PDA

View Full Version : EGLL flight paths

2Blind2Fly
15th Oct 2005, 10:39
Morning all,

I live about 4 miles ESE of Heathrow.

Can I just ask what is the defining criteria for departures from Heathrow ? I take it wind plays a big part but is there anything like giving the poor buggers in Hounslow a break ?

Only reason I ask is that we have been here for a year now and I thoroughly enjoy the flyover's when runway 09 is in use ( at least I assume it is runway 09). It's like watching an aqaurium, 747's seem to ponder around while the 'little' 737's seem to dart all over.

However my other half is keen to have family parties when we are not on the flightpath.

Please excuse any ignorance on my part.

Many thanks

Jerricho
15th Oct 2005, 14:41
Runways 27L and 27R are deemed the preferential runways at Heathrow (although, that may change with T5 if BA have anything to say about it ;) ). You are correct in what you mention about the wind. Basically, once those runways start getting a 5 knot tail wind, the powers that be may very well start thinking about "Let's change ends" (there are a couple of other things including is the runway dry and what sort of crosswind is there).

TopBunk
15th Oct 2005, 15:50
Jerricho

I thought it was going to be 27R for landing and 09R for departures with T5:cool:

With, of course, a 1200m inset threshold on 27R to help the rollout/minimise further the taxi times to T5.;)

Jerricho
15th Oct 2005, 16:30
Sure it is TD.

It's really going to add new meaning to "getting one away in the gap". ;)

(Sorry 2Blind for the digression.)

TheOddOne
15th Oct 2005, 19:20
The problem with easterly departures from LHR is that it'll almost always be 09R so Hounslow cops the lot.

09L departures are as rare as Hen's Teeth, usually only 'cos the other side's blocked. This is all because of the Cranford Agreement (though in my time at Hounslow Municipal no-one could remember who had actually made this agreement!) not departing over the top of Cranford unless absolutely no alternative. There was also the Longford Agreement, but I think that was more about not disturbing ATC types enjoying a pint in the Peggy Bedford (long gone!)

So if you live in Hounslow, every time the weather's nice enough to sit outside in the summer, you're gonna get all the departures. We get all the late-night heavies over us on Easterlies - I suppose I'm not in a position to complain!

Cheers,
The Odd One

2Blind2Fly
16th Oct 2005, 09:56
Thanks everyone,

Guess I''ll just buy a scanner and holla at the missus when they change runway. :D

Like I say it don't bother me none, and we knew the airport was here when we bought the house.

Late night heavies, especially those old 747's, can be a bit noisy but then I don't complain when it is me on one of them going on holiday.

Once again, thanks.

Heatseeker
18th Oct 2005, 11:42
2B2F

At last an honest householder living near an airport. You are a rarity mate, we should have you stuffed and mounted so that NIMBY's can see what a real human being looks like.

H :ok:

2Blind2Fly
20th Oct 2005, 13:34
Well I do have a slight advantage in that many years ago I use to wake up to the noise of Tornado's and F111's screaming over the barrack block.

I remember the noise of a B52 at 500 feet going overhead during an USAFE ex back in the 80's.

Still bring's a smile :D

Only thing Im kinda sad about is I will not get to see Concord going over at low level. Apparently everything shook and no one could speak for about 5 minutes after it went by.

Awesome.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Oct 2005, 14:06
<<F111's screaming over the barrack block.>>

I can't remember if it was an F-111 or an A-10 that lit the sky up over Hounslow one night - much to the amusement of everyone in the tower but much to the extreme terror of everyone living underneath!! No chance of that nowadays..