PDA

View Full Version : Repainting a PA28

jayemm
22nd Oct 2005, 13:37
The pa28 has reached the stage where it must have a repaint.

I've heard that this can be an expensive business. Would any one like to share their experiences?

Any recommendations, do's and don'ts?

How much should we budget?

BEagle
22nd Oct 2005, 15:00
About £6K...

My recommendation would be Mick Allen Resprays at Turweston.

A and C
22nd Oct 2005, 15:43
Would agree with the recomendation but would think that the price has gone up a bit.

Don't let a few hundred quid sway the balance Mick Allen puts out first rate work and gets the paint into all the aircraft unlike some I could name who think that a respray can be done without removing the flying controls.

ozplane
22nd Oct 2005, 16:26
I had my Airtourer done by Colton Aviation 12 years ago and with a polish each Spring and Autumn, it comes up like new. Mind you it is hangared but I can recommend their work. They even got up at 0400 to spray it so the storm bugs weren't around to spoil the white paint. You get what you pay for in this game so a car-sprayer who has a few gallons of Ford paint left might not give you what you're looking for.

BigEndBob
22nd Oct 2005, 19:09
Interesting point, a friend decided to park is aircraft outside as it was cheaper to have the aircraft resprayed every 3 years than to have it hangared!

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Oct 2005, 21:26
No recommendations on painting, but after the new paint has had a year or so to harden off, get it Teflon coated by somebody like Air Defence at Compton Abbas.

On our PA28 it made a huge difference to cleanliness and ease of care, and also added about 5kn to the 70% cruise speed. (Mind you, it also made getting the covers on in a wind virtually impossible).

G

snchater
23rd Oct 2005, 15:17
I left my C182 with Mick Allen yesterday - I will be picking it up in 6 weeks time with its new paint-scheme :O

His previous respray lasted 15 years and he remembered doing it - he even has photos of it !

My gut instinct is that he takes great pride in his work .