PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei MarkII (Merged).

THINALBERT
11th Oct 2005, 06:22
It seems V8RBK also had a fuel leak ex BWN BI083 yesterday and shut down an engine before returning to BWN. How many engine failures/shutdowns is that in the last few months? Where is the regulatory oversight on this issue? Reducing ETOPS approval times is obviously not improving the situation. Its akin to cancelling leave until morale improves.

Blacksheep
11th Oct 2005, 07:02
Very interesting to see the skinny one talking through his backside on matters of which he knows not. Makes one wonder about his true agenda.

DoverRover777
11th Oct 2005, 08:56
The previous CEO of Air Astana was quoted as saying, it’s a great little airline with great staff.

Interesting to see what happens now slasher F@$ter is CEO, with his contempt towards staff and in particular pilots. Will it continue to have great staff. Certainly things changed in Rba after he arrived. Fatigue and pay cuts ensured there’s little pride or goodwill in the airline now.

What sort of salary do they have at Air Astana, what ever it i, be rest assured f@$ter will squeeze it even more to achieve his bonus, then move on again once he’s destroyed the airline and its staffs morale and willingness to go the extra mile.

F@$ter has never been a clever manager, he can only cut salaries and contract conditions. No skill required for that.
He will last 2-3 years there before moving on and leaving the mess he created for someone else to sort out.

The cycle begins again.

THINALBERT
11th Oct 2005, 10:16
"Talking thru backside" BS? Insults dont achieve anything for anyone. Facts do. Check your PMs and you will see proof of every word I wrote.

In the absence of an acknowledgement to that effect I can of course post the technical content of the email on any public forum.

TA

fire wall
11th Oct 2005, 12:55
Fat Albert, caution.

A smart player knows when to throw in a hand.
The royal flush has been dealt and awaiting play and you ain't holding anything near a hand of value. Same goes for your playing partner.
Hot air is just that, hot air.

Hey , maybe you deserve your day in the light
Enough of the threats - just post your silver bullet on any forum of your choosing. Before you do such though perhaps you may consider using more than a BB gun and, preferably before the action, get your own house in order lest ancillary parties get caught in the crossfire.

Bus429
11th Oct 2005, 13:41
Gents,

This topic has been, up to now, a model of professional probity. Let's not descend to the levels demonstrated in other forum such as Cypriot Airliner...etc

(I think I'll apply to be a moderator!)

THINALBERT
11th Oct 2005, 15:38
Seconded Bus429. If I had any idea what firewall was talking about I would respond. Maybe he would like to send me a PM and explain. No silver bullet, just proof of my earlier statement which BS chose to dispute in a less than professional manner.

Time for the mods to get involved I think.

Rock The Boat
12th Oct 2005, 07:36
Royal Brunei Mk.I
25th June 2003 - 11th October 2005
441 Postings & 87413 Hits
RIP

With nobody to hold the rudder and several shots below the water line, there is still hope.

This once great airline will hopefully return to its former glory days, well almost.

The comments made on PPrune over the last few months have indeed brought to light some very serious issues.

I believe that they have also brought about some changes for the good.

Lets hope that we can still continue to have a professional and factual exchange of views.

tiredunfedup
12th Oct 2005, 10:18
Thats quite a number of posts and hits from such a small airline, with few staff, few ex staff, and few non related interested parties.

There have been several other threads on RBA that have faded into the past, one with 200 odd posts.

Why so many posts compared to much larger airlines.

Is it just whingers posting.

Its human nature to complain when things are wrong. who would be interested in reading post after post about a great airline where staff were happy and complementing everyone else, boring. Wouldnt we be envious of those staff though.

So many of the posts are negative.

Is that surprising. How often are you called into the office to be complemented on a job well done.

Yes pilot officer x, I have called you here today to thank you.
What for ?
Oh nothing in particular, just the 35 long haul trips youve completed this year without incident.

This is what is expected of you, nothing more to say. Give me a cash bonus anyway, not a pep talk.
People dont generally take time to put pen to paper to give everyone the warm fuzzies by patting each other on the back.

So if the managers were doing the same and everyone was contented, what would there be to say. Nothing, and any thread on RBA would be limited to rumors and news.

Sadly many are still waiting for that day. But its not too late if someone realised staff are the most important asset to a company.
There are rumours of new aircraft and with the departure of the CEO who was largely to blame for this, the time could be ripe for a change. Even if the rumours are just rumours as has happened in the past, now is still the time to take RBA back to its former glory.

Increase the pay scales, allowances, staff levels to where they should be. Bring back the pride staff felt working for RBA and the loss of staff to other airlines who benefit from their experience gained.

Will it help it to become profitable, well is it profitable now with all the pay cuts, fatigue of crews, ill feeling. There is no doubt, staffing levels in certain sections where safety is critical needs addressing, if staff cuts need to be made, look in other departments. If that is not an option, accept the losses of the past.

Its time to start a new game, we can either enjoy a game together, or management can continue to chase you around the court trying to hit you with the ball.

Rally for serve.

BANANASBANANAS
12th Oct 2005, 16:29
Reminds me of the conversation I once had with a manager.

Him. "Now come on, you play ball with us........"

Me. "Yes, and you will stick the bat up my @rse!"

That was the cue for 5 consecutive FRA patterns.

I hope times have changed and things do improve for those of you that remain. I joined RBA in '96 and for the first few years I thought I would happily remain there until aged 60. I am glad I left when I did and have no regrets whatsoever but I do hope things pick up for those that remain behind.

There is still a small nucleus of good people in RBA who deserve better but when I left there were also too many snouts in a very small trough.

Best of luck.

BlueEagle
13th Oct 2005, 11:55
I would ask you all, be you pilots, engineers, current employees or ex employees to be extra careful about posting events and then adding your comments as 'facts' before the full and accurate story is known, particularly when you may be in one department and the area of your criticism is in another department. If you are unhappy with your employer then it is all too easy to grab at any event, however insufficiently reported, and run with it just to make a point. If you haven't got your facts 100% correct and in order then you have lost your point, made a fool of yourself and lost all creditability.

Please think at least twice before you hit the 'Send' button!;)

Thanks,

BlueEagle.

slingsby
14th Oct 2005, 15:22
87000+ hits in just three days, must be busy:p

Thai Foon
16th Oct 2005, 05:51
With respect Blue Eagle, may I point out that even an accident report, years in the making, by either the CASA, FAA, CAA or whoever, can get it wrong.

We all know the warning written at the bottom of this page. Who is going to give us "the full and accurate story" before we can comment?

Forgive me if I disagree that just because you have (not yet) the full story you loose the point, make a fool of yourself and loose "all creditability"

More often than not it takes quite a few posts in order for the fuller picture to come out. On the whole the posts on this site have been "on target" and it is only the odd Wally who passes through who lowers the tone.

From the title, do you know what I mean?

Nasi Lemak
16th Oct 2005, 12:38
Well said, Tango Foxtrot. Surely the "full and accurate story" can only come from those who are directly involved. Let them speak freely! Preferably before anyone gets to them to "edit" the story.

THINALBERT
16th Oct 2005, 16:02
The full RBA story will only ever be told long after those whose guilt has caused its telling have ceased to be players. They each have their bolthole in Spain and the offshore account in the Caymen Islands to furnish their retirement plans. Worked for Rishworth? I am sure they are very grateful. Hired a car in Brunei? Thank you very much.

Nonetheless our respect should go to people such as JE who have stood alone with little public support to at least highlight the abuse, ineptitude and favouritism that was and remains a factor within an airline that should, and could still, be the best expat airline to work for in the world.

You know who you are, your time in the limelight is coming and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

With apologies to the decent guys still in the abode.

Blacksheep
17th Oct 2005, 02:58
With apologies to the decent guys still in the abode.Thanks for that TA.
Let them speak freely! Nice thought Nasi Lemak :hmm:

Current Affair
17th Oct 2005, 12:09
Tiredunfedup

You wondered why the senior pilot who was sacked had decided to bring the case to court in Brunei. Unlike many of us, he is lucky, it turns out that he has legal insurance, indeed he sold medical insurance as well.

I often ment to take out some sort of medical insurance as the company dont cover you at all. having said that they once did for $500 per person, but this allowance was removed along with many other cutbacks, without notice.

That I should now think that legal insurance is more important than medical insurance is to be sure a daming testimonial of Flight Operations managers.

BlueEagle
17th Oct 2005, 13:01
"full and accurate story" can only come from those who are directly involved. Let them speak freely"!

So we are in agreement then, let those that do actually know what they are talking about do the talking.

In case it was missed I said that individual posters should make sure that THEIR facts were 100% correct, not that they should be in possesion of 100% of the facts.

THINALBERT
17th Oct 2005, 18:18
I think we are all singing from the same hymn sheet here BE. Maybe a fact could be "I heard in the bar from a mate of a mate whose sister is the DFOs secretary that..........." which is in fact no more than a rumour which is what this board is all about isn't it?

The rumour can then be confirmed or denied in subsequent postings. Deliberate posting of inaccurate "facts" is quite another thing and anyone guilty of such a transgression deserves no quarter and should imho be barred from the board.

Thanks btw for a moderators job well done in difficult circumstances.

Sook Mi Oph
17th Oct 2005, 19:25
As I sit here in the bar with the estimed Borneo Wild Man, We wish to reply to SlimJim about your misinterpretation of facts. I happen to be a line captain for the past few years, I have no desire to operate in the fleet office. Further more we are both dismayed at the negative comments from former RBA staff who have unfortunately been denied training positions and left under their own circumstances.

As far as BWN comments, I am no way a suck up. It amazes me that if someone has a positive attiude about life they are straight away cast as a suck up.

Bwn please PM me if you have a problem with this.

Big Nuts
18th Oct 2005, 08:02
Back to the subject.....

No fuel leak, but it does seem that the good engine was shut down..........

After the last IFSD and the removal of 180mins ETOPS, we were only just inside the 0.05 threshold to keep 120mins, surely this incident must now take us past the point of loosing ETOPS altogether????

SlimJim47
18th Oct 2005, 22:18
I stand by what I say.

If you have been in RBA a while what is your view on the pay cuts over the last few years,., or the reduction to your signed contract conditions. Are you happy with your back to back Fra's and Lhr's. with 2 days off in between been as a line capt.
Are you not flying fatigued, as you must be one of a very few line capts who is not.

If you are so contented with RBA, then good for you, you will likely be happy in RBA until retirement.

As far as your username is concerned, and your original post, I stand by what I said. Many people may not have seen your original post on the 7 oct, only your edited post on the 8 Oct. please amend your post back to the original for everyone to see.

You identified Wings on the thread (incorrectly I believe)....not on... please identify yourself then.
We know who BWM is, not you.

Rock The Boat
24th Oct 2005, 03:28
RBA General Flight Operations Notice no 038/2003 issued by the Dir of Flight Ops 28/03/03 states "It is becoming common for some pilots to arrive at briefing for flying duties tired and deshevelled. The current schedules are demanding and often have only minimum rest periods; they are likey to remain so in the future."etc

In Feb/04 a Senior Captain was so fatigued he had cause to write to the DFM 767 (cc to various others) and among other issues wrote:
"The Company Operations Manual SOP section states that "The primary task of either pilot is to fly the aeroplane". Likewise the primary task of Management must also be to manage. While management positions may be seen by some as "good little earners" or a way of escaping current roster patterns, proper management nevertheless remains an onerous responsibility and duty that should remain foremost in the minds of all managers, ever aware that they are subject to rules laid down in Conventions, Orginisations, Safety Boards, AOC's, Directives, Certifications, Aviation Law and various others volumes. It is a requirement of any Flight Operations Department to always keep its airline on the right side of a safe operation, being aware of the grave consequences for failing to do so.

These responsibilities are usually only brought into focus when a Board of Enquiry is charged with looking into an accident. At that time it is imperative that a company or its officers avoid the charge of negligence; upon that word lies a company and/or an individual's future. If deemed negligent the Board of Enquiry has the power to fine or imprision or both. Each survivor or relative of a victim is also capable of bringing an individual suit upon anyone so deemed; instant loss of career, fined into poverty for life and/or possible imprisonment. The Flight Safety Foundation definition of safety ends with the warning that "safety is often unsung until it is absent".

It is now October of 2005. What may I ask has Flight Operations done to reduce the Fatigue on the 767 fleet and improve the lifestyle to improve the moral etc etc.? Nothing. The DFO has neglected his duties and has allowed the airlines standards to tumble.

So who cares?

The Board of Directors know little about aviation and safety. More importantly they should know how safety is achived or maintained. With the present levels of fatigue and chronic lack of experiance in the crews, RBA is heading for an accident. Action is required NOW.

Investigate why so many experianced pilots have left over the last few years. Ask the pilots, not the DFO and his 767 managers who are the cause of many of them leaving and who care not.

Borneo Blues
26th Oct 2005, 04:43
The latest Affidavit doing the rounds is really a confirmation of the behaviour emanating from the 767 Fleet Office for some time now.

Shame on you all.

Huge respect to those that struggle to bring change.

South Shore
30th Oct 2005, 04:14
Looking through the history of RBA in these posts, about a year ago RBA had 3 engine failures/shutdowns landing in Perth, Ujung Pandang and Karachi.

This was followed by an engine shutdown and diversion into Bangkok and couple of months ago 3 engine shutdowns on the same aircraft over the period of a few days. After this the CAA removed the 180 ETOPS

Now there seems to have been yet another engine shutdown, and some doubt if indeed it should have been shut down at all.

This is a very high % of failure for such a small fleet, and not in keeping with its reputation over the last few years. Big Nuts do you have more news, opinions or comment.

14U
31st Oct 2005, 01:16
I have read and re read the affidavit doing the rounds at the moment. It is a disgrace. Just when you think that the behaviour of the 767 fleet managers cant get worse, they lower the tone another rung.
For sure the BOD are going to hear about his lastest misconduct, and it begs the question, how long are they prepaired to suffer the humiliation that the Flight Operations Dept has brought upon the airline.
The fact that one of the Flight Ops Managers has recently attemted to seek employment elsewhere, can only give us reason for a little optimism.

Blacksheep
31st Oct 2005, 03:36
After this the CAA removed the 180 ETOPSI've already had a poke at a previous poster on this subject. If you don't know what you're talking about South Shore, silence is the best approach. Now go away and read up about ETOPS, then come back when you understand what counts as an IFSD and how ETOPS is actually managed.

Edited to remove direct reference to a specific individual.

THINALBERT
31st Oct 2005, 03:56
BS, I thought we had resolved this by PM. Is or is not RBA operating to 180 minutes ETOPS? I understand that RBK is the latest aog airplane, though not engine related. That must be affecting the schedule badly.

And can someone PM me the latest avidavit please.

Blacksheep
1st Nov 2005, 03:48
Sorry TA I was actually having a go at South Shore for once again raising the (irrelevant) subject of ETOPS and including an incorrect suggestion that the CAA (sic) had taken some sort of punitive action.

Before anyone raises this subject again, I submit the following:

ETOPS is used for operational reasons in order to more economically serve specific routes. Indeed, some routes can only be flown using ETOPS. Choosing to operate to any particular ETOPS rating is a thus financial decision, not an airworthiness decision. Without an operational need for the rating, an operator may voluntarily forego ETOPS altogether in order to avoid the expense of maintaining the required system reliability levels. This would be no reflection whatsoever upon that operator's airworthiness standards.

ETOPS is a reliability matter, managed through compliance with specific service bulletins and airworthiness directives. ETOPS is not restricted to engines but involves a comprehensive assessment of all relevant on-board systems. The process is monitored through a reliability programme overseen by a reliability committee, has little to do with 'airworthiness' as a concept and nothing at all to do with pilots' working conditions. An ETOPS rating is reduced to a lower rating by the reliability committee reporting to the regulator that the reliability of any relevant on-board system, including but not limited to the engines, has fallen below the predictor figure. The regulator will approve restoration of the rating to its former level once satisfied that the relevant reliability level has been restored.

As BlueEagle already warned, please be sure of your facts before posting specific allegations.

Dark Clouds
1st Nov 2005, 07:44
So the DFO, who is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of flight operations, recognized three years ago crews were arriving for flying duty ‘tired and disheveled’ = fatigued, largely as a result of the heavy rosters, AND they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Yet his management response to this serious problem was to issue a notice to all crew NOT to arrive for duty ‘tired and disheveled’, without any change to the crews roster patterns.
Problem solved.
However when a captain stood up to him, he was victimized and sacked.

I look forward to using this approach to my next sim when the flight attendants advise there is an uncontrollable fire in the cabin, rather than remedying the problem, or diverting to the nearest airfield, I will simply write a notice to the senior flight attendant. ‘You will extinguish the fire immediately’, I will have the senior manager responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft, the Captain, sign the notice, stamped with the authority of the company, and give it to the senior flight attendant. Problem solved. My responsibilities for the safe operation of the aircraft are complete.

Sims were never so easy, I’m sure I would get glowing reviews on my sim report.

THINALBERT
1st Nov 2005, 10:35
I have just seen an RBA 767 looking sorry for itself in Perth. Is that 2 out of 6 aog now?

Borneo Wild Man
2nd Nov 2005, 11:00
Gezzuz Dark what are you smoking Bro?
Maybe the DFOs letter related to some of the local lads out shopping/eating in Dubai then reporting with out rest for LHR/BWN or maybe the odd expat known to commute from OZ straight to a duty-wouldnt be you would it?

5 days off now-what to do lah!!!!!!!!!!

South Shore
2nd Nov 2005, 11:12
No need to have a go at me BS, and I have not read up on IFSD or ETOPS. I leave that to the well informed technical experts such as yourself.

My simple point was that a lot of RBA aircraft seem to be landing in unexpected places, and that your words "silence is the best approach" could be a thought to worry about. Granted I could have made a better title, hope the above is an improvement.

Your last post has given us all much valid information, and I thank you for that.

But who is "the reliability committee" and what did happen to V8-RBK and what are the present ETOPS limits for RBA, 180 or 120 mins?

14U
5th Nov 2005, 10:00
"ETOPS is not restricted to engines but involves a comprehensive assessment of all relevant ON BOARD-SYSTEMS"

May I ask if this includes Pilots? Due to the reduction in standards and the lack of experience in the crews, we have now had 2 recent occasions when engines have been shut down, when they should not have been.

In the last months we lost to SIN Cargo alone, directly or indirectly, a highly respected 767 Fleet Manager, 3 Senior Line Training Capt's, a highly respected Quality Officer and 2 maybe now 3 Line Capt's. Not to mention the numourous other departures to various other places within the last year.

Now it aint rocket sicence to know that when you are left with a top heavy workforce of inexpenienced crews rather than experenced crews, your incident and or accident rate is going to go UP, which is whats happening.

I hasten to add, its not the crews fault. They have been given the oppitunituy by RBA of becoming Capt's and FO's of 767's with experience levels that other airline would not accept.

THINALBERT
5th Nov 2005, 14:51
Just to avoid any confusion can you confirm that there is only one highly respected RBA 767 Fleet Manager joining SIN Cargo and his initials are DT. We wouldn't want SN getting ideas above his station would we.

14U
5th Nov 2005, 21:21
TA you are quite correct, the above described is indeed already employed by SIN Cargo.

The present 767 Fleet Manager, how shall we put this, who attracts somewhat less respect than his predecessor, and along with the DFO and DFM 767's are the subject of High Court action in Brunei.

I admire the Capt bringing the above case of victimization to court.

tibetan_twit
6th Nov 2005, 16:06
You must respect your managers you see. We might write our own rosters, pick and choose our trips and who we fly them with, and leave you oiks the crumbs from our table but you should be grateful for such crumbs - especially if you are approaching contract renewal - isnt it.

THINALBERT
8th Nov 2005, 15:45
Is there any news from the Brunei High court today. I believe that 3 very guilty parties are attempting to deflect the blame upon each other. So much for honour amongst thieves. Tw@ts the trio of you.

Rock The Boat
9th Nov 2005, 00:22
No doubt this Affidavit will be doing the rounds shortly. I got to know that there is still more evidence to be presented later.

RBA has still not presented ANY documents to support their defence.

wayan
9th Nov 2005, 07:12
Personally I am sick of the constant reference to the chronic lack of experience and dropping of standards........blah blah could not get jobs with other airlines due lack of relevant experience blah blah.
You people writing such things should remember that there are a lot of us here in the capital with half a brain and more than an ounce of professionalism.Stop venting your frustration at DFO's,DFM's and whoever else upset you into leaving or even worse, made you turn into a bitter individual without the cojones to leave.Your posts are doing nothing for a flagging morale.
Sure there has been alot of promotions of late, due to guys leaving for a variety of reasons (we are all leaving Brunei lets not forget...) but I am soooo sick of the posts that make it sound like it is a left seat free for all.Plenty of guys have not been able to make the transition.

It must of been nice to of started flying with 10,000 hours.

By the way, an open question to all you hairy chested steely eyed clutch cargo jawed legends...what is your definiton of an experienced pilot? Someone with less hours than yourself? Do tell.... 14U and Fat Albert...

THINALBERT
9th Nov 2005, 08:20
It is no crime to be inexperienced, whatever your definition of inexperience is. And there has been no criticism of an individual for being inexperienced that I know of. The criticism is directed at an airline management that has put people on command courses before they were ready. This as a result of driving away the core of experienced line captains that any airline needs to operate safely and successfully. When the inexperienced command trainees fail (as the previous post makes clear that some do) it is then another 2 base checks and a year before they can be considered for another go. This is not fair on the individual and a waste of valuable training time for the airline.

The results of this exodus of experience are now being seen as inexperienced crews fly older and older aircraft, with more and more ADDs, usually fatigued, and the number of (unnecessary) IFSDs has reached an unprecedented level. The ETOPS limit has been reduced to 120 minutes as a result.

BUT, that is not the (inexperienced) crews fault imho. The fault starts with the last CEO and permeates down to the present 767 DFM.:p

The previous posters comments about there being some people left in RBA with more than half a brain are not in dispute. But it is experience that RBA Flight Ops is short of right now and it has driven most of it away through management arrogance and stupidity. The real consequences of such managerial incompetence are only now beginning to surface.:yuk:

14U
9th Nov 2005, 10:33
I agree with TA but would add a couple of thoughts

I respect and admire the potential of some of the new pilots. But the fact remains that they are indeed inexperienced.

In that respect it is my humble opinion that you might well be able to pole the aircraft down the ILS with perfect results, but there is a lack of what when I was just as young was called "command experience"

Command experience cannot be taught, dispite the best efforts of CD. We cannot escape the fact that there is just too much inexperience in RBA.

Further, I have never judged a person on their hours of experience, only their character.

wayan
10th Nov 2005, 00:27
We are all big boys.. you get put on a Command Course and fail...bad luck.Generally its the individuals fault..although a few boys might say otherwise.RBA has always had a high turnover of Captains, its part of the reason why most of us are here or still here...its a good oppurtunity.

The DT's and the RE's are being replaced with 6000 hour Captains, some of which it is there first Command...so what?
If the guy is no good he will not get through the course,the training standards overall are good in RBA.
The biggest concern is these junior captains flying with some of the ex cadets with 700 hours.Luckily that is happening less due to rishworth and other factors.So the guys arrive here with not much previous jet experience.So what... he will have in five years.I would far rather fly with these guys coming up here with 5,6,7ooo hours....
Some of the older chaps with command experience( which you cannot teach, thanks for stating the obvious there 14U)
have failed commands.It's not a function of age.

I do agree that the lack of experience and quality in the office is a concern.These guys are responsible for our safety culture, and this is a real concern.Which should be the focus.

Stop painting me and the majority of the other boys ,as inexperienced pilots.Because its a load of old pork...

THINALBERT
10th Nov 2005, 03:24
Quote "The DT's and the RE's are being replaced with 6000 hour Captains, some of which it is there first Command...so what?
If the guy is no good he will not get through the course,the training standards overall are good in RBA." Unquote

The "so what" is that when the guy fails his command course there is an even more inexperienced FO waiting to be "given a go." Didn't one very brave FO recently decline a command course because he had the sense to realise himself that he wasn't ready for it - despite the willingness of RBA to let him "have a go?"

Eventually you will have direct entry commands (already looking I am told) and that will upset some FOs who see themselves being passed over as they realise that their shot at a course is not getting any closer.

This inexperience is already causing disruption to line operations and is responsible (at least in part) for the 120 mins ETOPS restriction. Add in low morale, ageing aeroplanes, fatigue, the open knowledge that more captains are working their notice (and even the dalai lama can see the writing on the wall - hell, he is responsible for most of it) and you have a real problem. Other captains have interviews before christmas, rosters are interfered with (prior to publication) by the fleet office and training dept so that noone else has any respite from fatigue. All the holes in the swiss cheese are starting to line up nicely don't you think? A lot of these problems have nothing to do with inexperience and could be sorted by a fair and competent management but it could be the final nail in the coffin if the situation continues as is.

If I was the FSO I would be very worried. Have you replaced the one that resigned recently?

Thai Foon
13th Nov 2005, 05:24
Wayan the safety culture & quality in the fleet office is indeed a worry.

There can be no justification as to the treatment and intimidation of both past and present pilots. If I had been the object of the correspondence being passed around I would have at least had the guts to resign my management post, personally I wouldnt be able to show my face at MCC again.

That not even an investigation takes place brings me to conclude that they are all in it together.

Having A Blast
15th Nov 2005, 23:30
Three managers, bound together by their collective misbehaviour, press on regardless bringing more bad publicity to our Airline.

They care not for the reputation of our Airline, not once will they have stopped to think of right or wrong in their victimization against various pilots.

Any professional pilot speaking up would have immediatly been intimidated by these managers, which is why so many have decided to leave.

It is they that are accountable, and an investigation should take place before yet more examples of their shameful management are exposed.

Rock The Boat
16th Nov 2005, 23:50
Some pilots on the 767 Fleet are exhausted. The rostered FRA patten in particular, is not rostered in an equatable manner. The Fleet Memo of 07th October is a scandel. Is a pilot to pack his house while on back to back FRA's with 2 days OFF in between?

The Brunei Directorate Of Civil Aviation should be made aware of the FATIGUE on the 767 Fleet.

This is a FLIGHT SAFETY ISSUE that is being ignored by the present DFO and the Boeing 767 Fleet Managers.

The recommendations of CAP 371 titled "The Avoidance Of Fatigue In Aircrew" should be applied and respected. In particular, attention and adherence is required to Section C, Annex E on page 3.

flyingtoothpick
17th Nov 2005, 02:42
Leave it out BOYs. There is enough sh!t flying around at the moment without bringing the DCA down on me, I mean us. What would a DCA audit prove apart from that I dont like going to FRA?

If you have a problem with the roster come and see me in person and we will discuss it at the back of the bike shed.

tiredunfedup
17th Nov 2005, 09:16
Also look at Section C, Annex E, Page 2 Roster Planning.

Rock The Boat
19th Nov 2005, 03:11
Ref CAP 371 - The Avoidance Of Fatigue In Aircrew.

Civil Aviation Documents show that "a company should ensure that the SPIRIT AND INTENT of CAP371 is complied with"

In addition Royal Brunei should adhere to the contents of the Company Operations Manual

In this the Rostering Controllers Responsibility is to (COM 1.3.22.1 f ) "Maintain adherence to the Flight Time Limitation Scheme." and to make sure that (COM 7.21.4.4) Pilots "Have an average of at least 8 days off in each consecutive 4 week period, averaged over three such periods"

The last company audit carried out over the period 12th June-03rd Sept 2005 found that a staggering 19 out of 106 pilots on the 767 Fleet did not achive the above requirments.

This is BEFORE you concider the endless roster changes and in the case of the BKK direct FRA the lack of in flight rest facilities, those provided would be concidered a joke by more responsible Airlines.

Complain, to who? The company Flight Safety Dept. It exists only in name to satisfy the regulatory requirements. Thats not to say the committed and professional Officers are not doing their duties, they are flying their butts off. They are given no time or support to carry out their important duties.

A visit to the Fleet Office will, like so many have found, make you a target. You will be advised that you "should go that extra mile" that you are failing to be "a team member" This is passive bulling, making pilots have an attitude of "pressonitis", something that you used to be taught in the simulator NEVER to do. It is DANGEROUS.

I do not wish to be in "Team Fatigue" I am already in "Team Inexperienced" Add the two together and we have a dangerous cocktail. The DCA should inspect the whole aspect of crewing, and the lack of experience.

THINALBERT
19th Nov 2005, 07:02
Rumours are reaching TA that you may not be getting the change(s) of personnel in the 767 fleet office that I know you were nearly all looking forward to.

If he/they stay you really need to get them promoted sideways if you are ever to move forward.

Rostering took a hit in the last post. Its not entirely their fault as they have only the crap trips left to roster after management and training have ring fenced all the decent (= min jet lag, max time off down route, best destinations, back to BWN in time for dinner at RBYC) trips. Everyone else gets to fight the jet lag at 0600 local at TOD for FRA on their third or fourth consecutive BKK/FRA pattern. Criminal.

I suppose its asking too much for the 767 FM/DFM to have the integrity to resign their management positions?

Back2Back
20th Nov 2005, 22:32
TA I think not. The vast majority of all messages about RBA point out the lack of safety culture, quality and integrity in the 767 office.

They were suckered into the DFO's plot to get rid of several Capts. No other RBA managers, past or present would have taken any part in the scurrilous activity that goes on.

Should they remain in RBA, all 3 will face a disciplinary inquiry. Most of us look forward to that, and to the resurgence of the RBAs pride when they have gone.

Circulating High Court documents record only some events, and one can only wonder the effects on RBAs image after reporting restrictions are lifted.

Symphony
21st Nov 2005, 03:33
You said it straight. There will be some squirming and backstabbing over this.

One of those 3 managers was recently interviewed by SQ Cargo, and he was successful in his application. This was subject to the obtaining of references.

