View Full Version : Flybe Ops Director joins list of resignations

Flying Fiona
25th Oct 2005, 14:42
Well the time has come. The Ops director is not the Ops Director any more. What were you saying Raw Data? And to all the others that were living in dream land that the man remained in charge. He had a stay of execution last month being put in charge of safety and now the man has gone.

The question is was he pushed? I suppose it really doesn't matter. What does matter is will we see change for the good??

Another 9 resignations this month so far and with jobs everywhere you look I suspect there will be alot more.

I for one see hope for the company now. I'm just not sure if this latest resignation will be too late.

I struggle to understand why the chief exec has allowed the situation to go on for as long as it has.

BIGGLES02
25th Oct 2005, 16:11
Great news indeed for the future of Flybe. At least now the board will not be shielded from the truth and the problems can be proactively addressed. It has taken the board a very long time to see what everyone else already saw for many years.

Good luck Flybe, onwards and upwards

Dishman2
25th Oct 2005, 16:37
..trust they don't go tits-up before next week....me mum is flying BRS-TLS wednesday and returning next monday. DON'T you DARE let her get stranded out with us!!!!!:mad:

Artificial Horizon
25th Oct 2005, 17:12
I have read all of the threads about this with interest but up until this point have seen no need to post, but it is driving me mad now. I worked with FlyBe for two years but are no longer with them. I on many occassions had dealings with the flight ops director and like stated before never had any problems with him. He was always up front and honest whenever I asked him questions. I think the problems with MW are more a function of the position he held than anything else. It is an impossible situation to be in being the liason between the pilot workforce and the management without putting a few noses out of joint. The suggestion that MW somehow covered up the resignations and the feelings of the pilots are complete rubbish. There was nothing to stop anyone who wanted to talking to the CEO at anyone of his visits around the bases or indeed in Exeter. I just don't feel it is appropriate to be gloating, especially when there may be circumstances involved that we are not privvy to.

CaptAirProx
25th Oct 2005, 18:02
Gotta say, Jimbo responds to emails quickly if one bothers to talk to him so A/H has a point.

Dash-7 lover
25th Oct 2005, 18:32
If Flying Fiona hates it at FLYBE then why doesn't she leave???? Going on the standard of this post and previous then it sounds like this needs to go under the Cabin Crew section.....

Agent Oringe
25th Oct 2005, 19:07
AH. 2 whole years eh!

There are a few of my collegues at Flybe who sure as hell will be glad to see the back of him along with the EX Jet Fleet Manager.

2 down 1 to go:ok:

Artificial Horizon
25th Oct 2005, 19:24
Yeah, two whole years. I didn't say that it was a good airline to work for, two years was more than enough to put up with the roster disruption that I was experiencing. MW might have had an input into the causes of this but I doubt it. It was purely a function of the airline expanding so quickly and recruitment at other airlines gaining momentum. Flybe will never retain staff as long as they use turbo props and jets of a non common type. By the way, a large portion of my disruption was caused by other flightdeck calling in sick, this included an agonising 3 day stint in the channel islands where each morning the captain called in sick after I had already reported from the hotel resulting in the flights being cancelled every morning. This female captain had a habit of doing this!!

royalterrace
26th Oct 2005, 00:57
Well , I'm with AH. My enjoyable stay with Jersey European was only a little over a year as a contract pilot but I have to say that MW was always upfront with me. A few misunderstandings between crew sked and payroll were always cleared up once MW got involved. He always recieved my calls and seemed quite reasonable. I remember that even back then (6 yrs ago) that he was no ones favorite but I guess that's part of the job when tough unpopular decisions are being made.
Anyway , hope that all of you at Flybe are doing well and that the change brings better things in your future.

Raw Data
26th Oct 2005, 05:57
Flying Fiona lies, lies, and then lies again.

Read the staff notice, have you FF?

Simply put, the personal circumstances that brought about the original re-shuffle have worsened to the point where MW has no choice but to devote his time to other things.

