PDA

View Full Version : JETSTAR discussions (All Bases)

The Voice
20th Oct 2005, 14:41
Hi there,

could someone give me a hint where the JQ Ops (Crewing and/or Flight Despatchers) are based?

Iguanahead
21st Oct 2005, 00:29
I believe they're in Melbourne.

TightSlot
25th Oct 2005, 09:11
JETSTAR discussions (All Bases)

ricciricardo
26th Oct 2005, 00:48
Seems a bit quiet here? Everybody either workin' thier butts off or sleeping:ugh: :sad:

labia vortex
26th Oct 2005, 04:32
They probably just don't know about PPRuNE.
Perhaps someone should tell them.

Mr Seatback 2
26th Oct 2005, 05:34
Nah...I'll go with ricci here. Repeating 4 sectors every day leaves you knackered.

zzzzzzzzz.....

skywitch
28th Oct 2005, 03:52
Try JQ HO in Melbourne or Tullamarine APT

Nihao
28th Oct 2005, 09:39
Anyone know when Jetstar might be recruiting again?

Thanks!:D

ricciricardo
29th Oct 2005, 13:31
JQ H/Office Bourke Street Melbourne

JQ continually draw applicants for CC via staffcv.com

red or white
4th Nov 2005, 21:44
Hi guys..
Anybody know whats happening with jetstar applications. They are recruiting online!
Whats the deal, I heard that they are planning to take over a large part of international flying from QF? True?

Simon Templar
4th Nov 2005, 22:18
There are certain routes where QF mainline has never been able to make money,because they are basically leisure routes.
They are therefore price sensitive.
Rome,Athens, Vancouver Tahiti and Honolulu to name a few
Some Asian ports like Taiwan and Korea may also fall into this category.
QF Mainline will probably shrink to routes where P/C and premium J/C are in demand.
Doesn`t leave much...LHR LAX HKG BKK SIN SFO etc.
Even this will eventually change with technology...777LR "hub busters".
JetStar will service these leisure routes with a lower cost base in a 2 class configuration.
Peter Gregg has been working on this for about 12 months
Jet* will become a large part of the Qantas Group.
Qantas mainline will be the premium end of the business.
It will ultimately downsize.
The point is, most travellers care only about price not about brand.
Older wealthier and business travellers care about brand, comfort and service.
They are in the minority and shrinking
The Japanese are the one standout..they are interested in Brand.
I doubt a LCC will ever be successful servicing The Land of the Rising Sun.
But then again....
Jet*will have a higher attrition rate of staff..stay 3 to 5 years,party, shop, see the world.... leave.
Small super costs,fresh faces lower wages,cheaper accommodation.
No retired staff on stafftravel
Dixon's dream

speedbirdhouse
4th Nov 2005, 23:09
Dixon and Howards dream.......................

The "Mc job"

Coming to you, Australia wide.

www.actu.asn.au

ditzyboy
5th Nov 2005, 03:14
Jet*will have a higher attrition rate of staff..stay 3 to 5 years,party, shop, see the world.... leave.

That is SO true! I have been with Impulse/QFLink/Jetstar for 5 years and both the newer staff and Jetstar make us out to be bitter, old and a drain on their company. And I am only 25!

Those Impulse originals such as myself have PROVEN to be flexible and extremely hardworking - much better than half (certainly not all!) the lazy 19-20 year old pretty little things we employ now. Yet they put up with the going ons of Jetstar because they know very little and couldn't care less - which is why the company loves them.

I think it is strange that after only 5 years with a company and in my mid-20s I feel like many of the 30 year Long Haul CSMs/FAs I have spoken to!

I just want Jetstar to be realistic regarding pay and conditions for domestic and international operations. From what I hear their attitude / approach is laughable. I heard this today and it is ofcourse rumour... Hopefully I am to be proved wrong... :hmm:

Simon Templar
5th Nov 2005, 03:31
The cost of training and equipping an FA takes approximately three years to recover.
After that, well, you become very expendable.
I generalize,but most Airlines see crew as a necessary evil.
Crew are an absentee workforce who,as a result,are very difficult to control much to the annoyance of management.
This is the way of the future....a high attrition rate,no union,easy to dismiss,no career.
Just fodder.
There are always thousands who want to be CC.
If you aren't happy and leave you won't be missed.
This is what has happened in the USA.
Its also why service on American Carriers is generally appalling.
We are not in the hospitality or service industry.
We are in the transport industry
Management are infallible..crew are expendable.
The newbies have no loyalty to their employer because they don't intend to stay long.
They try to get as much out of the experience and then leave.
Pax to them are more of an annoyance than anything else.

ditzyboy
5th Nov 2005, 21:26
Sadly, I agree. Having flown domestically in the US I would have to say it is fast going that way.

How can the culture of a company change SO much over 18 months? It is amazing.

Galley Power
7th Nov 2005, 13:05

The newbies have no loyalty to their employer because they don't intend to stay long.

That is SO true! I have been with Impulse/QFLink/Jetstar for 5 years and both the newer staff and Jetstar make us out to be bitter, old and a drain on their company. And I am only 25!