Subsequently, SQ became aware of a relevent Brunei High Court Writ and his involvement, which became a topic at a SQ BOD meeting. The consequence of the meeting was that they did not wish to take the risk of a scandal and newspaper attention, resulting in a loss of revenue.

The succesful application was therefore retracted.

Will the BOD of Royal Brunei be having their own review?

The fact that so many ex RBA managers and senior pilots, in part driven away by the consequences of this same manager, must surely raise some questions.

shaftedwit
21st Nov 2005, 05:11
It is such a shame to see a once proud airline sink so low. I care not for the rights or wrongs of the various issues under discussion on this bulletin board. The fact of the matter is that if RBA had any leadership at all on the BOD, the 3 managers concerned would either be given an immediate and public vote of confidence or they would be suspended pending the outcome of an internal disciplinary hearing in accordance with the Ts&Cs of their employment. The current legal action will probably take years to resolve and RBA must take charge of its own destiny long before such a legal outcome is reached. Failure to do so will be fatal for the airline's morale, public standing and profitability.

The fact that a public vote of confidence or suspension has still not taken place adds more fuel to the fire that there really is something to hide and that RBA is devoid of quality leadership at all levels.

Time for the BOD to act decisively in the best interest of the airline I think.

flyingtoothpick
21st Nov 2005, 19:02
Well I aint fightened of a disciplinery hearing. I aint frightened of anything or anybody. Boy.:}

14U
27th Nov 2005, 05:21
The recent reminder from the Deputy Director of Flight Operations for the pilots to adhere to dress standards is all very well. He has a point, and the pilots will respond.

However, over the past months the standards of the 767 office have brought the company's name into disrepute.

Is it asking too much for the pilots to have a couple of managers that can bring some respect to the office that they hold?

Wings
1st Dec 2005, 09:38
One of my best friends, a pilot of 10+ years here and a Captain here for at least 6 of those years, resigned yesterday.

He's following the flight path of so many who have taken the BI 421 on the 1 hr 50 minute flight across the South China Sea.

And another old friend who left here about 6 years ago is returning to the fold after deciding that the grass is NOT greener on the other side. I'm glad he's back but I wonder if he is looking back at this place with rose tinted spectacles.

If what I was told is true, one Airbus F.O. resigned or is resigning in the next day or two.

And another Airbus F.O. will be resigning soon too.

I don't want ot be the last one out, but just in case I am, where is the light switch and how do I turn off the gas & water ?

So sad.

Cheers:sad:

14U
8th Dec 2005, 10:02
Don't turn out the light, others want to find the Exit as well.

To those few who return, a warm welcome, but I doubt its like you remember.

Sad it is.

South Shore
15th Dec 2005, 07:49
What news on the 777 that was so hot a while ago? Last i heard they were coming for the summer of 06.

MASsenger
16th Dec 2005, 05:10
All agree the B777 would be a better aircraft to suite RBAs needs. Unfortunately no one dares to make a firm commitment, incase he shoots himself in the foot. The issue as I understand, has gone up to the main man! Hang in there, we`ll know sooner or later.

14U
17th Dec 2005, 00:36
There was a rumour that Prince J was involved in the next development plan for RBA.

LHR staff told me that he had just fallen off his polo horse and needed hospital treatment, so I guess thats another set back.

Boney
23rd Dec 2005, 12:14
What about a fleet of say .....

3 B777

plus

6 B787

?????

Having A Blast
29th Dec 2005, 23:37
The lack of any more comment re fatigue on the 767 fleet does not mean that there has been some sudden improvment in the roster system.
Nothing has changed.
Even worse fatigued crews are now having to cope with unfamiliar winter weather.

THINALBERT
30th Dec 2005, 10:56
Friends in the abode inform TA that the 120 minutes ETOPS restriction is causing some fun and games on the Australia routes. When DRW is not ETOPS suitable ASP is nominated despite not meeting the criteria of Adequate or Suitable.

Comments from the abode?

Borneo Wild Man
30th Dec 2005, 13:11
Hey Thin,
120 or 180?????Cant always believe everything you read here now can you!

THINALBERT
30th Dec 2005, 15:06
Check your PMs BWM

Borneo Wild Man
31st Dec 2005, 09:18
Check your PMs Thin.
Boys are all of to the Gadong Pub to see the New Year in!!!!!!!!
Hopefully Blast wont fall asleep at the bar again.

14U
4th Jan 2006, 04:14
TA

When did the 767 Fleet Office ever worry about "Adequate or Suitable"

The shameful standards that they themselves set could not be judged to be either adequate or suitable for an International Flag Carrier.

shaftedwit
5th Jan 2006, 19:27
The fact that a public vote of confidence or suspension has still not taken place adds more fuel to the fire that there really is something to hide and that RBA is devoid of quality leadership at all levels.
Time for the BOD to act decisively in the best interest of the airline I think.

No surprise that nothing is happening then.

14U
7th Jan 2006, 06:05
No surprise at all.

The DFO will have told the BOD that his 767 fleet managers (2 of them anyway) are of the highest standard. He will of course make this comparison with his own standards, and this comparison will be woefully short of the integrity that we experienced under Trolly.

The BOD might be aware of the sharp decline in Flight Operations standards, but I doubt if they understand the grave consequences that could result from them.

shaftedwit
10th Jan 2006, 08:59
Such a shame. It was always going to be difficult for RBA to put its house in order because of the recidivist culture running thru the very managers that would be responsible for helping to promote such a recovery.

Now I hear that Air Asia will be commencing operations from BWN in April. If that is true I fear that both long and short haul load factors will plummet as the A319/320 loses passengers directly to Air Asia and Boeing long haul passengers (eg LHR) would rather fly BWN to SIN or KUL with Air Asia then to LHR with SIA or MAS rather than fly BWN/DXB/LHR with RBA. As for FRA, there is no comparison. 12+ hours on a 767 from BKK to FRA with RBA or 11 hours in a B744 or A340 with SIA or MAS with free drinks, room to move around, bogs that dont back up after 8 hours, IFE that works and has 100s of channels and you are guaranteed NOT to have to route via SHJ in the fall/winter.

