a proper aerofoil.

BN2A
28th Oct 2005, 13:58
Simple! Spray foam on underside of wing, and get even MORE lift!!

Prof BN2A.

:8

FlexibleResponse
29th Oct 2005, 01:34
I wonder if they also tried the aerofoil at higher angles of attack and if they found the same result?

In any case this discovery could have a profound effect on future discussions regarding the behavior of aerofoil sections in beer froth!

Old Smokey
29th Oct 2005, 07:36
Does that mean that for all of those years that we sprayed Water Methanol into the engines that we should have been spraying it on the under-side of the wing instead?:E

Regards,

Old Smokey

balsa model
31st Oct 2005, 21:32
Maybe under the intense pressure to publish new discoveries they forgot to add some positive angle of attack?