PDA

View Full Version : Police Heli Visit UK

Vfrpilotpb
5th Jun 2001, 23:36
Today I have had the privilage of taking up an offer to visit an actual working Police Heli Unit , it was brilliant, not what I expected, the staff were very friendly( cups of tea) and totally tuned in to what they are about, whislt I still have my views on the equal funding that I feel should be given to the Hems (UK) Helicopters, I can now see that the idea that these chaps fly out to anything is not right. It would be wrong to name the crew, it is enough to say, A Very big thank you for all your time and trouble explaining things to me, I am impressed.
My Regards for the future, and safe landings!
Peter R-B :) :) :)

Multp
6th Jun 2001, 02:08
vfr:
Well done, mate! Thanks for taking up my suggestion. We can all learn from each other, in aviation, as elsewhere, in this funny old world. Glad you enjoyed your visit. Sure you would find an equally warm welcome from any of the police air support units: they are generally quite happy to explain to fellow aviators how they operate.

MightyGem
6th Jun 2001, 06:48
Feel free to call in on us at Woodvale if your passing this way.

Vfrpilotpb
6th Jun 2001, 09:43
Multi,
Thanks for the suggestion in the first place. :)

MG,
I'LL do that , I will ask ATC if I can drop in, but give you a landline first. Thanks
My Regards :)

steve atherton
7th Jun 2001, 21:27
UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE NOT ALL AS FREINDLY DONT TRY WEST YORKS AT CARRGATE.

I RANG TO GO ROUND AND SEE THEM THEY SAID OK ,AS IT HAPPENS I WAS ALSO WANTING TO INFORM THEM AS I HAD BOUGHT A PROPERTY UNDERNEATH WHERE THEY USUALLY DESEND, AND FOR SAFTY REASONS I THOUGHT THEY SHOULD KNOW

WELL WHEN I GOT THERE THEY SAID IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS GO AWAY .I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO BAD BY ANYBODY ELSE IN THE HELI INDUSTRY NORMALLY EVERONE IS SO FRIENDLY BUT SADLY NOT WEST YORKS. SO FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS I JUST KEEP MY DISTANCE ALONG WITH MOST OTHER HELI PILOTS IN THE AREA.

Thomas coupling
7th Jun 2001, 22:31
Sorry to hear that Steve. You must have picked on a bad 'un. I would argue that the VAST majority would welcome you with open arms. We would most certainly...

Good on you VFRmfidfsmbe!!!

------------------
Thermal runaway.

Rotor Nut
8th Jun 2001, 02:01
That's a shame about Cargate - I would have liked to visit and see their new NOTAR. I wrote recently to the Police Authority about a possible visit to Cargate but didn't get a reply - a funny way to go about getting support. As a normal working class bloke that just about manages to afford to fly R22 I get sick of these elitist attitudes. You'd think they would welcome fellow helo pilots but obviously we are just an irritant!

[This message has been edited by Rotor Nut (edited 07 June 2001).]

psyclic
8th Jun 2001, 12:19
Rotor Nut: The civilian helo pilot on any police unit would be happy to talk to you. No elitism there. But remember these are Police units not flying clubs full of aviators. At any police air support unit at any time there is only one aviator on duty (who is in effect the civilian driver) . The rest are coppers doing their job, and why should they talk to you?

Hughes500
8th Jun 2001, 12:53
Pyslic
The Police should talk to the public after all we pay them - what's your problem here ?

It is very very sad if the attitude these days is for the Police not to speak to the public.

Perhaps I live in a different world - no funny comments please. All I can say is Devon and Cornwall boys are excellent

Have a safe one

Marco
8th Jun 2001, 15:01
I would say that the item about W.Yorks if it is true, is very much the exception. I've been in the business for over 6 years and have found 99% in the Police Aviation business in UK to be very open to visitors, both pilots and policemen. We welcome people and have numerous visits from all types although we try and discourage potential customers of ours.

Maybe you caught W.Yorks at a bad time, they probably have loads of requests from all and sundry to see their new aircraft.

Vfrpilotpb
8th Jun 2001, 16:55
:)
H 500, what about the girls? :) :)

DOC.400
8th Jun 2001, 22:10
Had a superb talk t Brooklands a few years ago from Police unit at Fairoaks, including his own videos..........
Unfortunatley they don't do PR anymore due to job shortages. But he totally justified the expense.

muffin
8th Jun 2001, 23:22
I had a trip last year round Wilts and it was extremely friendly and very interesting. I was most impressed. I am sure most of the others are equally amenable if asked at the right time and in the right way.