Only a moron would use this situation to attempt to score cheap points. But then, we already know your moral level, FF. Taking another sickie, are we? You are a complete poltroon.

If you actually have access to the staff notice, FF - and I doubt that you do - you will read a ringing endorsement from the CEO, detailing MW's achievements during his tenure.

More to the point, he has always been very straight with me, and others have had a similar experience - see above.

Recent previous Ops Directors have been very poor, and it is hard to see anyone in the company who can step up. It will therefore probably be an external appointment - and many may come to remember the time of MW with great fondness.

On another note...

royalterrace

Great to hear you are still out there... I guess that hotel must have made a real impact on you guys then! :p

heebeegb
26th Oct 2005, 10:04
I was only there foe one year, so take my comments as you wish. AH you are quite correct. FF I think it's time for you to leave.

A2QFI
26th Oct 2005, 10:25
"You will read a ringing endorsement from the CEO, detailing MW's achievements during his tenure."
In football, any support of this nature, for a manager from the owner, is followed within days by resignation or sacking. Nothing new here then!

dv8
26th Oct 2005, 14:13
Bagsies MW Flybe shares if he cant have them :D

Flying Fiona
26th Oct 2005, 15:31
Sorry, MW is keeping his shares.

RD. You are such an old fossil. You know nothing except how to shear sheep. Sorry but you are wrong again. The new Ops director was given the nod a month ago and it was an internal promotion. I'm sure Dash 7 Lover will tell you who it is. The Lover seems to know everything else.

This whole saga has been planned with precision over the last 3 months. YOU choose not to accept it.

Heebeegb go back to your hole. Your just a rich kid who buys promotion and brags that you did it on merit. How do you know so much when you don't even work for Flybe?

PS RD. I always used to like you. Maybe I still do, but just enjoy the banter!!!

Raw Data
26th Oct 2005, 15:51
More lies.

Perhaps you would care to share with us who the new Ops Director is, then? Initials will do. Probably best I don't hold my breath...

[edit: never mind, I just found out]

As it happens, I know what has been happening (from the people it has been happening to), and I know you are well wide of the mark. Nice wind-up attempt, though. Bit like all your other wind-ups.

Like I said... a complete poltroon.

Whispermode
27th Oct 2005, 09:09
'poltroon' - nice word and very apt. :ok:

heebeegb
27th Oct 2005, 09:11
FF. you have no idea who i am do you? i have good mates still with flybe, so have a good idea what's really going on. that's rather than listen to the dribble you come out with!

ltn and beyond
27th Oct 2005, 09:59
MW was always honest with me in my 6 yrs at Flybe, and did for me exactly what he said he would. his job was not a easy one which he did make more difficult for himself by trying to please everyone in every level, and then being caught in the middle not pleasing anyone !!.

I understand he has personal issues which currently dominate his life, and to which he must focus on as would any man!!.

A company cannot be distroyed by one man, and he has done many good things for Flybe, as well as a few questionable things for the workforce!!!!. It is scaremongers and mud slingers like FF that cause much unrest and unhappiness in a company!!!! .

FF if things are so bad why did you not leave when you had the chance???

Raw Data
27th Oct 2005, 13:10
I think you'll find that FF threw a hissy fit a while back and left.

I always liked you too FF, the crewroom just wasn't the same without you.

Still, the stuff you have been posting is just plain nasty. I know you two had (many) run-ins, but our ex-boss has enough on his plate without your bitter rantings.

Give it a rest.

Flying Fiona
31st Oct 2005, 10:20
RD.

Never had a problem with the man until he was plain nasty to me. I still don't hate the man I'm just glad to see him go.

He lost touch with the real world and thought he could do anything he liked. He was a typical front line cabbage ready to get shot and he carried those military traits into the commercial world of business.

I just hope that J.A. uses this window of opportunity to sort the massive problems that exist within Flybe.