At National Jet Systems/QantasLink, we have some cabin crew that have been around for up to 14 years - since day one!
Not once has anyone regarded these cabin crew as old, worn out types who are a drain to the company! In fact they can be quite fun to fly with (like a lot of crew). We have a lot of cabin crew who enjoy this position as a longer term career, and, as always, there's those interested only for a few years.
In addition, we are not an airline, but a contract company. Therefore we don't get as many benefits as those in, say Qantas mainline eg: mainline staff I.D. travel, smaller jet aircraft, job stability (being a contract company), and we don’t even ‘see the world’. Instead, we fly a lot of miners who don't even pay for their tickets and are unhappy to be there and make us busy all flight for drinks etc... In addition we work hard and are a low cost contract company. Having shared this we still have crew stick with us despite not having many things other airlines take for granted. But a lot of people do tend to stay with us (at least for a decent amount of years) which I think is a good thing to see despite our less 'glamorous' flying. Having said this, I think that Jetstar International, with its long haul flying, will attract cabin crew who will stay on for the longer run. I reckon the award will be reasonable for a low cost airline. Their flights may be longer but they'll never do four sector days for example.

Am I correct in saying that some people in NJS, Jetstar International/Domestic and Virgin Blue want to fly as their main career? I think so.

Pax to them are more of an annoyance than anything else. I know I have travelled Jet* several times. Warning : Do not interrupt a Jet*FA when she is having a conversation with another crew member

I think the recruitment personnel and/or company morale are to blame sometimes...

Simon Templar
7th Nov 2005, 13:46
You totally miss the point

Galley Power
8th Nov 2005, 01:26
Simon Templar

I was simply expressing my opinions on some of your ideas of 'Dixon's Dream'. Just not all dreams come 100% true in this case I believe - regarding the staffing.

Simon Templar
8th Nov 2005, 01:44
That careers as we know them now are finished.
No one employed from hereon in will have a career as Cabin Crew spanning any more than about 5 years.
Even some crew employed in the last 5 years won't be here in another 5.

QFRegional
8th Nov 2005, 08:50
Thanks to the decision made by long haul crew to increase the number of positions available in overseas bases and by short haul crew to introduce casual crew through a contract company NO career opportunities as flight attendants have been or ever will be available to Australians with Qantas (The spirit of Australia) not to mention management exploiting these provisions in both EBA's.

So Simon Templar thanks to decisions made by your lot and short haul the same opportunities available to your generation will NEVER be available again.

That leaves Jet* as the only option.

Where should I send my thank-you card along with the many other thousands of Australians that ever had dreams of working for our national carrier and before you say it, yes ive already sent a card to Qantas management but you lot gave them the ability to achieve such an outcome.

So dont come on here bitching about Jet* while packing your bag for L.A. care factor ZERO!

speedbirdhouse
8th Nov 2005, 08:59
QFregional,

your criticism of the longhaul FAAA for the situation whereby NO fulltime positions are available for ANY QF CC member in Australia is blindingly misdirected.

Voted liberal at the last federal election I suppose?

Can you see the links between the following.

Howard
Dixon
Casualisation
Corporate greed
Mc Job
Small penis
Servant and master relationship

QFRegional
8th Nov 2005, 10:12
As expected never willing to accept even part of the responsibility always blame someone else.

Yeah John Howard voted up an EBA that was the begining of the end for long haul crew and Australians wanting cabin crew positions with Qantas.

The new laws are not in effect YET as you know therefore Qantas must work within the EBA which thanks to long haul crew allowed over 800 off-shore positions and in short haul unlimited casuals.

Simon Templar
8th Nov 2005, 10:23
Our previous representation were fools.
Unfortunately the damage is done
Lets hope the next shorthaul EBA doesn't make it worse.
Cabin Crew have never been good at representing themselves.
I blame no one for the bases but ourselves.
Well 6% of us anyway.
That was the difference between yes and no.
One day I would like to know what the three blind mice did.
How they could screw up so badly.
I speak of course of Brem Boome and Warner
BTW I apologize if you think I was bitching about Jet*
I t was just one hostie.
Any way I will delete that part of the thread.

speedbirdhouse
8th Nov 2005, 10:40
QFregional,

to suggest that QF longhaul are responsible for the fact that there are no career opportunities in Australia any more is disingenuous.

We were unsuccessful in our attempts to prevent this situation which is not the same as being responsible for creating it.

There isn't a single Australian based QF longhauler who is happy about the bases.

Mr Seatback 2
8th Nov 2005, 13:27
Valid though these points are to the general issues facing crew, there is a DEDICATED Qantas thread on this matter (s) elsewhere in this forum.

Don't care if I sound like a wet blanket, but these issues have been discussed AD NAUSEAM elsewhere. This is a Jetstar thread for Jetstar issues...some, if not most, affect Jetstar crew definitely...but I'M NOT GOING TO STAND BY AND LET ANOTHER THREAD BE HIJACKED BY WHAT THE LONG AND SHORT HAUL FAAA DID TO ONE ANOTHER.

End of rant.