PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for FI's

BongleBear
16th Oct 2005, 15:24
Hi all. Does anyone know the current situation with FI job's? I am looking to go through a course in January, and hope to come out mid-Feb with the rating. Then I'll be looking to get a job asap. Any ideas who might be recruiting, who the best to work for is, what pay to expect, what to do weather's unfavourable.... I'd prefer to work near Gatwick, but could really relocate anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions, BBear

Luke SkyToddler
16th Oct 2005, 20:07
Tayside Aviation is always looking, although it's not exactly close to Gatwick (and you don't get many hours in February), you won't find a faster way to fill your logbook in the summer :ok:

Recruitment ad on their website www.taysideaviation.co.uk

bestkeptsecret
19th Oct 2005, 16:42
I am considering a FI rating but was wondering what can one expect to earn as a new FI in the current climate, and how does it work, I hear some schools pay by the flying hour and some have other systems? Is there much difference regarding location?

Any help/advice would be appreciated! Cheers...

CAT3C AUTOLAND
19th Oct 2005, 20:09
Different schools have different policies on FI pay. Some get a fairly lucrative hourly rate, and no retainer, others get a retainer and not such a good hourly rate.

Being able to survive on FI wages (PPL instruction) will depend on your circumstances. If it is your only source of income and you have a mortgage and bills to pay you may struggle financially. On saying that, if you still live with your folks, or you have a partner who is willing to support you, it won't be a problem.

Instructing really is good fun, you will enjoy it. With winter approaching, you will most likely spend alot of time on the ground. You asked what you do? I try and make use of the time by getting students in the classroom, or simply just try and drink as much tea has humanly possible :D.

bestkeptsecret
19th Oct 2005, 22:43
Thanks for that CAT3C but without wishing to sound money grabbing, what would the expected pay rates/annual earnings?

I live with parents but have training loans to pay back (don't we all!) !!!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Oct 2005, 07:18
BKS,

Typically you can expect to earn between £10 - £15 per hour with approximately a £200-350 month retainer. Without a retainer, your hourly rate will most likely be higher.

I am in the same boat as you with regard to owing money. As I have said, if you want to get rich, then instructing (PPL instructing) will not do that for you. I left a well paid job to become an instructor, and even though I am not bringing home a guaranteed salary anymore, I know what I would rather be doing! However, we have to be realistic about our outgoings at the end of each month, which is one of the reasons I may have to go part time next year and get another job.

Hope this helps you.

bestkeptsecret
20th Oct 2005, 16:02
Thanks CAT3C, just need to find the £5k for the FIC now....

Mintflavour
21st Oct 2005, 08:04
Allow for 6K if I was you. I havent seen many 5K courses for a while then remember to add your test fee £200 a/c hire £100+ CAA fees (cant remember how much they stung me for that) on top of that.

other than that best flying course I have done so far and instructing is great fun. Still trying to win the lottery to do it full time.
all the best