PDA

View Full Version : Applicant age

261A
25th Oct 2005, 20:48
I am interested in trainee ATCO position in NATS and have been reading NATS website recruitment section and have read the Career FAQs and under the question of: 'When would I be likely to start my training'? an answer is below and says:

There is a slight problem with those candidates who are aged 18, as they have to be 20 to hold a radar license.

I understand from the rest of the answer to the question that I would still be allowed to go through the selection stage, but if I was 18 and sent to training am I right in assuming I would be an aerodrome/approach controller or would I have the choice of waiting to get a course to get a radar license?

NudgingSteel
25th Oct 2005, 21:15
A few years back when I joined, I know of at least one colleague who was accepted by NATS but was required to delay starting (they put him on a course a couple down the line) as he would have been too young to start straight away.

NATS won't take you straight on expecting to train you as aerodrome only. You still need a radar rating to work approach (at least at most major airports) so that won't make a difference. I reckon if they think you're good enough to take on, they'll be happy to hold you back for a course or two to ensure the age restrictions are met. Perhaps a more recent recruit could confirm this?

Best of luck with the application, it's a pretty good career!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gilaine
25th Oct 2005, 22:00
The CAA shall not grant:
a) a student air traffic controller's licence to any person under the age of 18 years;
b) an air traffic controller's licence to any person under the age of 20 years.

(Article 92/Schedule 9)

A student licence is what you'll be issued with when you've passed the appropriate rating courses. It's valid for two years and allows you to control under supervision of an (appropriately qualified!) instructor.

In short: you're old enough, get cracking.

G

see, i wasn't asleep during law;)

Seaton Approach
25th Oct 2005, 22:00
Happened to me many moons ago - was accepted and then given a start date several months down the line (may have been as much as 9 months as I recall), so I ended up leaving school and got a pretty mundane job to tide me over. Nine months of earning beer money and getting completely leathered every night - good training for life as an ATCO Cadet..... :}

Good luck! :ok:

261A
26th Oct 2005, 07:13
Thanks for the info.

Do you know how long it takes to get between stages such as:

How long does it take from applying to getting a selection test day?

How long does it take from passing selection to getting an interview(s)?

How long does it take between getting accepted after the interviews and then getting sent to college to train?

Thanks

;)

gilaine
26th Oct 2005, 20:48
No point speculating, it appears to be completely random.
Judging by recent courses, anything between 2 months and 3 years. There doesn't seem to be a clear reason for delays.

Wish I could be more helpful but that particular question has baffled students for longer than I've been one.

(But if you want my chain of events, applied 09/03, first contact 12/03, first selection 03/04, interview initially 05/04 postponed to 06/04, medical 08/04, started course 12/04)

Patience is a virtue.

G

(Edited to add that I was originally pencilled in for the March 05 course but took December when they offered it in November. Even though it meant I ended up with a Navigation exam as a 21st birthday present. Worth it though.)

Fletchers Left Boot
26th Oct 2005, 21:09
Delays were long when Gilaine first applied, this was at a time (if i recall correctly) when HR were moving and the courses were changing.

They are a lot shorter now I think.. perhaps less than 6 months between passing selection and starting a course, depending on when in the "cycle" this occurs. Courses start every three months.

gibbo1305
27th Oct 2005, 14:05
Hey guys

I am 17 and currently in my last year at college. It has been my dream since I was young to be an air traffic controller. I have been to Swanwick ATC centre a few times and did my work experience there!!

I believe that whilst you can apply at 18, the most successful applicants are aged 20 - 23. This leaves me a bit stuck as it means I need to find something to do for the next few years!

Is there anyone who can tell me whether i am right about the applicant age and also can anyone let me know what they did in the years between leaving college and applying? I need some ideas!!!

Hope someone can help
xxx

Gonzo
27th Oct 2005, 14:52
Definitely apply. I got in at age 18, six months after leaving the sixth form, and although many would say otherwise, I seem to be getting along!

ASD
27th Oct 2005, 15:01
I dont know how NATS works but in some other countries this is the standard procedure.

If you 17, first apply for ATC. If you lucky enough to get accepted straight away then fantastic as you can work as an air traffic assistant (ATSA), learn the ropes then get sent on a control course to become ATC when you ready.

If not, then go study something else that you have an interest in, then at least you will always have something to fall back on! Then apply.

I know that ATNS (SA) prefers you to have a degree before you apply although not a necessity (IT or BSc Preferred).

I did my 3 year IT Degree first (which is really boring but at least I have it), then only did I apply. Remember that an ATC rating you can lose if you dont work for a certain period of time (2 years I think it is), no one can take a degree or diploma away from you...

261A
27th Oct 2005, 15:46
gibbo1305,
I tried for work experience when I was 14 at Swanwick and didn't get it coz I screwed up the interview!

I am 16 and have passed all my GCSEs and onto A levels now but as other people have said, I don't need good grades as I can apply anyway as long as I have studied to A level examination.

Definetly apply I will be when I am 18 and can't wait!