PS. The company still doesn't want your skills even though they have just lost another 11 pilots last month. And no I didn't see the list on the ops admin wall. It was taken down because the company is ashamed of the attrition rate.

Ngenfire
31st Oct 2005, 12:36
Quote "a typical front line cabbage ready to get shot"

Flying Fiona

Lovely sentiments in the run up to remembrance day!

It's a good job some had the military traits of courage and determination for which we should all be grateful.

May I suggest a donation to cleanse your soul.

http://www.poppy.org.uk/

Flying Fiona
31st Oct 2005, 13:34
Ngenfire

Sounds like negative fire to me. Not sure if that was your intention but the fact remains joining the military is a choice we all have.

It was my choice not to join because of the risks involved. There was nothing in the statement but you chose to find a meaning. Nothing wrong with that. Your human. However people that sign up with the military tend to be of a certain type and navigators are no exception. I have friends that burnt their hands putting bullets in the guts of Iraqi soldiers so don't ask me to put money into a box that you know nothing about. When was the last time you gave a tenth of your salary to the poppy day appeal? Your moral high ground doesn't wash.

I for one will wear my poppy with pride this year. However it doesn't change my view on a man with a deep down desire to exploit his staff in a way that destructs their familys without even pulling a trigger.

CaptAirProx
31st Oct 2005, 20:52
I'm confused.

I've seen the resignation board only last week in flt ops admin.

Ngenfire
1st Nov 2005, 08:45
Flying Fiona you are an imbecile.

As a currently serving Army Captain I find your remarks naive and full of misinformed stereotypes.

fokker
1st Nov 2005, 10:07
I would like to agree with my Army colleague above: Flying Fiona, you are a cretin. Your opinions are ill founded and wrong and clearly driven by some sense of grievance which has no place in this, or any other, forum. Furthermore, your spelling and grammar are execrable (look it up). May I suggest that you learn: the difference between "your" and "you're"; the plural form of "family" and that there is no verb "to destruct".

If you would care to send me a PM with the appropriate information, I shall be happy to repeat this to your face; a courtesy you have not accorded to MW.

I hope very sincerely that, if you are still (or ever have been) an employee of Flybe, I shall never have the misfortune to be rostered with you. I also hope you will never suffer the pain and misery presently being endured by MW and his family.

GET BACK UNDER YOUR STONE!!

Raw Data
1st Nov 2005, 10:38
FF

However it doesn't change my view on a man with a deep down desire to exploit his staff in a way that destructs their familys without even pulling a trigger.

Two points:

1) It isn't MW who is "destructing" your family - it is you who does that, by choosing to remain in a job that doesn't suit you;

2) if your family is that fragile, you have bigger problems than MW.

As for "no place for RD in flybe", I wish you could see my inbox. It seems to tell a different story...:p

Flying Fiona
1st Nov 2005, 10:50
fokker

Your points are noted. Thank you for your quick response. However your point was??

Your desire to take the community of pprune for an English lesson is not wanted. This is a forum in a democratic society that allows freedom of speech.

I am entitled to my opinions and if you do not like them thats tough. Maybe it would be more worth your while debating the point instead of going off on a tangent and advertising your excellence in the English language. After all, the art of communication in whatever form was derived for conveying a message something that the ex Ops director had a problem with and on first impression you struggle with aswell.

I guess I have touched a raw nerve with both ngenfire, fokker and maybe a few more of you. The fact is you probably put a measly pound in the poppy box compared to the £70,000 salary you earn each year. I challenge you all to go and put £100 in next time you walk past the information desk at the airport. The red poppy will be waiting for you but I bet you don't do it.

fokker
1st Nov 2005, 11:18
Oh, dear.

I rest my case.

No, actually, I think I'll rest it in a moment................

Fiona,

The ill-punctuated, semi-literate drivel that you have just posted makes my point far more eloquently than I ever could. However, I shall attempt to explain in words short enough for you to understand:

MW (as I replied in an earlier post) may or may not have had shortcomings as a manager. FWIW, it is my belief that he is ill-equipped for the role in a company the size that ours now is, whereas he was able to muddle-through when it was smaller. I do not believe that he is basically dishonest, as you have suggested and, yes I do have direct experience on which to base this opinion. HOWEVER, I believe utterly that everyone is entitled to a fair hearing and decent treatment (even one as distorted and bitter as you appear to be) and it ill-behoves anyone to kick a man when he is as comprehensively 'down' as MW is at the moment, whatever the perceived injustice may have been.

You are, indeed, entitled to your opinion. It is, at least partly, to contribute to the preservation of that freedom that I served my Country for 12 years as a military Officer. I stand by your right to hold it even (especially?) when it is as crass, bigoted and poorly-expressed as yours.

I'm not sure where in your corrupted version of discussion the RBL Poppy Appeal crept in but, for the record, I do not earn £70K a year (can't imagine where you got that idea). However, from what I do earn I give to charities a significant three-figure sum annually (the exact amount is between me, my conscience and the tax-man) by Gift Aid - a far more effective form of giving than a counter-top tin, as I am sure you know. Oh, and yes, it does include the Poppy Appeal.

Lastly, I fancy that readers of this thread will form their own opinions as to who struggles with "..conveying a message..".

I repeat: get back under your stone.

OK. NOW I rest my case.

:ok:

Push to talk
1st Nov 2005, 11:33
Been following the Flybe posts, but never said anything sofar. But what I am reading now appears to be more about slagging of FF than about MW and Flybe.

I have been out of the company several years now and have still quite a few friends still in on all levels. Can say most are not impressed with the man in question, including myself. Besides having no clue who were on his fabulous Kick Start meetings (you could attend two of these on one day and he would not remember on the second one he saw you on the first) I crossed his "war"path but didn't immediately give in and came to know a different side of him. Not very nice I must say. Had to do with his position as well ofcourse, but it all depends on how you bring it to your people and the way you deal with things.

Funny enough I now work with quite a few people that knew him from before his Flybe time and they are all (without any exception) not too positive about him. I think it might be good for flybe that he leaves and am sure the company will do fine without him.

And BTW RD, don't know you very well but if you have a family or would have I am sure your kids would sleep in B'ham City shirts and on days off you take the family to the airport to see Flybe airplanes land and take off. ;)
Ofcourse the flybe roster upsets family life! Maybe not on your idyllic base, but many guys are fed up with changing rosters and unscheduled overnights. And to give the answer before the question comes, yes, these guys are busy with leaving.

But please don't let me hold all of you from slaggin' of FF a bit more.

Cheers,

Ptt

Raw Data
1st Nov 2005, 14:30
PTT

In my time at flybe, I spent most of it at EDI on the 146. We were, after the initial year of LCY, probably the most dislocated and dicked-about base in the company. Daily commutes to NCL, early morning dashes to GLA, weeks spent in the SOU Hilton - I was away from home a hell of a lot. I complained about it at the time to MW, and he went out of his way to "ease our pain". I have a young family, and I was conscious of the effect on them. In the end, I decided that my family was more important, and that is the reason - the only reason - I no longer work for flybe. If I was to lay blame anywhere, it would be at JF's door, as he signs off on all those decisions that result in us being messed about. However, that would hardly be fair as many of those decisions had to be made to ensure the future of the company.

My point is, I always had the choice. If I didn't like it, I could leave; if I felt my family was at risk, I could stay anyway and let them suffer. It was always my choice.

The difference between me and FF is that he blames MW for ruining his life, and I take responsibility for mine. He doesn't understand that his destiny is in his own hands, or that operational decisions regarding bases or resulting in roster turbulence are only rarely the fault of the Ops Director. In my experience, those decisions are made by Commercial and are often argued against, on behalf of the crews, by MW!

