PDA

View Full Version : C210 Crash in Namibia

ZEEBEE
21st Oct 2005, 05:46
Anybody know about a C210 Crash in Namibia ? I understand that it was a survey aircraft.

Very sad... Condolences to all concerned.

Voel
21st Oct 2005, 06:51
check front page of Die Republikein at www.republikein.com.na Its very sad indeed, especially if you spent so much time with the pilot dicussing the survey exercise and the safety aspect

ZEEBEE
21st Oct 2005, 07:49
Thanks for the link Voel.
The photograph unfortunately confirms our worst fears.
Perhaps when the cause is found if at all, the rest of us who have been luckier may learn from it.
Something may come out from the tradgedy.
As you say it's sad but even more so when you've spent time with the crew.

Voel
21st Oct 2005, 13:14
Zeebee, I guess you will not be in a position to read the newspaper, but the one pilot used to be an Australian and the other one from New Zealand. Both known to me very well.

Gunship
21st Oct 2005, 13:25
:sad: RIP guys :sad:

bigmanatc
21st Oct 2005, 17:53
Greetings Voel.......was the NZ crew member female....? :uhoh: pm me if you want....you know who I am....

arrow208
21st Oct 2005, 20:29
Another sad day in Aviation!

Having flown C210 (awesome plane) in Namibia for the last three years till a few months ago, I got to know most of the WA crew. Was it their pilots flying, did not know they employed foreign crew or were they only employed to do the survey flying?! Working in another African country at the moment, and only found out about the accident here. Does anybody maybe know who the pilots was?

iridium
22nd Oct 2005, 05:08
I think the pilot was an awesome Kiwi bloke who used to fly for Hardy's in Darwin, then went up to Horn Island with Aerotropics. He was doing this survey job for a couple of months before heading back to NZ to start with Eagle over there.
He will be missed by all the old Darwin boys (and lots of the girls too I think...) RIP Tripod:{ :{

ClipClop
22nd Oct 2005, 07:23
I only know one involved, and what a top bloke he was. He will be missed.
My heart goes out to the families of all those involved. I wish it hadn't happened.......

flyboy2
22nd Oct 2005, 13:48
Two killed in plane crash
22/10/2005 12:25

Two foreign nationals have been killed in plane crash in Windhoek, Nambia, SABC radio news reported on Saturday.
The two men, an Australian and a New Zealander, were in the country conducting geographical research when their Cessna plane crashed south of the capital.

It's believed they were blinded by the sun as they came over a mountain ridge and flew into the ground.

Their names have not yet been released, SABC reported.

News24/SAPA

pantyripper
23rd Oct 2005, 01:33
does anyone out there have the Kiwi blokes next of kin details, can you PM them to me, he will be missed, a great bloke that lived life to the fullest.

captain69
23rd Oct 2005, 02:10
Yeah, RIP Ian and co,

Worked with Ian years ago in AD, WGC, a top fellow.

Stayinalive
23rd Oct 2005, 08:35
Sad to say....classical and predictable survey accident. Single engine piston, probably 1st line of the day flying heavy, high alt and low to the ground with limited viz into the sun with mountainous terrain to deal with.
8 or 9 yrs ago a similar accident in Namibia claimed the lives of 2 Canadians doing exactly the same in a multi piston.
Interested to find out whether these guys were here to do this on a temporary basis with little or no survey experience in their past flying career.
Should not have happened........
My condolences to all family and friends.

ZEEBEE
24th Oct 2005, 01:13
Agreed StayinAlive that it was sad and shouldn't have happened, but I think you're drawing a long bow with the rest of your assumptions, given that we still don't really know what happened.
While I can't speak for the Kiwi pilot, I can say that the Australian pilot was very experienced in low level survey flying.
If it was a combination of terrain and sun-glare as one of the reports mentioned, then it highlights one of the few shortcomings of the C210 at low-level. That is, it's poor forward visibility over the instrument panel and engine bay, both of which make low flying in hilly terrain in these aircraft an excercise in faith.
Unfortunately, we will possibly NEVER know what really happened and as such no lessons will be learnt.

Tempo
24th Oct 2005, 04:21
Very tragic news.

I worked with Dougal up in Darwin and he certainly was a bloke with a huge heart.

Stayinalive
24th Oct 2005, 08:06
ZEEBEE
Hope u dont get me wrong here....dont think drawing a long bow on this one here and making assumptions...merely after 7000hrs of low level survey behind me and another who knows how many ahead stating that this appears the most likely scenario and one of the most PREVENTABLE.
An organization exists namely IAGSA that was founded 10 or so yrs ago with the aim of eliminating this kind of thing. As far as their recomendations go with regards to Terrain / Temperature / Altitude / Low level risk etc I am pretty confident that they would certainly not agree with a single piston a/c but rather a multi turbine to carry out this type of work in Namibia that is notorious for killing experienced survey crews.
I have my own views on this one but feel that this aint the place to thrash it. I hope IAGSA are watching.........
I hope that we will be able to learn from this unfortunate and definately preventable accident.

campdog3
24th Oct 2005, 10:05
Dougal you champion!!!! You will be dearly missed mate! I'll have a cold one in your honour!!!

Aviation loses another one of the good guys.... RIP!

Yakka
25th Oct 2005, 07:25
Dougs.....We already miss you mate

Hasselhof
27th Oct 2005, 06:14
Another friendly face, real character and top bloke gone. Its a far sadder world without you round dougs. After 3 years in the top end trying to make a break, some of my clearest memories are of the encouragement that you gave me. You'll be missed greatly by all that knew you.