PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft incident in CWL

EGNH01
22nd Oct 2005, 15:59
Just been told that a light aircraft is blocking the runway at CWL anyone any more info?

DubTrub
22nd Oct 2005, 19:50
Wot is CWL? Come on, we're private flyers here, not letter-spotters.

Flik Roll
22nd Oct 2005, 19:54
Cardiff Airport

CWL is the pax luggage label name for it... like LHR or LGW

:8

I only know cos I flew to Cardiff...and was wondering where the heck they got the L from...there's not even an L in the Welsh - Caerdydd!

rustle
23rd Oct 2005, 07:58
By that logic you should have been confused by the W as well. ;)

Cardiff WaLes help?

BEagle
23rd Oct 2005, 08:40
As opposed to some other Cardiff...:rolleyes: ??

Baggage label names are sooo irritating. Like people who say "I'm routing via the Charlie Papa Tango....." instead of "I'm routing via Compton".

snchater
23rd Oct 2005, 09:03
I think you will find that 'Charlie Papa Tango' is the correct R/T phraseology :\

BEagle
23rd Oct 2005, 10:06
No - names should be passed in full.

Never have I been cleared "Direct Bravo Papa Kilo" - always "Direct Brookman's Park".

It's only pseuds with their "Err, good morning Sir, Err, this is Golf Alfa err Bravo Charlie Delta, Papa Alfa Too Eight Romeo Two Hundred,, err, routing, err, via the Charlie Foxtrot Delta, err, err...blah blah" who say come up with such drivel.

Anyway, isn't it actually 'Rhoose'? ;)

WeatherJinx
23rd Oct 2005, 10:34
Isn't the phraseology there to distinguish between a navaid and a place name? Passing Dover and routing via the Delta Victor Romeo are clearly two different things - but maybe this should be kept for when airborne ;)

Gunman returns
23rd Oct 2005, 12:23
Sorry Beagle you are wrong. English controllers assume a certain local knowledge with English (British) pilots and give the full names of vors particularly in the London area. The correct phonetics are often given to foreign airlines. For example this morning I was given 'route biggin,lambourne ,brookmans park expect to hold brookmans park delay 10 mins.The very nxt call to Air India ' Route Bravo India Golf, Lima Alpha Mike,Bravo Papa Kilo, hold Bravo Papa Kilo.
God help us if we had to know the names of Vors all over the world

Scottie Dog
23rd Oct 2005, 12:47
And the answer to the original question was............ ?

J.A.F.O.
23rd Oct 2005, 15:34
Perhaps it was merely blocking the runway while the pilot looked up some pointless TLAs.

London Mil
23rd Oct 2005, 15:53
... and I thought CWL was Cranwell!!

I guess it would be too much for the movers etc to use the ICAO 4 letter codes (eg EGFF).

Flik Roll
23rd Oct 2005, 16:35
And yes it is Rhoose...

flower
23rd Oct 2005, 16:45
It hasn't been called Rhoose airport in years, nor Cardiff Wales.
It is Cardiff International Airport.
The 3 letter designators make no logical sense with many, the ICAO 4 letter designators make some sense

As for the incident itself, I have no knowledge on it because I am on leave, the reports I have heard are that a Robin 118 came off the runway at an unplanned point i.e. not Tarmac, that means the runway effectively becomes blocked, thankfully the occupants didn't have any injuries.

rustle
23rd Oct 2005, 16:51
It hasn't been called Rhoose airport in years, nor Cardiff Wales.

It is Cardiff International Airport.
Flower, tagging your bags "CIA" might give the wrong impression ;)

flower
23rd Oct 2005, 17:04
Indeed Rustle, could be fun though if flying to the USA.

Wonder if the Fire Service pushed the aircraft out of the way then as they did with the Jodel who did the ground loop and ended up in the grass ?

spitfire747
24th Oct 2005, 11:42
we suffered a power loss after takeoff approx 250feet, landed back on the runway but overshot and ended up to the left of the ILS on the grass. Indeed we had no power and therefore the fire service helped push the aircraft back to the taxi way where we were towed back to the apron.
All compliments go to the ATC and Fire brigade were on scene before we even exited the aeroplane.

flower
24th Oct 2005, 12:26
Good to hear you are OK :ok:

eyeinthesky
25th Oct 2005, 09:05
Gunman:

For example this morning I was given 'route biggin,lambourne ,brookmans park expect to hold brookmans park delay 10 mins.The very nxt call to Air India ' Route Bravo India Golf, Lima Alpha Mike,Bravo Papa Kilo, hold Bravo Papa Kilo.
God help us if we had to know the names of Vors all over the world

Unquote

Unless something has changed in the last 24 hrs, I suggest you are getting confused.

There is no hold at BPK, and the route you gave is impossible. The holding fixes for Heathrow are at LAM, BIG, OCK and BNN. An inbound aircraft would never be routed as you gave.

As for knowing the names, I will use the names in the instructions and only use the phonetic spelling if a) the aircrew do not recognise the name or b) I suspect some confusion between one fix and another similar-sounding one (Refso/Redfa).