You need to get your PR team into overdrive and work hard behind the scenes to come up with a credible business plan. This post is not meant to be a cheap shot at an airline in decline, rather some genuine concern for what was once a great place to work and which still could be if the right management personalities could be brought in - (or enticed back) and the current crop of failures (with one or two exceptions) were shown the door.

On the other hand, you could carry on as you are and just keep your fingers crossed but its not much of a corporate plan is it? It would help if the RBA decision maker(s) could accept that BWN is not the center of the universe and that to compete in a global market place your company MUST adopt global business values. If you can't do that, then any other efforts will be futile.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Iso
10th Jan 2006, 09:07
But there is talk of the "New" Borneo airlines starting shortly. Could there be stealth and deception going on behind the scenes that you guys don't know about???

shaftedwit
10th Jan 2006, 09:27
Stealth and deception has been practised within RBA management since 1974 but never for the benefit of the airline - only for the benefit of a select few.

flyingtoothpick
12th Jan 2006, 16:13
Whats Stelth mean?:}

Diddent he used to work on the Airbus Fleet?

shaftedwit
14th Jan 2006, 05:29
:)

toothpick, you are funny but please realise that by descending into micky taking of one of the "accused" you are diluting the importance of the genuine and serious issues been discussed on this thread and I would ask you to refrain from such comments in future.

But it is funny.

14U
14th Jan 2006, 05:29
It will not have gone unnoticed by Air Asia, that if passengers are willing to find their own way to Miri, Labuan or KK, just to catch a flight to KL, there must be lots of interest in BWN KUL direct.

Trouble is that RBA controls the check in desks at the airport, not the DCA.

Change is in the air, for the better.

THINALBERT
14th Jan 2006, 10:35
It seems every time I go to PER I see a crook RBA 767 on the ramp. This time it is V8 RBK. What are you guys doing to them?

wayan
26th Jan 2006, 04:51
Fleet manager operating an illegal flight after a weather disrupt in the Middle East!Backed up by rostering and telling pork pies to hide indiscretion.
Pressure on crews to do the same by said Manager(visions of an episode of Fawlty Towers, with Manuel being taught English by his MANAHER)
How long before the brown stuff hits the fan?

haughtney1
26th Jan 2006, 21:32
So from reading this thread is it as bad as it seems? (im currently flyin 757/767 for a UK charter airline) and I was considering Brunei as its a lot closer to home, any thoughts anyone?

shaftedwit
27th Jan 2006, 05:02
About 25% of the Boeing Captains have resigned and left for greener pastures in the last year or so. Most have gone to SIA Cargo. Even the Boeing Fleet Manager who regards Flight Time Limitations as a guide to be interpreted by him as he sees fit has applied to other airlines. He failed in his applications where the people that he had previously managed succeeded. Is it not a little hypocritical of him to hold onto a position of management in a company that he has demonstrated such a desire to leave.

In the last year or so, from a pool of about 50 Captains, the following senior captains have resigned that I know of.

1 B767 Fleet manager
1 Flight Safety Officer
2 Quality Assurance Officers
3 Senior Line Trainers (one of which was a local and destined to be Chief Pilot).
3 senior line Captains.

At least 2 other Captains have been turned down by other airlines and there are 5 active applications from current RBA Captains in my present company. One local FO has already left and another is on the way with more to follow.

In the same time period there has been very little disruption to the Airbus Fleet. The reason is very simple.

Management

One way or another the 767 days are numbered in Brunei. They all need MLG changes in 2006 and there is allegedly no money to carry out the work.

Steer well clear. There are far better opportunities in SE Asia if you look around.

Tune Me In
28th Jan 2006, 03:13
So whats new. This manager has done more to lower the respectability of the 767 fleet than anyone else. Wonder who the FO was and if he knew, silly really, he would have bragged about it.

I cringe with embarrassment at the never ending stream of innuendos that he makes about people. He seems to have no shame.

No wonder SQ cargo retracted their offer of employment, those there will have bent a few ears.

shaftedwit
28th Jan 2006, 05:06
These figures were passed to me by someone in the abode. Are they accurate?

BI098 DXB to BWN

Scheduled Flight Time = 8.00 hours
Report Time = STD - 1 hour
Rostered Flying Duty Period = 9.00 hours.

Allowed Duty Period = 9hours 45 minutes.
Max Possible Discretion = 3 hours

Flight Delayed by 6 hours and 40 minutes after the crew had reported for duty and no rest facilities at airport or airplane. Crew still operated the flight.

Actual Duty Period 15 hours and 40 minutes.

Max Allowed Duty Period including 3 hours discretion = 12 hours 45 minutes.

Didnt the DFM publish an FON recently stating that discretion was not to be taken lightly and that only in cases of life threatening emergency could it be extended by more than 3 hours.

Interesting.

Tidan De Sheveld
28th Jan 2006, 12:08
For Shatftedwit,14U,Bananasbananas,thin albert,tune me in all one person, maybe two people both ex quality managment RBA, give it up.

No one cares, stay in Singapore. Find something to complain about there.

They won't want you in the training department either.

shaftedwit
28th Jan 2006, 12:27
Check your PMs mate.

RBK AOG in the hangar again today. Cant blame that on TA or TMI or BB.

So, is the story true or not?

14U
29th Jan 2006, 04:12
Jury still out on this one but Ill will be having a good sniff around soon as im back.

No comment TDS, other forums are full of slagging matches and i dont want to play. News is news, and on this forum its topdraw stuff.

