PDA

View Full Version : microlight flying

Trevor KC
25th Oct 2005, 20:35
Hi People

I'm about to take the plunge into the world of microlighting.

Just wondered what views/opinions there might be regarding the C42 Ikarus 3-axis microlight.

Thanks in anticipation of your considered judgements.

Bob Stinger
25th Oct 2005, 22:51
Nice machine ,just take your time and ENJOY yourself, thats an order!

The Trolls' Troll
26th Oct 2005, 02:19
The C42? Probably destined to become the Cessna (reliable and dependable workhorses for training and touring) of the microlight or sport pilot world. First one arrived at Popham, winter of 2004-2005, and from day one, it performed faultlessly, an unusual phenomenon for the introduction of a new aircraft.
There are now four C42’s at Airbourne Aviation(Popham) with new pupils going straight onto those aircraft and not having to learn on the earlier models such as the Ax3 and Thruster.
After converting, many of the older hands commented that it was a great, superbly-engineered aircraft, but it wasn’t a microlight in the old sense ie too refined and comfortable. I felt the same at first ie getting away from that elemental simplicity that attracted me to microlights in the first place. All aircraft have their plusses and minuses but the thing I like most about this aircraft is it’s touring capability.
80 kts (nearly 95mph) in comfort with fingertip trim control means that the plane virtually flies itself, leaving plenty of time to concentrate on the nav and the weather. Would I want to learn to fly in one? Yes, I think so, as they are so reliable and positive in their handling and this type of aircraft is going to be the future of sport aviation. On the other hand, I am really glad I learnt in the old rag’n tube, lawn-mower powered machines. You needed good footwork to maintain balanced flight and good ability to read the wind to attain a successful glide approach. Use of the engine counted as failure. The entire thrust of the teaching was based on engine failure at any time. A very good discipline, which might be difficult to maintain with the reliability of the Rotax 912. The quieter and more comfortable cockpit environment has made me more willing to use the radio and use airfields and airports which you often have to do on longer trips. This aspect is getting more attention than it did in the past, where the emphasis was on bimbling around grass strips and avoiding CAS like the plague. The Swiss-designed, German-built, Rotax(Austrian?) powered aircraft is a machine that is equally at home on tiny grass strips or international airports that accept GA.
I predict that after learning on a C42, it will take a bit of time to get the feel of the older microlights, whereas if you learnt to fly and master the AX3, then any subsequent aircraft is a dawdle. That's a minor detail compared with learning to fly.The C42 is an aircraft where they got everything right first time. You can't go wrong. AWL PPL(M) 500hrs.

Bahn-Jeaux
26th Oct 2005, 05:18
Just a shame it doesnt count for PPL(A) hours, cheap hour building.
Good write up though.

tonyhalsall
26th Oct 2005, 09:31
Just a shame it doesnt count for PPL(A) hours, cheap hour building.
Good write up though.

It would if you flew the Group A version. Many forget just how cheap flying can be found in the Permit fleet. It doesn't come much cheaper than Streak Shadows, Turbulents, Tipsy's, Rans and the like. Most new 3 axis microlights also come in a VLA version permitted by the PFA, same running costs as a microlight and an increased weight allowance. (Don't get me started with this on this BB !!....)

youWILLfly
26th Oct 2005, 10:44
A delightful gem of an aircraft. Beautifully made, ultra reliable, low running costs, comfortable and fast.

No doubt it will become the industry standard (microlight) trainer in the near future.

UK importer is www.aerosportuk.com - plenty of details on the C42 on their site.

Popham has 4 (so far) with about 1500 trouble free hours so, usually in the hands of hamfisted students!

Good luck.:ok:

Seaton Approach
26th Oct 2005, 13:34
Me and my old man fly the Jetfox97, but Dad got plenty of hours in on the C42 before the club stopped using it (real shame because judging from the comments in the posts above, and from Dad's feedback, sounds like I missed out on a treat!).

Cheers,
SA! :ok:

CTAviation
26th Oct 2005, 18:16
Go have a try in the Eurostar as well, used by several schools including at oxford (Kidlington), Shobden, kemble, Sywell, Sutton meadows (cambs) and more.All metal low wing, visibility and handling second to none. C42 is a very good plane but the Eurostar is in my opinion better.

Trevor KC
26th Oct 2005, 19:32
Many thanks for your comments guys I really appreciate them. I have flown the Thruster and the C42, the guy who will be instructing me does have a preference for the thruster(from a teaching point of view) as he says there are no flaps to worry about! I must say it's quite interesting in the C42 with the stick in the middle and the flap lever in the overhead, I can see where you could get into a left hand or right hand situation!:ok: