PDA

View Full Version : Reus Airport, Spain

dublinpilot
26th Oct 2005, 12:53
I'm doing a little preliminary research for a flight down to Reus, south of Barcelona in Spain, for next year.

The AIP doesn't seem to indicate any need for a handling agent. Can anyone who has been there, confirm that?

Does anyone know what the Landing, Parking charges etc would be for a PA28? I've tried to find this on-line but can't find anything, and my Spanish is non-existent!

Customs. Assuming I clear customs in France, I'm then inside the Schengen area. Do I need to clear customs again in Spain? Is their an Immigration clearance to be done too?

While I'm at it, is there much difference to flying in Spain, than to flying in France or the UK?

dp

Brooklands
26th Oct 2005, 13:36
Dublinpilot
While I'm at it, is there much difference to flying in Spain, than to flying in France or the UK
I believe that a flight plan is required for ALL (including VFR) flights in Spain.

Brooklands

Radar
26th Oct 2005, 14:15
Dp,

I landed at Reus two years ago so I'm afraid I can't remember what the landing fees amounted to. There certainly was no requirement for a handling agent at that time.

If you clear customs and immigration in France then you do not have to do so again in Spain (Schengen). There is nothing to stop the authorities from carrying out spot checks, of course, as happened to me in France on my way back from Spain last year.

As regards flying in Spain it's pretty straight-forward. The trip into Reus was part of a trip down to Africa and on both the southbound and northbound legs the service from ATC and airports was second to none.

BTW I visited the new resturant at Weston last weekend. Great spot. How long has it been open?

rtl_flyer
26th Oct 2005, 15:07
From my experience last year flying in Spain.

There are three levels of landing fee and parking in Spain. The higest last year for my C150 as 4 euro's landing and 1.1 euro parking a day (Valencia). There was a handling charge at Valencia, but as I had cleared customs at San Sabastian on my trip it was not espensive. The only problem I had was finding the GA terminal at Valencia (I had arrived through the main terminal) - as everybody assumend I was a charter passenger.

As Brooklands said - All flights in Spain require a flight plan. I also found they tended to hand you from one service to another - not always obvious until you called up the suggested service and found they had all your details. Not a bad thing as flying through central Spain there is nothing for miles..... and not many airports.

All the Spainish plates are available on line. In English.

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?cid=1043396095624&pagename=AIS%2FHome_AIS&SMO=-1&Section=7&c=Page&MO=1

If the link above will not work - www.aena.es then look for AIP and AIS. You need to register, it's instant and free.

Have a good trip,

Tim.

dublinpilot
26th Oct 2005, 15:44
Tim,

Thanks for that. That website is very handy. I even found the landing/parking charges there....I think!

Radar,

Thanks. I take it that since you can't remember the landing/parking charges, then it wasn't something that caused you much concern!

I haven't been to the new restaurant in Weston. In fact it's been at least 18 months since I was into Weston. I fly from Dublin International. I suppose I ought to make an effort to fly in sometime.

dp

Radar
26th Oct 2005, 16:03
dp,

You fly from DUB ......................... and you're wondering about landing / parking / handling chargs at Reus ??????

I didn't realise there were any light aircraft still based at DUB.

Enjoy the trip. When are you heading off and what's the planned itinerary?

172driver
26th Oct 2005, 16:13
dp

never been to Reus (other than commercial), but fly extensively in Spain. Basically
- you have to land initially at a customs field, no matter where you're coming from. No problem here, Reus qualifies
- I've never encoutered any 'handling agent' for a GA flight in a light a/c in Spain
- landing fees are round € 10.- (that's on all AENA operated airports, which means most)
- flight plan is mandatory for EVERY flight, and this includes t&g's ! No big deal, just file it and VFR you then - typically - have a 1 hour slot.
- check NOTAMS, some airports (LEMG, LEIB, etc) have restrictions on VFR and/or slow IFR traffic at certain times of the year
- expect to fly as you would in the US or continental Europe using Flight Following / Flight Information Service. Meaning: you typically talk to one controller or another all the time and will most likely have a squawk code assigned. You usually are also handed off to the next one along your way.
- be prepared to lose contact and/or to use commercial a/c flying overhead for relaying messages. Spain is a surprisingly mountainous country and it's very easy to be out of contact for a while. This can occasionally become rather disconcerting, especially when you are approaching an aiport and nobody seems to take any notice of your radio calls.... LEMG approach along the coast from the west via W, W1, S1 being a (in)famous example.

Now go and have a great trip!

A and C
26th Oct 2005, 16:55
Last time that I went to Reus it was probably the least trouble of any Spanish airport with the GA parking within a very short walk of the terminal & as with all spanish airports the charges are cheap by british standards.

As said above all flights in spain require a flight plan, once you are in the system and they give you a transponder code then you stay with that code all flight and the ATC units keep a track on you.

To save your self a lot of messing about when fueling get yourself a BP fuel card, most of the fuel truck drivers don't like taking cash and are delighted if they see that you have a BP card as it cuts down on the paperwork for them and as a bonus you don't have to take wads of euros with you.
I have yet to go to a Spanish airport that will not take the BP card.

dublinpilot
26th Oct 2005, 17:09
Radar,

Dub is not so expensive when you are based there. It's the compulsory handing charges for non based aircraft that makes it expensive.

There are still a small number of light aircraft based there. Not many though.

The trip is for next Summer, probably June, and I haven't fully worked out an itinerary yet. I'm just trying to put a rough draft together.

172driver,

All very helpful, thank you.

A&C,
We already have a Shell card. I'll take a look into getting a BP one before then.

dp

A and C
26th Oct 2005, 18:10
In Spain they will take the old Shell card but I'm not sure about the new one ! I've had trouble with it in Germany.

The BP card costs nothing and so is well worth having as a back up if the shell card is no good.

Now do any of you know how I can get a Total fuel card ?

DubTrub
26th Oct 2005, 23:25
dublinpilot If you are going as far as Reus, nip down the coast to Castellon-de-la-Plana. (have we talked about this before via PM? Or was that something else?). Castellon is REALLY "the least trouble of any Spanish airport", sorry, A and C! But you are right about the BP fuel card...don't leave home without it! BTW, DP do you pay for your Shell card?

Sabadell is the non-IFR airport for Barcelona, if you're routeing that way. BP Card a must there too. Incidentally, at Total stations, I've never been refused using a BP Card.

172Driver said "Now go and have a great trip!" Hear! Hear!

AfricanEagle
27th Oct 2005, 20:20
Flew to Spain this summer from Italy via France. Stopped at Valencia, Seville, Madrid QuantroVientos, Bilbao.

As already said on the thread, landing fees were never more than 10 euro at any airport.

No custom issues anywhere.

We paid handling fees at Valencia (GA terminal is to the right of the main terminal airport side, nearish the refuelling pumps) because we were parked on the far side of the runway and used the airport minibus - 4 trips, we were 5 aeroplanes.
Valencia is very busy, we were kept on hold for 40 minutes before take off clearence

Flight plans were filed via computer at the terminals, staff every where were all very helpful and friendly.

ATC was straightforward and simple.

Seville was the only place in my flying experience in Europe where they came and checked my license and medical.

Paying cash for fuel entailed paperwork.

The scenery was great, the flying easy and the experience was wonderful.

AE