PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Charts Up to Date

splatt
20th Oct 2005, 09:01
Hi all,

I am about to move on to the Nav section of my course, I have the latest chart available from the shops (ed. 31 for southern england) but this morning I took a look at the website mentioned on the frequency reference card and chart (www.caa.co.uk/dap) for a list of amendments since the publication of my chart.

I was quite surprised to see so many changes! I would like hear from anyone that has any advice on how best to annotate my new but out of date chart and frequency card, or just let me know if it is even necessary!

Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
20th Oct 2005, 09:10
For my money, buy a pack of multicoloured permanent felt tip pens (OHP/CD pens) and just do it straight onto the chart for the areas you need to worry about only. About the time the chart starts looking seriously scruffy from this, you'll need a new one anyhow.

Don't get carried away; anything more than 30 miles from your training airfield, or 10 miles off any planned route - just ignore it.

G

IO540
20th Oct 2005, 09:13
The trouble is that in the CAA case the "latest" is up to a year old.

No way around this, short of a Jeppesen electronic subscription and thas isn't a good solution for VFR flight.

dublinpilot
20th Oct 2005, 11:07
Choose which amendments are relevant to you.

That antenna that is marked as 350AGL but is actually only 300AGL can probably be skipped.

The aerodrome elevantion change from 350ft to 348ft can probably be ignored.

Likewise if you don't use the chart for frequencies, you can probably ignore frequency changes. (Probably best to change important ones though, or ones you are likely to use.)

When you start to get choosy, then there isn't really all that many that you need to amend.

dp

Kolibear
20th Oct 2005, 11:30
Its worth checking to see if your Flight Guide has any amendments too.

Phone numbers, holds, frequencies, runway headings etc can all change and catch out the unwary (like me!)