PDA

View Full Version : Nearest airfield to Turriff, Scotland..?

big.al
27th Oct 2005, 11:09
I'll need to attend a family funeral :sad: in the next couple of weeks in the Turriff region of Aberdeenshire.

I don't have a chart for northern Scotland, so can anyone advise me of the nearest airfield suitable for a C172? I'm aware of Insch and Whiterashes, or of course Dyce (if I want to give most of the contents of my wallet away) but is there anything closer?

Ideally I'll want to refuel but could easily drop into Dundee for some juice on the return if a suitably close airfield doesn't have any 100LL.

Other than that it looks like a 9hr drive or an expensive commercial flight to Aberdeen plus hire car....:( - in all likelihood the weather will conspire against me anyway.

Regards.

youngskywalker
27th Oct 2005, 11:30
Peterhead 'Longside' EGPS, About 20nm east of Turriff. Good road between them. Ex mil airfield, owned by scotia helicopters, used mainly for private light aircraft, microlights. pa28's etc...cant remember the phone number you need to arrange it but phone Aberdeen flying club and they should know. The chap who is in charge of longside I believe is David Plamer. AFC 01224 725333.

Whiterashes, tricky because it is so close to the ADN and the ILS for Aberdeen.

Insch is slightly closer but bit trickier as it's a small grass strip and unlikley to get permission to operate into as a one off.

Aberdeen is again about 20nm south but very expensive.

personally I would choose Longside.

YS

P.S I dont think Longside has any avgas for sale.

PH-UKU
27th Oct 2005, 22:30
Echo comments above.

Whiterashes - lovely grass strip, (with a slightly soggy bit in the middle) ...... and remember it's been a bit wet this last few weeks. Despite being next to the ADN and a HUGE windmill, it is surprisingly hard to find.

Insch - again grass, tricky approaches and shortish - and you will need a briefing from Ken Wood the owner before use.

Peterhead/Longside - tarmac 600m plus - and a VERY friendly reception. Give Jim McWilliam a call on 07887825230. Easy to find .. just follow the coast and easily get a VFR clearance from Aberdeen. :)

If you need fuel en route, Perth is probably the best bet - again friendly and GA oriented. Or if you want to complete a wee tour of the highlands, then why not carry on to Inverness and get some of the cheapest Avgas in the UK (it is imported from Finland and barrelled at 2 places in the UK -Inverness and Southampton). £1 a litre, as opposed to £1.13 at Glasgow (both +VAT). Then head doon Loch Ness and drop some biscuits in to Paul at Oban. :)

Aberdeen - BAA owned and operated = hugely expensive.

Dundee - run by local council but managed by an ****hole who thinks he's running Heathrow. ATC are a good bunch though.

Have fun.

A Sayers
28th Oct 2005, 14:23
Sorry not much use telling you this but I have seen an excellent websight for longside. Cant remember the url though. Good googling.
Andy.

Found it.

http://members.aol.com/stickrudder/

Andy