PDA

View Full Version : Navion

Grob Driver
18th Oct 2005, 13:37
Hello

I just wondered why we don’t see any North American Navion’s here in the UK? Does anyone know if there are any about? I’ve done a bit of a search but I can’t find any information on any over here.

It looks like a very nice aircraft. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers GD

Chilli Monster
18th Oct 2005, 16:13
There's one based in the Channel Islands on the 'N' reg. That's the only one I've seen over here recently.

360BakTrak
18th Oct 2005, 16:34
You spotter Chilli! only joking........... ;)

G-APDK
19th Oct 2005, 08:12
There is a Navion B N3864 based at Earls Colne owned by Gordon Spooner (owner of Messenger G-AJWB). Gordon bought it as a wreck from Norwich and restored it over three year period. It made its first (post restoration) flight in May 2005. Gordon also bought a German registered Navion for spares and to help with the restoration which has now been scrapped. Finally Gordon has now bought a Navion A which he plans to bring over from the USA this winter.

Hope this helps

treadigraph
19th Oct 2005, 09:12
There used to be a Temco Twin Navion conversion, G-ARIT, on the UK register (and you called Chilli a spotter!), but so far as I can tell never a standard example. Strange, it's a nice aeroplane and a direct descendent of the Mustang too! Look forward to see ing Gordon Spooner's examples around the place.

Grob Driver
19th Oct 2005, 15:25
Thanks for all your help… I’ve looked up Gordon Spooner’s details on bt but there is no record of him. Does anyone happen to know his contact details (phone?) – If so, would you be willing to send me a pm with them in (obviously ask him first!)… Failing that, I’ll write him a letter!

Thank you once again.
GD

AC-DC
20th Oct 2005, 19:22
A year ago I saw one in Booker.

smarthawke
21st Oct 2005, 07:37
The one seen at Booker was probably Mr Spooner's example - his other one was in last week for avionics work. I think it might be living at Earls Colne. Nice bloke and nice plane, lots of mods, big engine etc.

ozplane
21st Oct 2005, 09:10
If you're really keen there is one for sale in the latest "Flyer" mag but as it's priced in Euros I guess it's in Europe somewhere. When I spoke to Gordon Spooner at North Weald he thought the long-term Kenya resident 5Y-KGH (?) might be for sale but we are now in to serious anorak territory. Have you tried to contact him via G-INFO on the CAA site which should have his details on the Messenger? As others have said he is very approachable and he loves talking about his aircraft.

TD&H
21st Oct 2005, 13:42
Grob Driver:

As Ozplane says, Gordon's a nice fellow. But it would help if you explained your motives. Are you trying to scrounge a flight?

I'm sure that some people who have already posted could put you in touch with Gordon, but are reluctant to say so without knowing your reasons.

Not being awkward, just expressing a feeling.

Drop him a line via his address on G-INFO, that might be your best bet.

Navion, sometimes called a poor man's Mustang. Gordon's is a lovely example, very high workmanship.

Cheers

Grob Driver
22nd Oct 2005, 22:25
Thanks everyone for keeping the info coming regarding the Navion.

TD&H… my intentions… I noticed last weekend that there was a French Navion for sale in GA Buyer Europe. It caught my eye, and the eye’s of the other members of the syndicate I’m currently in. Since then I’ve been trying to find some information about them, in particular some info about the airframe and operating costs. It’s possible to get some of this information from the Internet, but the best place is always to talk to someone who is actually running one. I know if you were to ask me what it cost our group to run the aircraft, it will vary considerable to what the book tells you it should cost! I’m not after scrounging a flight in one, although I would very much like to have a sit in one to ‘try it for size’.

Anyway, if I’m able to see a Navion in the flesh, and I like it as much as I think I will, then it would be nice to think that Gordon wont be the only Navion operator here in the UK!!!

As ozplane rights says, there is one for sale in this months Flyer too… that a different one to the one I originally saw in GA Buyer.

Thanks once again for your help… I’ll write to Gordon at his ‘G-INFO address’.

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Oct 2005, 06:26
Take a look at www.airbum.com and look under pilot reports and you'll see one on flying the Navion.

WeatherJinx
23rd Oct 2005, 11:16
I'd never heard of it before glancing at this thread just now...what a gorgeous looking aircraft! (http://www.navionsociety.org/) :ok:

TD&H
23rd Oct 2005, 15:10
Grob Driver:

Incoming pm!

cubflyer
23rd Oct 2005, 21:02
Ive flown a Navion a couple of times in the US a few years back, a friend has one.very comfortable, great visibility, nice handling, particularly for an aircraft with a yoke rather than a stick. Gets in and out of short fields and does nice basic aerobatics, loops and rolls from cruise speed I seem to remember. Lots of room. Probably not great on fuel economy as its quite heavy.
There is a big Navion owners club in the US and I think quite a lot of spares still available. My friend got brand new wings, must have been 15 years ago, they were still available in crates, but I think they are all gone now. He replaced his because of corrosion, so that might be something to look for.
I dont think there has ever been one on the UK register and certifcation will probably be very expensive or virtually impossible, so you would have to either keep it on the French register- or German, there are some there, or put it on the N reg.

G-APDK
24th Oct 2005, 07:40
The only Navion on the UK register was a Twin Navion G-ARIT. This was sold to Iceland in May 1965 and was destroyed in a crash on 3.7.65.

2006 will be the 60th of the Navion and to mark this anniversary may be one of the theme types for a Fly-In at EGSX in June.

Grob Driver - I will try to find Gordon Spooner's phone number for you