By the way, is the local Police guy who keeps coming in overhead to take a close look at my landing site on this forum? If he is, please do come in for a cuppa!

My site location details are at http://www.foxfield.demon.co.uk

[This message has been edited by muffin (edited 09 June 2001).]

zardoz
9th Jun 2001, 14:50
Sad to hear about Steve Atherton's reception at the local Police unit, but is there anyone from West Yorks who reads this forum who could give their side of the story?
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but Police Air Support Units get a lot of complainants calling at the door, particularly from ones who move into the area and then complain about the operation.
Notwithstanding however, if the circumstances are as stated West Yorks should have taken the time to be more civil to the locals, it pays in the long run.

Rotor Nut
12th Jun 2001, 01:17
Interestingly enough, today I have just received a reply from the West Yorkshire Police Authority re my request for a visit to Carr Gate. They have invited me to contact Carr Gate and arrange a visit. Excellent news - I'll get in touch and hopefully I'll be able to take back what I said earlier. I'll keep you all posted....

FLIR
12th Jun 2001, 23:13
As a serving pilot with the West Yorks ASU I view with horror the attitude of some of the replies. I have been with the unit since Oct 93 and have NEVER known of this type of rebuff during any visit.
Steve A, I remember you from the AAC and think that you were an OK guy, but, if your message is right, your run-in was SEVEN years ago??? Pardon me for saying, but that realy is taking the bat and ball home!! I applaud your concern for safety and can assure you that we have to conform to perf A standards at all times, if you have a gripe about the approach path we use mail me and we can sort something out! You state that "Most other heli pilots have kept their distance". Do you know this as a fact? more fool them if they have, because we would be more than willing to greet them, please don't presume to speak for other pilots - they can do it themselves. Rotor Nut - well done with the letter to the police authority, things do move slowly sometimes - again mail me and we can talk.You are not an irritant and we are not elitist, just professionals trying to do a job. Marco thanks for being positive, we are very busy all the time, bookings for visits and talks are running into the back end of 2002!!!! we cater for visits every day of the week if need be. Contact the visits coordinator at carr gate for some dates etc, or mail me. I can honestly say that we pay the most attention to the rate - paying public Zardoz, but unfortunately there are a few people around who seem to think that our mission in life is to disturb them ( until they get burgled ). To finish I ask that anyone wishing to talk about police heli work ( any part ) mail me and we can talk like adults with a pint or two!! Nuff said.

MightyGem
12th Jun 2001, 23:28
FLIR, from your e-mail address I may know you.
EX 654, Detmold late 80s, had a brother at 3 Regt? Although I thought that you left earlier that 93.

Dave B

Hughes500
13th Jun 2001, 09:40
Vfrpilotpb, my apologies last time I was at D & C there were no girls either that or Tony and Jeff are very butch !!!

FLIR
13th Jun 2001, 17:33
Mighty Gem,
Yes that's me, had to ask for continuance of two years at the end of my 22 due to lack of available work - they sent me back to dear old detters until I received the offer of work from PAS bless them!! I was out of there like a rat up a drain pipe I can tell you!!! regards IanB.

Roofus
13th Jun 2001, 17:36
ASU's will almost certainly welcome visitors with open arms. But bear in mind that you need to phone in advance.
Please also bear in mind that personalities differ.... some people on my unit don't like visitors. They are a minority, but if you happen to phone on a day when they're there you'll get the wrong impression.
That said... 90% of us are always happy to meet people, give the full guided tour & swap stories over a cup of coffee.
I assure you that the pilots are not elitist. We are after all just pilots, earning a living doing what we love.
If you want a visit phone your local ASU...

wolfshaun
16th Jun 2001, 17:36
FLIR,

Did you fly PASX from Shoreham a few years ago? I was a paramedic with (E)Sussex Ambulance, worked with Jim C, John L, Mick S all from Lewes... all spoke very highly of you...

Shaun

Vfrpilotpb
20th Jun 2001, 11:50
Good Morning PPruners,
To add further, I have just had a visit to the Merseyside Heli Unit, firstly Thanks to Mighty Gem for the in depth explanation and tour around their facility, everybody there was extremely nice and I had a really pleasant time, a brilliant set up, Thank you very much chaps!
My Regards PR-B