PDA

View Full Version : Which school in Lincolnshire.

Bahn-Jeaux
16th Oct 2005, 10:52
First of all this is my 1st post so hello to all out there.

I have had a trial lesson at one of the schools at Humberside (Kirmington) which has confirmed my lifelong desires to fly a plane.

I have a savings policy maturing in the new year which will enable me to get my PPL (hopefully) within a reasonable time scale.
(assuming I am up to scratch of course)

Having decided that I am definately going to do this, has anyone had any experience of the schools in this area. I have 4 at Humberside to choose from and one at Lincoln.

Humber Flying Club,
Soloflight,
Frank Morgan School of Flying,
Triple AAA (These seem more geared to professional training),

and at Wickenby
Lincoln Aviation.

I am not looking for the cheapest option but for the best tuition that will enable me to get my licence as quickly as possible.

I am no spring chicken (47) but still take to new tasks quickly although I realise that some instructors might prefer younger trainees as they have a steeper learning curve theoretically.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Shane.

niknak
16th Oct 2005, 18:41
Shane

Triple A concentrate on the professional side of things at Humberside.

There's not much to choose between the others in terms of quality of instruction or prices, but if I were doing all over again, the Humber Flying Club offer a very straight forward no - nonsense approach.
Like many other organisations, they employ full time and part time instructors, but the part timers seem to do it because they have a genuine enthusiasm for flying rather than earning a bit of cash on the side.

There's nothing wrong with Wickenby, but Humberside, despite being in the shadow of other bigger and more successful regional airports, offers you a diverse traffic environment at a "semi -proper airport", and that will equip you to fly almost anywhere.

Bahn-Jeaux
16th Oct 2005, 21:29
Thanks niknak.

I was leaning towards them after browsing the respective websites for each.

Also downloaded a list of approved schools from the CAA and Humber were on it but I couldnt find the others with a search (unless they have different trading names).

I did my trial flight with Humber and I was made to feel welcome straight from the off with a pre flight briefing and a pleasant chat before we were off.

I didnt mention who I did the flight with in the first post so I would hopefully get unbiased reports but i got the impression they were a good outfit with the setup they had.

Clients account for funds not administered by them so if all goes belly up, my money would be safe.

Thats the bit I like, it showed concern for trainees rathet than just grab your money and take your chance.

Cheers,
Shane

markflyer6580
17th Oct 2005, 19:41
I trained with soloflight,having looked at the other schools(and the state of some of the aircraft),I found the training excellent,also the instuctors,owner and other members make you feel very welcome.I chose solo also because I am on the full time modular route to an airline career and they were by far the most profesional outfit.They have been there for 27 years and are by far the busiest club on the airport, and like the previous reply said, it is nice to learn at a large field with full atc,I feel it helps with your radio skills and general flying as you have to get things right when there are holiday jets in the vicinity.pm me if you would like more info from me (recent ppl student I passed in aug 1st time with 50 hrs,if I am free we could go flying!!)