PDA

View Full Version : Any harm in asking?

spoilers yellow
23rd Oct 2005, 15:47
With respect to how hard you guys seem to be working on the RT, is there any harm in us asking if eg. 27L is available for landing if you're using 27R?
Does it wind you up when we ask or are you happy to fit us in if you can?

Many thanks.

Jerricho
23rd Oct 2005, 15:51
Unfortunately at Heathrow with the noise abatement procedures that are in place, a request like this will be given an answer of "No", especially when westerlies are in use. At many airports, ATC hands are tied regarding which runways they can actually use with respect to noise (like the good old 1500 alternation).

As you probably know if the inbound delays are excessive, both runways may be used in certain circumstances, but some big-brain at TC is frantically working out an ideal order as who to put on the other runway (wake turbulence isses, where they're parking etc)

Sorry mate.

spoilers yellow
23rd Oct 2005, 16:17
no probs, just curious.

Thanks for the reply.

fly bhoy
23rd Oct 2005, 16:37
Further to Jerricho's post

You're definitely going to get a "no" to the request if its westerlies, but if we're on easterlies there's a chance. It does depend on how busy everyone is, however, and I would say if you can hear they're working their ar*e off then I would reccommend against it. If it is available its more probable that if you're lucky it'll be offered to you, but I suppose if you don't ask you don't get!!!;) Just use common sense though because as I've already said, if it's already difficult to get a word in on the RT, I would say that should tell you the answer!!:{

FB:ok:

Gonzo
23rd Oct 2005, 17:23
On easterlies, some of us might even offer you 09R!

Now how's that for service provision!

I emphasise the word some ..... :E

spoilers yellow
23rd Oct 2005, 18:06
And some might even accept it!! :p

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate all your help.

And thanks again to all the guys in the tower who managed to find time for a quick visit when all hell seemed to be breaking out last weekend.

Cheers.

Gonzo
23rd Oct 2005, 18:40
When did you visit?

10 DME ARC
23rd Oct 2005, 21:16
Reminds me of a fam flight a few years back….. Sitting on a B752 on 09L and wanting T1 the captain turned to me and the young f/o and said I show you a trick, he then called the tower saying “Birdseed XYZ we’re picking up some vortex from the one ahead any chance of moving over to 09R?” the reply was “the one ahead is a FK27 CONTINUE” a very quiet cockpit for the rest of the flight!

:)

Del Prado
24th Oct 2005, 11:54
I don't think it's worth asking on westerlies.
As Jerricho said, if there is an opportunity to land on the 'other' runway when on westerlies, the lucky ones are chosen not just according to where they're parking but also whether there's a vortex gap to fit them into.
Don't call us, we'll call you. :ok:

spoilers yellow
25th Oct 2005, 22:32
Gonzo,
Visited on Sun 16th Oct, around midday ish.
There was some "special" flight operating over central London playing havoc with your departures and then some light aircraft decided to start heading towards north london, suspending all north bounds.

Impressive to watch!!

Thanks again.

Spoilers.:eek: