PDA

View Full Version : Reporting points

stellair
17th Oct 2005, 23:26
Chaps, good evening.

Couple of things. Firstly, I was on my way back from Ireland today, IFR at FL90. Earlier in the flight my standard fit GPS display frazzled before my eyes and my turboprop (F406) has no nav computer. I made this problem known to Shannon but for some reason each unit I was then handed over to didn't seem to be aware of my limited navigation capabilities and were issuing me reporting points to fly direct to. There, of course, was no problem in me telling each unit that I had no area nav and could only accept vectors or DCT to radio aids but is this normal or would it usually be the case that the next sectors controller would be made aware of this by my current unit? I must add it was busy which may account for it.

Secondly I have noticed on a few occasions both in the UK and all over Europe that some reporting points do not appear on my IFR charts. The Nav database for the GPS has them but no sign on the hard copy? In fact off the top of my head CHASE in uk Midlands is one of them. Is there a reason for this?

Cheers.
:ok:

clicker
17th Oct 2005, 23:54
Taking a guess here, as an ex-ops guy and no current charts in front of me, but I believe CHASE is an approach fix for EGBB and therefore not part of the enroute structure although appears on the STAR plates

18th Oct 2005, 08:39
Never be afraid to ask ATC for assistance...our job is to provide you with the best service possible. Tell us you're non-RNAV and request either a vector or track.
The Swanwick kit can give your range, bearing and ETA to just about anywhere from ENBR to EDDF to LFMN..... as well as intersections or even a point in the middle of nowhere. If you are cleared to a point you don't have on your chart, just say so....no big deal!
Modern ATC training methods coupled with the assumption that all aircraft have Star Trek flight decks sometimes lead to a less than perfect service delivery for the more modestly-equipped aircraft.
RGDS

stellair
18th Oct 2005, 10:42
Clicker, just checked that out and your correct, thanks.

055166k :ok: