PDA

View Full Version : On your own coin?

gotak
16th Oct 2005, 13:42
Hi Canucks!

A common question here but with a slight twist. I tired at the CX cadet program. Didn't make it to 2nd round. Can try again next year if i feel like it. Currently have a decent engineering job in Hong Kong desiging those bits and pieces you buy for your computer. At the same time have an offer for Masters of Electrical Engineering with the University of Saskatchewan. So I have a decision here to make which is quite difficult because I have way too many options.

I know i want to fly and I could either do that as a professional or privately. Either way I'll do it just have to decide which. So the options are as follows.

A) Stay in HK another year or 2 and try the Cathay Cadet thing until they either tell me to bugger off or I give up eventually.

B) Go back to Toronto find a job that pays and start getting my licences.

C) Go to Saskatchewan freeze my ass off for two winters then find a job somewhere that pays hopefully better then my BSc allows and hopefully be able to fund my training that much faster.

So there you go crazy and I have to decide before end of Monday cause the Prof at USask is wanting an answer soon.

The reason I have a problem deciding is that althought I really like to fly I don't know if I am cut out to fly bush for the time required to get to a regional or even AC. And being Asian I don't know how my family will react to such a career decision (I can just see my mom going: What? How can you ever be rich on such low wages?). Also I have glasses with quite heavy prescriptions the eye doctor say I have 20/20 after correction but you always wonder how employers are going to react. Seriously if it wasn't for glasses I would be with the forces and learning that way.

20driver
17th Oct 2005, 02:18
We should all be so lucky. 2 cents worth from someone with no credentials
Go to Saskawatch and do the masters
Keep applying to CX -if the boat comes in - dump the masters
Find a local flying club or partnership to keep up the hours
Go to Harv's in Manitoba to spend the NRC grant money on a CPL. Being creative is an part of the process.
20 driver

VTA
23rd Oct 2005, 01:29
Option 3 without a doubt...But with a twist...Get your Masters, get a well paid job..Period!!!! Oh, and give your head a shake about the flying thing while you're at it...

Safety Guy
23rd Oct 2005, 11:51
Nice positive response, VTA. Trying to improve your own chances by narrowing the competition? Lots of people are still realizing their dream in a successful flying career in Canada. And, there's more to life than money. The happiest people I know aren't rolling in dough. But, I sure know lots of miserable wealthy folks.

Canadian Beech
23rd Oct 2005, 19:06
'Don't confuse wealth with sucess'
;)