PDA

View Full Version : AC Jazz

nohandsandfeet
18th Oct 2005, 20:52
The workopolis website states a minimum of 1000hrs pic.

My question is, are they willing to budge on that one?

Does anyone know of people with less then 4000hrs getting on
there, and if so what type of experience are they presently looking at?

KingAir
18th Oct 2005, 23:25
I'm not sure about the 1000 pic question but to answer your question about the 4000 hours, yes people are getting on with less than that. I got the call with 3300 tt and 2250 PIC. I know a few more guys (we're all from the same company) that got the call within the 3-4000 hour range. We all have time on either the Dash 7 or Dash 8 though. I have another buddy with around 4000 and BE20 time that just got the call for interview however. All of the above with >1000 PIC.

Obbie
18th Oct 2005, 23:41
The 1000 pic is a company minimum and they will not break it. Nor do they have to in the current market.

They need to know that you are going to be promotable when the time comes.

Neophyte
19th Oct 2005, 01:21
Greetings,

I don't know about the flexibility on the 1000 pic (but i would beleive what Obbie says).

I do know that they have interviewed people with less than 4000 and with no "over 12 500" time. I am sure the DHC 8 Rating helps though (even though if hired you are likely looking at FO on a CRJ.

Hope this helps,

Neo

Skirtboy
19th Oct 2005, 05:37
Obbie,

What does having 1000pic have to do with being promotable? :yuk:

Obbie
19th Oct 2005, 17:17
Plenty, just ask WestJet.

They have found that low time PIC hires did not handle the transition to command very well when their time came.

They now have a min PIC requirement as well.

On Glideslope
27th Oct 2005, 19:07
Do any of you know what the interview process is like for Jazz? Is it technical? If you have a DH8 PPC do they ask you limitations and systems questions?

If anyone has an idea, or if you have been through the interview process recently, I would like to hear your feed back.

Thanks

KingAir
28th Oct 2005, 05:00
Did my interview at the end of September. I have a DHC 8 PPC as well and no questions on the airplane. No tech questions during my interview. Interview was a "story-telling" type interview...tell me about a time this and that happened to you and what did you do about it plus all the usual questions like why do you want to work for Jazz, what do you know about Jazz, where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc. Pretty straight forward and relaxed atmosphere at the interview. My interview lasted about 45 minutes which was standard according to the panel but a friend of mine had his last only 30 minutes.

Don't sweat it. Good luck!

BusTie
30th Oct 2005, 17:53
ya don't sweat it.....

is only $34000 per year based in YYZ. oh ya let me remind you; there will be tax deduction from that.

Aviation in Canada....what a joke.

the funny part is that there are so calle "pilots" out here that are dreaming about this...

just for your information below is the salary from one of gulf airlines that looks at pilots the way they should be valued.

Single Status:

Net per month and Tax Free USD $ CND $
BASIC SALARY 4,502.16 3,848.00
Transport Allowance 124.80 106.67
Communication Allowance 40.56 34.67
Utility Allowance 65.52 56.00
Accommodation Allowance (see note below) 780.00 666.67
Sub Total 5,513.04 4,712.00
Plus Approx Duty Travel Allowance 1,404.00 1,200.00
Total 7,917.04 6,912.00

Married Status:

Net per month and Tax Free USD $ CND $
BASIC SALARY 4,502.16 3,848.00
Transport Allowance 124.80 106.67
Communication Allowance 40.56 34.67
Utility Allowance 149.76 128.00
Accommodation Allowance (see note below) 1,092.00 933.33
Wife Allowance 130.00 111.11
Child Allowance – per child up to four children 39.00 33.33
Sub Total 6,078.28 5,195.11
Plus Approx Duty Travel Allowance* 1,404.00 1,200.00
Total 8,482.28 7,395.11

Education Allowance:

For children from age 4-19 USD $ CND $
Primary day school at employment base 850 2,652.00 2,266.67
Primary day school away from employment base 850 2,652.00 2,266.67
Primary boarding school away from employment base 1350 4,212.00 3,600.00
Secondary day school at employment base 1660 5,179.20 4,426.67
Secondary day school away from employment base 1660 5,179.20 4,426.67
Secondary boarding school away from employment base 2700 8,424.00 7,200.00

Flying Allowances:

USD $ CND $
Duty Allowance: Per duty hour away from base 1.5 4.68 4.00
Call out Pay: Per call out plus a day in lieu 35 109.20 93.33
Per call out without a day in lieu 100 312.00 266.67
Overtime paid in excess of 75 block hours per calender month roster 20 per hour

OTHER BENEFITS:

Rostering
Average monthly flying hours 70 -90
Average annual flying hours 750

Leave entitlement
50 calendar days per annum inclusive of public holidays plus 2 days travelling time.

Leave tickets
One per annum will be provided to and from the place of recruitment for the Employee and his/her family, a second ticket will be provided within the xxxxx network. Confirmed Y class with F/J upgrade subject to space availability.

Income protection Insurance
Up to US$ 3000 per month for up to 5 years in the event that you are unable to work due to illness or injury. Pilots have the option to increase cover up to 85% of income or $25,000, which ever is less, by voluntary contributions.

Primary medical and dental Care
Provided for the Employee and his/her family at base. The Employee will be covered by the Company’s Medical Insurance scheme for any referral outside the Company clinic. If the Employee wishes to cover his/her family for external referral, the premium will be borne by the Employee

Indemnity
Calculated on the number of years the Employee has been employed by the Company, 15 days pay per year of service for the first 3 years and 1 month per year thereafter.

Travel concessions
Provided on the xxxxxx network for you and your immediate family after thee months of joining the Company. Unlimited ID90 and ID50 tickets, plus 6 ID 50 tickets for ‘friends and family’ per calendar year. Travel on other airlines after 6 months.

Full uniform
Is provided free of charge to the Employee with a 24 hour free laundry service at base.

and no taxes

in limbo
30th Oct 2005, 18:29
Sounds like the company I am starting at in feb.:O

brucelee
30th Oct 2005, 21:28
Bustie.
Just a quick question. Do they give you a divorce allowance at any time? See, to me, that would happen after about a year in the desert so I'd want an allowance for lawyers, shipping her home and of course 50 % of my assets. On the other hand I could just choose to come home with her and work for peanuts.
Does full uniform mean a hat too?

spencer101
30th Oct 2005, 21:45
Now that is what I signed up for when I started my flight training oh so many years ago.
It is just pathetic what we are being paid in Canada, although I don't see anyway of turning the tide back to our favour.

Although maybe a national "trade" union could help.

meaw
31st Oct 2005, 00:00
Bustie,

That's for flying a damm Dash-8 as Fo ! What the heck do you want 150k per year to fly a 37 pax turboprop in the right seat?

And that airline in the Gulf you talk about is for at least a 320 but most likely a widebody (Emirates or Ethihad)

brucelee
31st Oct 2005, 00:35
Actually there's dash 8 captains at Jazz making over $100k a year. That's about $80k U.S. ? The only desert they see is between YQR and YYC.:ok:

BusTie
31st Oct 2005, 10:25
"That's for flying a damm Dash-8 as Fo ! What the heck do you want 150k per year to fly a 37 pax turboprop in the right seat?"

very good point...

but here is the come back....ready? here it comes

Dash 7 and Dash 8 F/O with NAS starting with $4,200 USD tax free for base.

$70 USD perday per diem $2100
Housing . fully fur..
Medical for you and your family
two ticket to your home town twice a year and yes with your family
52 days off with pay per year
school for your kids
to and from airport x-portation

all of that to fly dash 8

come on guys, you have to accept it that only in our country a pilot is paid less than a tow truck driver. or even the flag girls by the road, they make 18 per hour.

get out of canada and see what kind of treatment and respect you get even with your 3 bars.

I rest.

DesertDawg
31st Oct 2005, 11:54
Cash is great for sure, but in my opinion it's all about lifestyle. I think one has to be away for sometime to really appreciate what our home and native land has to offer. Granted, some places in the Middle East are nice, some not so much. eg. Riyadh = :yuk: I'll be going home sooner than later, enshalla...

meaw
31st Oct 2005, 13:16
Bustie,

I totally agree with you that aviation in this country is screwed up when a plumber, flight attendant or baggage handler makes more than a pilot.I always said and still believe that the way to combat that problem is to have what construction trades have for example:you get your plumber's ticket......you're automatically part of the union.
Then the union set's the rates i.e PA31 Capt 40000$ per year.
B737 FO.......75000$ per year etc....New company that can't afford to pay the going rates for pilots.....too bad.

Young guy willing to pay to fly,pay for a ppc or fly for poverty wages......cant do it as you have to be a member of the union to have an ATPL.Same will apply for duty times, days off, etc...

Utopic?Of course, but not impossible.

Now back to the subject of that Dash8 in the desert.
Yes they show great numbers and conditions.I agree.

Now having personaly spent time out there I will try to exlain to you why they offer these conditions (hint: there's no free lunch....unless you eat out of the garbage)

1)Look at the map to see who your close neighbours are:
Iraq (war) Iran (!) Saudi Arabia etc....
2) in all these you are an infidel, hated and used as a necessary evil.....and in palces like Saudi you are a TARGET (but you make 4000$ US amonth.......woooohoooo)
3)You are going to have to re-learn how to live your life to fit in
4) go off the runway on landing or something like that you're going to the slammer
5) they can fire you at will for whatever reason and you have no recourse
6) you have no human rights
7)7 months a year it's so hot you can't go out
8)your wife will most likely hate it (unless it's Dubai)
9) you are very very far from your family and friends.

Anyway i'm forgeting stuff but I think it gives you an idea why you make better money over there.
I've been there ,have many friends that are still there and believe me.....when you are afraid for your safety,miss your family,your country,when the company changes your contract and you have no recourse,or you realise that you can actually drive to the closest war,it doesn't matter how big your account is.

You cant compare the M.E to Canada.Although we pay lots of taxes and etc...You still live in a country that has consistently ranked in the top to 5 to live in.
Compare our wages to the U.S or to Europe,adjust it for cost of living and then you can compare.

in limbo
31st Oct 2005, 16:31
I may be wrong on this but I believe Canada is the highest taxed G8 nation in the world. Paying tax on tax, it is insane!
Now I will also agree about the neighbours in the M.E. But there are some real westernized countries like Bahrain where it is real easy to fit in and you don't have to go to Iraq,Iran etc.
As for a necessary evil in there companies and countries?
Pilots in Canada are certainly a necessary evil for a company. Just look how we are treated.

meaw
31st Oct 2005, 17:24
In limbo,

When i say necessary evil, I agree we are nothing more at our airlines here but in the ME after you leave the airport you are still the necessary evil infidel, not just at work but in every aspect of your life there.

in limbo
31st Oct 2005, 17:48
Fair enough.;)
But to that end I am real tired of starting over and making less money as I get more experience.
I really don\'t think we in Canada will ever see starting salaries in the right seat in the 70- 80 range with good annual increases where they belong.
It is a sad state.:hmm:

hart744
1st Nov 2005, 00:22
Can someone tell me what the pension is at Jazz?

BusTie
2nd Nov 2005, 01:29
why you asking us?

call your local EI office.

Mtc.
7th Nov 2005, 19:08
And on and on it goes.... The old Rodney Dangerfield complex...

This is a quote from a CBC article...

"Travel used to be a rather elegant way to spend your day, and now it's ... just a really fast bus."

Now, what does that make the flight crew...

In all fairness, here is a link to the article, so you can see what drove the statement... Not as bad as it sounds...

www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/03/aircanada-food051103.html

shakazulu
5th Dec 2005, 04:00
Hey BusTie,
You talka my kinda language. I went overseas as soon as school got out, and never looked back. Its embarassing what WJ and Jazz pay their guys to start.
Did you have a type rating? What sort of mins is NAS looking for?
Any help would be most appreciated...
Muchos Gracias Amigo

flyboy519
5th Dec 2005, 04:43
Totally agree ... Thats why I left.

