PDA

View Full Version : How strict are you with SOP adherence?

Dockjock
13th Oct 2005, 20:17
How strict are you with F/O's regarding SOP adherence? I don't mean with "big stuff" like limitations obviously, but more little things like phraseology.

Things like, "Go ahead before takeoff checklist" is not particularly wrong, but its not right either (in my particular case). I of course want to strike a balance between high professional standards and not being an absolute d!ck to work with, nagging at every little thing.

scanscanscan
14th Oct 2005, 22:48
IMHO..Phraseology is a big one..when reviewed by the accident/incident investigation team/lawyers.
It is also very important when working with different nationalities and religions to prevent even more confusion.
A Middle East Arab manager once asked me... What does Shove your job where the sun dont shine mean in English?
Probably best to ask for what you require of the F/o...i.e. I think a "Before takeoff checklist" request sounds better on the CVR readout than..."Go ahead". (to where? give us a clue Cap?)

flying_elvis
2nd Nov 2005, 03:51
It's been my experience that the pilot's who show the most attention to detail get LOST in the details. Re-read for emphasis, please.

I've seen some pilot's put unimportant items on equal footing with important items. I'm convinced that they've deluded themselves into thinking that this somehow makes them a better pilot and more professional pilot.

It doesn't. A rapid loss of situational awareness is generally the result . I also see pilots who brief excessively in an attempt to substitute theory for experience.

Remember....just about any emergency can be solved with two simple steps.

1. Gear Down

2. Flaps 20

EVERYTHING else is extra credit.

Lose your S.A. on the Altar of strict SOP compliance and you'll soon be another mishap looking for a place to happen.

So if you're lucky enough to be flying with a pilot with real skills.

Watch and learn! Save your petty comments for your wife.

GlueBall
2nd Nov 2005, 05:07
It's most important to always use proper checklist terminology for 2 reasons:

1- To avoid having to "think" and having to mentaly "translate" the improper phrase or word(s). (Adds workload).

2- To avoid language confusion among multinational crewmembers.

ROSCO328
2nd Nov 2005, 09:25
Hi all,

From a personnal point of view I like Sops to be done by the book because as stated earlier not following them does add to the worked and invites that terrible split second feeling of uncertainty!! Dont get me wrong im not sitting on the edge of my seat waiting on the Captain doing or saying something wrong so I can look like a smart arse, that would be defeating the purpose of working as a team. What I do mind is sitting next to a guy who has developed his own Sops and im looking around wondering if i should just go back and help secure the cabin?? Thats when enough is enough :{

411A
4th Nov 2005, 03:09
Checklists.

To be followed of course, and if possible, the correct phrasiology should be used, so that everyone is on the same page of music.

Now, let's suppose that one Captain wants to operate just slightly differently.
For example, instead of starting all engines before taxi, start two (three engine aeroplane) then start the third during taxi.

Rationale...long taxi, and to save a bit of fuel.
Should the First Officer (and Flight Engineer) object, or go with the flow?

When I do this particular procedure, I ask the guys...'do you mind if we start the third during taxi?'
This keeps everyone on the same page, yet it is not specifically covered in the check list.

This is rather important, especially in multi-cultural FD's.

Also for Captains.
Don't knit pick the First Officer's flying.
If he is attempting to operate to SOP, it is suggested that you let him paint himself (potentially) into a corner from time to time, so that he learns from his mistakes.
How else will he?

Ignition Override
5th Nov 2005, 04:41
411A: good ideas, and the young ones will need that experience before they soon transition to a highly automated plane which then adds little to their enroute 'handling' experience.

Flying_Elvis. Yes, but in addition to stating "let's abort above (i.e.) 80 knots only for engine failures or reverser unlock lights etc", it might be good to add one or two things. For very low vis or ceiling, if we lose the AC Emer. bus on takeoff, the Captain's horizon is gone. The standby is always smaller and it would be awkward to blurt to the FO at 100' AGL, "take the plane!", as when your seat unlocks and slides back six inches as you watch the pitch angle of the nose.

Something which Captains never briefed when I was in the FO seat was what to do if an engine fire light came on at high speed during takeoff.
Now, it is not criticized in the simulator or real plane if we state "let's quickly cancel the (very loud) fire bell and if we have good N1, EGT and N2s on both engines, takeoff and take care of it in the air (above "EFCA").

If you lost a normal ac bus (crosstie lockout with DC bus also gone for a bit), you would lose the EPR gauge along with other secondary gauges, i.e. oil pressure, hydraulic pressure and quantity. Don't abort just because of a crazy or failed EPR gauge.

The primary abort items can be stated in less than ten seconds, and adding the engine fire bell takes just a few. Other than that, in most weather, can always finish by stating that it is best, with a heavy plane or any plane with a flap/slat (gear?) problem, to return for an ILS to the longest suitable runway (braking action and winds good?). Can quickly add, BIG Airport ### is nearby (MDW to ORD, DCA to IAD...LGA to JFK or EWR...) or an Air Force Base or Naval Air Station (Willow Grove open?) with a long runway (or less crosswind) can work.