PDA

View Full Version : The Snow Walker

fernytickles
12th Oct 2005, 23:20
Anyone seen this movie? Based on Farley Mowat's books, shot ooop north in the cold. Some great scenery and the extras on the DVD were fascinating, but failed to mention whose planes (Beaver and Norseman) were used.

ecnalubma
13th Oct 2005, 00:24
I saw that movie a year or so ago and thought that it was great. Can't actually believe that it was a Farley Mowat book (I know it was)as I have tried to read some of his works and found them boring with detail.

fernytickles
13th Oct 2005, 02:20
ecnalubma

Try The Dog Who Wouldn't Be.....I was laughing out loud at some of his anecdotes in that...

ecnalubma
13th Oct 2005, 03:39
Thanks, I am always on the hunt for a good read.

fernytickles
13th Oct 2005, 13:08
Have you read any of Tim Cahill's books? If you like travel writing, he's got a good sense of humour...

Pecked To Death By Ducks
Pass the Butterworms
etc, etc

ecnalubma
13th Oct 2005, 17:20
I have several authors that I enjoy and depending on my mood dictates who I will read. For a fast read Clive Cussler,Jack Higgins,John Grisham. For a little more intense read Robert Ludlum, James Clavell, Wilbor Smith.
Nothing like a good book and a glass of merlot, on the deck, in the sun.

sepia
13th Oct 2005, 22:57
You might want to try "and no birds sang" by farley mowat. Truly an amazing book.

le soixante neuf
14th Oct 2005, 00:25
Mrs. Burton read " The Dog Who Wouldn't Be" aloud to us in grade 5. Damn funny, I thought. Farley Mowat spins a good yarn, that's for sure, although any resemblance to the truth is entirely coincidental.

If you like Canadiana, try "The Bandy Papers" by Donald Jack. Very very funny stuff.

Mordecai Richler's " Solomon Gursky Was Here" will have you laughing out loud like a simpleton. I still chuckle to myself every time I pass through Utopia, Saskatchewan. You can have a drink there now, though.

Hunter S. Thompson will show you how the other half lives and hopefully get you to ask hard questions about the planet around you. The "Letters to Bill Clinton" series from Playboy was my favourite.

If your wondering what makes the locals tick anyplace that James Michener has written about, it will behoove you to read such works as " Hawaii" or "The Covenant" or "Caribbean".

Enjoy, 69

pigboat
14th Oct 2005, 02:13
If you like whodunnits, try the Lucas Davenport "Prey" novels by John Sandford. There's 14 or 15 in the series, set in Minniapolis/St. Paul. Another excellent series is the Hieronymous Bosch novels by Michael Connelly, set in LA.

If you want to see just how badly the Canadian justice system is screwed, try and find a copy of "Contempt Of Court" by Carsten Stroud. He's a reporter from Toronto who's also written a few whodunnits, notably "Sniper's Moon" and "Lizardskin."

They're out of print now but there are two books by Michael Magee, writing as Fred C. Dobbs, about the Trudeau years. The first is titled "The Golden Age Of BS" with the follow-up being "The Platinum Age Of BS." Try a good used book store or e-bay. Priceless. :ok:

There are some rather unique Canadian titles available from Great West Publishing about the early days of Canadian aviation. PM me and I'll give you a few titles if you like.

Trent Flyer
18th Oct 2005, 14:31
Good movie, I flew that Norseman for a summer, glad that particular situation didn't happen to me. The Norseman is C-FJIN, owned and operated by Chimo Airways in Red Lake, Ontario. Chimo's Chief Pilot Dave Robertson did all of the Norseman flying for the shoot.

pigboat
18th Oct 2005, 20:54
JIN used to be owned by Austin Airways originally, I believe. It was rebuilt for Labrador Mining and Exploration after they'd gotten rid of another Norseman, ECG. JIN crashed up north of Schefferville, and was then rebuilt again for the operator in Red Lake.
Another Norseman from Schefferville, now in Red Lake, is FQI. Phil Lariviere operated it for his hunting camp at Wedge Hills. After Phil sold out it was direlict for a few years, then sold to a parachute club down south of Quebec City. It went from there to Red Lake.

MD900 Explorer
3rd Nov 2005, 19:34
It was recommended to me by a Canadian chick (Non Pilot). I saw the film and i thought it was awseome. Fantastic scenery and nice to see some rotary action in it too. One of the best films ever made in my opinion. I went out and bought two copies, one for me and another for a friend of mine who flies planks. He loved it too.

Wonderful place Canada, but kinda deadly in its nature and geography.

Safe flying

Regards

MD