PDA

View Full Version : NATS Interviews

benj1981
14th Oct 2005, 11:39
Hi,

I had my NATS interview and comptuer testing on Tuesday. Interviews seemed to go well but computer testing was not good!

Anyone know how long the take to get back to you?

VRB03KT CAVOK
18th Oct 2005, 12:18
I'm Just trying to think ahead about these computer tests.

Is it something similar to tests I've done before where you've got different coloured shapes and you are matching them depending on certain rules that appear on the screen. From memory there was something else happening on screen at the same time too...

Is that about the right description?

benj1981
18th Oct 2005, 12:36
Yes thats about right!

You have a shapes section and then a numbers section. You have to put them into the correct group. You then have the relative direction test where you have to say if the dot is to the left or right of the arrow and then its onto the crashing numbers!

The first test with the shapes and numbers was awful. The rest was okay!

VRB03KT CAVOK
18th Oct 2005, 14:04
So pretty much bugger all preparation possible for these computer tests. Just lots of interview preparation...

Interviews are the killers for me!

mr.777
18th Oct 2005, 20:28
dont worry too much about the interviews...pretty much everyone on here who has taken them came out feeling exactly the same,myself included,and most of us got through!! If your interviews went ok you're in with a fighting chance...
And yes,there is nothing you can do to prepare for them!!
Good luck and let us know how you got on,usualy takes about 2 weeks to find out

VRB03KT CAVOK
20th Oct 2005, 08:13
Thanks 777,

I found the questions you posted long ago when you were just a mere applicant too.

I'm trying to get my head around the UK Airspace so a couple questions for anyone willing to answer:

For Class E Airspace Do you require a Transponser and have a flightplan in the system?

What class are TMAs? are they the controlled airspace steps from the major aerodromes up to the corridors with uncontrolled airspace underneath them?

UK airspace is a little bit more complicated than Australian airspace!

benj1981
26th Oct 2005, 14:22
Bugger - failed!

They don't give feedback but I have asked which part I failed - bet it was the computer tests!!

Any advice?

261A
26th Oct 2005, 15:33
All you can do is try again!

mr.777
26th Oct 2005, 19:34
sorry to hear that but,yeah, TRY AGAIN!!!
took me two attempts and i know some people who didnt get it till the 3rd attempt. if its what you really want dont give up.
Good luck,

benj1981
27th Oct 2005, 08:25
I am going to reapply next year. Can I reapply a year from my initial application or from when I heard had failed?

Also found out I passed the computer tests and HR interview but didn't pass the technical interview. This is very strange because its the one I thought went the best! I think I was to easily led by the interviewers - I shall ask NATS.

Good luck everyone else!

classicwings
27th Oct 2005, 14:08
I am of the understanding you can reapply a year from the day you sat the selection tests - I just resubmitted my application a couple of days ago after not getting through the interviews.

Im curious to learn how you managed to find out how you'd done on the interviews- when I rang them back in March this year they said it was not their policy to give feedback anymore so I was left in the dark on that one!! Have they re-introduced giving feedback this since then?:confused:

benj1981
27th Oct 2005, 15:00
I just e-mailed them and asked which part of the 2nd stage I failed and they said the tech interview. In the e-mail they sent me they said they don't give feedback but I thought there would no harm in asking.

Might be worth sending them an e-mail and trying again.

Good luck!

Tinpot Radio
27th Oct 2005, 15:27
I sat the computer tests back in 2000 - I assume they are still the same, they certainly sound familiar but no mention of the freaky 2 handed keyboard gadget that I had to use back then.

I believe the computer tests are designed to get out of control and be all over the place towards the end of the test. The key is to show some level of ability at the beginning to show you have the basic coordination skills, OBEY the priotities (letting numbers bang for the sake of subtracting 2 digits from one another is very bad!). They know full well that the test is going to get too crazy for anyone to do well in the latter stages, but here they are measuring your persistence at the task no matter how badly you think it is going YOU MUST STICK AT IT!

This is probably the most important attribute of an ATCO. Giving up is not an option, no matter how bad things are at the time. This applies in NATS selection, in Bournemouth training and potentially every time you take over a position if and when you validate.

Couldn't think of a better job (well I could but this is not the right website to discuss it, and even if I did the moderator would delete it straight away!!!).

Good luck to all - stick at it!
Tinpot.

classicwings
2nd Nov 2005, 15:13
benj1981
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just e-mailed them and asked which part of the 2nd stage I failed and they said the tech interview. In the e-mail they sent me they said they don't give feedback but I thought there would no harm in asking.

Might be worth sending them an e-mail and trying again.

Good luck!

Benji1981

I email them on Friday but have not had any response yet re how i got on in my 1st interview. How long did it take you to get a reply from them? Did you email
[email protected] or was it someone spefically within HR you sent this request to? Maybe they think i am bombarding them too much at the mo as i have just resubmitted my application too!!

Thanx

benj1981
3rd Nov 2005, 09:05
I e-mailed them at the address you did. You may have to wait a few days.

Have you tried ringing them?

Good luck!

classicwings
3rd Nov 2005, 13:32
No, when I rang them back in April they were quite firm about not giving me any info of any discript, they just said it wasnt their policy to give feedback anymore. Mind maybe i didnt ask specifically which section i hadnt been sucessful on. Hopefully ill get a reply to the email soon. Failing that i may well put another call in!

Thanx!

Gonzo
3rd Nov 2005, 13:44
Mention the words 'Data Protection Act 1998' and see what happens.

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you by organisations. The act governs how organisations can use the personal information that they hold - including how they acquire, store, share or dispose of it.

Department of Constitutional Affairs (http://www.dca.gov.uk/foi/datprot.htm)

goodles
23rd Nov 2005, 19:21
Wish I had been as persistant as benj1981, I got told no feedback so left it there, fortunately the nice ATC already told me I had passed the tech part I used my powers of deduction and decided I crashed and burned at my HR part.
Too late now to get feedback interview next wednesday the 30th all advice greatly appreciated

Tweety
27th Nov 2005, 13:08
benj1981 so how did it go, have you heard from them yet?