PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Canary islands?

rons22
18th Oct 2005, 21:42
cld someone tell me if its possible torent aircraft in Canary islands for PPL flying and costs if known?
Many thanks

aerobatic_dude
18th Oct 2005, 21:59
Hi,

I was asking a friend about this before. He said he rented a 172 for reasonable money from Lanzair on the island of Lanzarote. I'm sure if you search google you can find out more info.

tonyhalsall
19th Oct 2005, 11:12
As already stated there is/was a 172 available in Lanzarote.

I can also tell you that Aero Club Gran Canaria are based at a small strip just outside San Augustin (near the Go kart track) and you can also rent PA28-180's from there. It is directly on the extended centre line of LPA and LPA airspace starts at 1000' above it.

I lived in the Canary Islands for quite a while and during the very late 80's I had a Spanish rating added to my CAA PPL which allowed me to fly solo Spanish registered aircraft. I still had to do a couple of hours Club checkout and the Club strip was exclusively Spanish RT but it was worth it.

Having said that, there are not really a lot of places to fly GA in the Canaries aside from island to island and I know it is just a personal opinion but those water crossings just don't appeal to me at all.

I would say take an accompanied sight seeing flight, but solo rentals - with the complications of being checked out and the possibilities of anything other than a 'round the island' flight may make things a little complicated

Good luck

tony

rogerpenney
21st Oct 2005, 16:22
I flew from Tenerife North a few years ago, the name escapes me, its the one where the two 747s crashed on the runway. 2,000ft asl, very interesting weather there i must say. It was not expensive, certainly cheaper than home, went up with on of their instructors and circumnavigated the island of Tenerife, there's not much to see really, other than the Volcano it would be more interesting to go to the other islands and make a day out of it.

Sans Anoraque
21st Oct 2005, 16:28
Here's a thread from a while ago...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102141&highlight=lanzarote

Established Localiser
21st Oct 2005, 18:21
As previously said Gran Canaria is excellent.

Flown there and really enjoyed it.

Some pictures here

http://groups.msn.com/AerialPhotosHolidayPhotos/grancanaria.msnw

EL:cool: