PDA

View Full Version : Handling agents

FlyingForFun
24th Oct 2005, 18:13
I'm not a frequent visitor to "big" airports, but I have visited a couple of them recently. There is, invariably, a requirement to be handled, and where this is the case, the VFR flight guides we use generally make it clear that this is the case, and give a list of handling agents.

However, in quite a few cases, it's possible to be handled by the local flying club. Yet I've never yet seen the local flying club listed in the VFR flight guides as a handling agent, despite the fact that this would be the best choice for most users of these guides.

Specific examples that I've encountered this year are Cardiff, Prestwick and Manchester.

So, the question - is there any "generic" advice which could be given if flying into an airport where handling is mandatory? Having decided I need to be at Anytown International Airport, how should I go about arranging the cheapest possible handling?

(And a side-issue - why do the flight guides not list the flying club as a handling agent? I think I know the answer to this - I'd guess it's because the airport authorities contribute most of the information in the guides, and they would rather you use the expensive handling agents because they make more money that way?)

FFF
---------------

capt.sparrow
25th Oct 2005, 08:41
To act as a handling agent you need to be licensed by the airfield to do so. A flying club would not be licensed to do this. If they were they would be listed as such in the AIP, and would have to pay airport levy on all sales/monies they took to the airport.

FlyingForFun
25th Oct 2005, 10:51
Capt Sparrow, that's understood.

But in that case, how come at each of the three airports I named earlier (and probably quite a few more, too), it's possible to be "handled" by the flying club???

FFF
------------

mazzy1026
25th Oct 2005, 11:52
Hi FFF, long time no type :cool:

Could it be possible that the aircraft that are being handled by the flying school, actually belong to the school itself?

Regards,

Maz :ok:

capt.sparrow
26th Oct 2005, 19:22
FFF - exactly! I know at Cardiff you can visit the club as long as you dont leave the airfield - the argument being that the club apron is in a restricted zone and the club should not allow access to the restricted zone to anyone except badged cardiff RZ pass holders (ie club members) - therefore if you fly in for a cup of tea then fine, but if you want to visit the football stadium then a handling agent will be required over at the main apron. At bournemouth you only require a handling agent if you want to park on the main apron otherwise you can go to the club/FRA/citation centre/meridian etc etc with no handling - I guess at larger airfields where parkinig and airside access are an issue then they impose handling agent rules to keep things organised. I bet if you turn up at the flying club in a BBJ someone will notice though........?