PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence

tittybar
26th Oct 2005, 20:15
Having recently obtained a JAA PPL in the US, I wanted to apply for an FAA equivilant. Can someone advise if this is possible and how to go about it?. No particular reason really but I will probably visit the US now and again to hour build.

Keygrip
27th Oct 2005, 00:12
Did it not cross your mind to ask the school in the USA?

Anyway - the answer is here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=87&groupid=612) - but will require just a tad of homework on your behalf.

Just to put your mind at rest - it's a link to the relevant page of the CAA website.

Hour Builder
27th Oct 2005, 15:15
Keygrip is correct, but as far as additonal training is required there is none. The FAA will then issue you a FAA PPL on the basis of your JAR PPL for a fee of $50 or so, however it will probably take 90 days or so to get the little credit card style licence through your letter box.

Keygrip
27th Oct 2005, 16:11
Since when did the FAA start charging for licence issue?

Last I heard, the FAA will give you a licence, for free - but if you elect to have a designated examiner write out the temporary certificate for you (rather than taking yourself to the FAA office), then the examiner may charge you for his/her time and/or travel expenses.

Whether you get it from the FAA office, or a designated examiner, the temporary certificate will allow you to fly until your actual licence arrives, through the mail, from the FAA in Oklahoma.

Whilst you don't need any TRAINING - you are required to take a "flight review" (used to be known as a BFR) before you can exercise the privilidges of the temporary certificate.

vincent_watts
27th Oct 2005, 16:14
sorry i meant to say that the examiner that issues the 6 month temp cert will charge $50. again you are right :-)

IO540
27th Oct 2005, 17:34
The other option, of course, is a standalone FAA PPL. Much safer, and one can fly a G-reg on it, worldwide.

But that does need a few hours' flying, a checkride, the FAA PPL written, and more hassle. But the CAA does not need to be involved at all.