Is living in the sandbox for everyone .... Absolutely not. I struggled a long time between living in Canada and the allure of tax free money and a secure ( VERY secure flying job ). I went through two different Airline Bankruptcies in Canada and dont think I could have done another one.

If you can come to the Middle East with ' A Plan ' and stick to it, you can go home to retire quite comfortably. Hope to head back to Canada to retire in 15 years, buy a Pitts Special and fly only for fun.

Have fun

FB519

chockstarfish
5th Dec 2005, 09:27
Moved to the UK over a year ago, sick of no schedules, terrible pay, 3 weeks holidays.

In the UK now, employed starting salary 118 000 canadian right seat, 7 weeks holidays to start, medical dental, full roster stability, cant change by more than 2 hours... Company buy back your days off for 800 canadian, if you work over a midnight its 1600 canadian....

Best thing I ever did was leave aviation in Canada, even though I do miss the great white north..

csf

molly molly
5th Dec 2005, 13:39
Why would you even consider AC Jazz,

Poverty line pay,
High Canadian tax,
Very long time to move to main line,
Once at mainline 20 years to command
Chances of mainline going bamkrupt again within those 20 years, 100%

Try something else

bzh
6th Dec 2005, 12:13
Living in Canada close to friend and Familly, priceless....

BusTie
6th Dec 2005, 12:41
Living your life to the max................................. Once

bzh
6th Dec 2005, 15:45
for the pention info, contribution are 5% of income, and if you retire @ 60, you'll take home
max average salaryX2%X years of service
for 20 years you'll get 40% of your best 3 consecutive years

BusTie
6th Dec 2005, 18:29
40% of nothing = Nothing

It's all okay dud. Stay in Ooo Cana..daw land because I need someone to fly me back home on my 52 days with full pay holidays.

for your info: just my lost of license insurance here in the sandbox is over $250,000 USD.

Try to explain that to your EI officer when you get back on the street after giving a life with a major flag career in Canada.

Insurance in ME $250K USD
Insurance in Cad..... 40% of nothing (for 13 weeks)
Aviation out of Canada.......Priceless

KingAir
6th Dec 2005, 20:14
What do you want, a f&cking medal??? If you want to brag about how well you think you have it why don't you save it for the girls in the bars...they might give a sh*t...that's until they see that you are mostly eating it. :mad:

bzh
6th Dec 2005, 21:38
Current captain are leaving with just over 100$ makes they pension @ over 50K a year depending the years of service, add they CCP plus any personal investment they may have, they should be in the 80K . Not as bad as it sounds after all....If you work overseas, make sure that you are saving and investing in safe place for the days you come home.

By the way with Jazz we cross one, maybe 2 time zones, live your dream… I'm facing reality....

BusTie
7th Dec 2005, 03:48
Wow.....two time zones....

Do you do that with Dash 8-ER?

meaw
7th Dec 2005, 12:50
Time to command at Air Canada is 6 years on the last bid and with the results of the current bid it is said by the company that guys from furlough last year can hold command....so 4 years to command,not 20 as previously stated.

Bustie..........your loss of license coverage of 250k $ in the sandbox is a onetime payment....not as good as getting 60% of your pay until you are 60 like at AC....although enough to maybe get you through a few years without working.

c150driver
7th Dec 2005, 14:50
It's all okay dud. Stay in Ooo Cana..daw land because I need someone to fly me back home on my 52 days with full pay holidays.

Sounds like you have a really good thing going, Bustie...but who are you trying to convice...us or yourself?

aileron
7th Dec 2005, 23:18
chockstarfish,

ive been in the uk for 10 years now. glad youre enjoying it. i got out of Canada when my 'colleagues' started buying their own type ratings and flying for free. nice. cant compete with prostitution......and the taxes...yikes.

Canada might be a nice place to live, its sure not a nice place to work (as a pilot).

Cheers

First Choice Airways