People who have a run-in with any manager are likely to be less than objective in their views, and it shows in some of the comments here. Of course it is never their fault, always the manager...

FF has led us to believe that he is a person of exceptionally little character. Assuming that is true - half the time, stuff on here is a wind-up- he deserves all he gets.

Push to talk
1st Nov 2005, 17:35
RD,

Only meant that I rather see more about flybe than about who and what with FF. That's all.

Thanx for your brief lifestory in flybe. I already knew, cause I actually know you better than I said. Had EDI as base as well for a while and was also always away from home.

On topic; good that MW did his best for you. Wish he would have done the same. Always laid low in the company and worked when asked, but didn't matter to him. Despite asking for a bit of sympathy he pretty much let me crash and burn, with JC in his wake. Hard to forget if it happens to you, I tell you. Maybe he helped you because you were LHS and I was then still RHS, therefore probably dispensable. I don't know. Anyway, I didn't burn the bridge, but I can say the bridge was pretty soaked with fuel and it was hard to not drop the match. If you hear me ;)

All the best.

Rgds,

Ptt

CaptAirProx
1st Nov 2005, 19:16
Of all my dealings with management either at flybe or wherever, one thing thats strikes me is that it is a two way relationship. As advocates have already implied here.

So far, I have never had a bad moment with any management implied here. Maybe because when I have had issues, I have also seen it from the employers point of view. There is no such thing as a free lunch chaps and we can't have it all our own personal way.

If it ain't going your way, try and fix it, if that won't work, leave. Flybe like any business trying to stay afloat, has to remember its goal, that being don't sink. I would rather have been in the dinghy with air in its tubes than get it all my way to see the air pissing out over board. This is how it seemed back a few years ago. Hard decisions were made, and here we are now.......

There are of course, two sides to every coin.

ltn and beyond
1st Nov 2005, 19:26
RD, i take it you now know that FF did not as you stated "have a fit and leave" !!, although as you rightly said we are all in control of our own decissions, and FF should leave or shut up whinging about how much his life is being made hard.

The guys he leaves in the s**t every time he calls in on his sick days, now they can moan about one man making life hard for everyone !!!!!

Raw Data
2nd Nov 2005, 07:06
Nope he has either left the company or is telling porkies. Easy enough to figure out if you read carefully... in fact I think you will find he left some time ago (just in time to avoid being pushed, as it happens).

Torycanyon
26th Nov 2005, 18:07
I have heard just recently that MW is back on a part time specialist contract.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I hope not, for all our sakes.:yuk:

Sean Dillon
26th Nov 2005, 20:58
FlyBe sounds no different to the regional turboprop airline I work for - we are losing loads of crew at the moment to Globespan/easyJet/Thomsonfly/First Choice/Thomas Cook...it is not a mystery at this level of the industry....

FF - your an idiot!

bluepilot
26th Nov 2005, 23:01
who is this FF Bird?

sounds a bloody nightmare!! hope the chips on her shoulders are balanced!

bluepilot
27th Nov 2005, 22:23
well if he has the name fiona his parents are either very cruel or have a warped humour!

MOR
27th Nov 2005, 22:58
The whole FF persona is an attempt at misdirection - that should be obvious. The individual doesn't work for flybe any more, as you can see from his/her/its thread on Jet Blast. That thread also seems to confirm what Raw Data said - this person seems to have left under a cloud (flybe wouldn't give him/her/it a reference, so there must have been some problem).

The only purpose of this persona seems to be to inflict damage on flybe, which is a particularly cowardly act to perform from under the cloak of anonymity.

It makes you wonder how people of such low moral substance ever become professional pilots. Well, perhaps we should not use the word "professional" to describe this person... :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Agent Oringe
2nd Dec 2005, 23:06
Wouldn't be a classic case of somebodies fingers doing the walking would it?

RAFAT
4th Dec 2005, 03:27
I think Flying Fiona's Leeds location is a misdirection also.