Im sick of being cc'd 10X every time he sends me mail. There are plenty of good honest folk to do the job, and the sooner he's replaced the better.

wayan
31st Jan 2006, 07:34
Shafted,

It looks like there is more than one flight operated illeaglly then you see.
I was referring to the X-Mas debacle ex Dubai when , you see, someone operated the disrupted service to Heathrow after having already done a full standby duty, you see.Bigger issue was the lovely lady(?) in long term rostering telling halal porkies to crew enquiring about the legality of it all.
Big halal porkies! Frankfurt sausage size actually, very powerful.
You see, when people start telling halal porkies, you see, its very bad, actually! ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE IN CAHOOTS WITH THE BLOODY MANAGEMENT.You see........

simmy
3rd Feb 2006, 09:17
These figures were passed to me by someone in the abode. Are they accurate?
BI098 DXB to BWN
Scheduled Flight Time = 8.00 hours
Report Time = STD - 1 hour
Rostered Flying Duty Period = 9.00 hours.
Allowed Duty Period = 9hours 45 minutes.
Max Possible Discretion = 3 hours
Flight Delayed by 6 hours and 40 minutes after the crew had reported for duty and no rest facilities at airport or airplane. Crew still operated the flight.
Actual Duty Period 15 hours and 40 minutes.
Max Allowed Duty Period including 3 hours discretion = 12 hours 45 minutes.
Didnt the DFM publish an FON recently stating that discretion was not to be taken lightly and that only in cases of life threatening emergency could it be extended by more than 3 hours.
Interesting.
Many years ago I saved RBA a big bill and much embarrassment by re-positioning the flight from BHX to LHR after an early morning diversion there. My paper work was wrong - done immediately after landing at LHR (big mistake) - and when it was corrected by the then small brained Fleet Manager, he sent an express bollocking to me, received just as I was pushing back at LHR for the return flight. My paper work showed I had entered discretion by 1 hour 50 minutes. In fact I had actually been 3 hours into discretion. Now that is legal but my manager criticised me for NEARLY bringing the Airline into disrepute! This was my only little error in 10 years with the airline and you all know the thanks I got. A regular pay cheque!
What else is there? A knighthood? I've got a packet of those but I'm too old to use them.:O

14U
5th Feb 2006, 20:28
Several pilots have confirmed that the manager did do his SBY and then operated the flight. And no he was not resting or got rest as he was trying to get others to do the flight

So I guess will never get the guys "real" roster as Short term are tight lipped on this one.

the sleuth
6th Feb 2006, 08:38
was having beer with one capatin who left there last year.
he tells story about sim recurent where FO go 50 miles from takeoff place and still be 4000' below mora...then overrun landing....then crash on engine failure excercise...then do again but with help from check pilot...then get B+ and now he go command course
I very glad I stay here not go work there...it must be not a good place i think.

rumourmill123
6th Feb 2006, 12:41
The rumour for today is that there will be 2 senior appointments announced in Flight Ops shortly. Both will be external and come from UK. One is ex RBA, the other is ex Chief Pilot of a BA subsidiary.

Are they coming to plug gaps or to replace non performers?

14U
8th Feb 2006, 19:48
Ex Cheif Pilot form GB Airways, nice chap.

The Ex RBA was a Fleet Manager and went to Easy, I am told was very capable.

Um, don't we need one more?

Castor UC
13th Feb 2006, 06:50
Or has it sunk to it true worth for all eternity.

Is anyone planning on staying any longer than they have to at RBA now days.
Gone are the days people went to RBA and thought, Ill just stay a few years, then retire at RBA many years later.

The rosters have not improved, and probably never will. Crews are still operating permanently tired, and even fatigued. I notice on another thread here about a USA based carrier requiring 3 crew if the flight time is over 8 hours. RBA crews operate 8 h 50 min flights Bwn – Dxb, Bwn-Shj on a daily basis. Arrive at the hotel 2-4am, then that night operate on to Europe.
On return to Bwn, 2 days off then off again.
Bwn-Dxb-position to Fra, 19 hours from sign on in Bwn to arrival at the hotel in Fra. the next day 12 hour flight Fra-Bkk then position Bwn, 17.5 hours, 2 days off, then away again. They obviously have not read the best practices section of the Flight Duty Time Limitations, or have chosen to ignore them.
You cannot expect airlines of the caliber of RBA not to operate to these standards, perhaps more accountability should be targeted at the authorities to allow airlines to operate to these standards.
RBAs passengers must fell very comforted in the fact their lives are in the hands of such hard working yet undermined crews.
This is made worse by certain selfish individuals taking the trips with days off away, leaving the line pilots to do more of the tiring trips.

The pilots are controlled by the Rostering Woman. Unbelievable rosters, or roster changes are given, paxing duties after a duty, minimum rest then operate again, flights changed to go well into discretion, some were even manipulated to appear not to go into discretion, when in all reality 80% did. Yet when the Captain questions the changes, or says he will not go into Captains discretion, he receives a telephone call from the Rostering Woman saying he can do it, because she says he can, or ‘Its company policy for you to do it’. Or the DFO has told you to do it. Disregard the heavy rosters you have been doing for the last few months, years, Captains discretion is just RBAs standard and expected extension to the FTLs, and you can expect grief and harassment if you do not.

The pilots get no back up from Flight ops, in fact they’re in behind the Rostering Woman. Amazing to see an airline where the Captains authority is superseded by everyone, including the Rostering Woman.

Fatigue of its crews has been ignored by flight ops for years now. The attitude of ‘If you don’t like it f@#k off’ still continues. Even 6 month captains are saying ‘I just want to get out’. This is fine with management, they can be replaced by new keen guys eager to get their first jet job.

Are RBA seriously looking for long term stability of its pilots, how can it when pay increments were chopped several years ago. Expect to be on first years Captains pay for the rest of your career with RBA.

Company ops manuals are now only issued on a 50 cent Cd. If you want a manual you must print it and pay for it yourself. What a sad airline indeed.

Standby days are continually roster in the middle of days of to mess up any chance of organizing time away, if your called out on the standby, you are expected to go, working on your day off the next day. Don’t make plans on your rostered days off, they’re meaningless.

Generally I've heard the majority are very unhappy and are just waiting for their opportunity to get out. There are a couple that seem happy and have shot down anyone complaining here on PPrune, but they are few, and their usernames are well known to everyone, including management. I see promotions in the future. Perhaps time at home with their families is not a priority for them.

Thai Foon
16th Feb 2006, 21:22
Way back some post said they were cowboys and I now see the light. Even worse. Its going to hit the fan big time.

Wings
24th Feb 2006, 00:26
It's interesting to see the evolution of the RBA pilot over the last decade.

In the early 1990s I saw a new First Officer re define the company uniform tie. Instead of wearing the company issure tie around his neck, he started wearing a Shoestring Tie (think Colonel Sanders KFC) with a big cowboy belt buckle, until the DFO had words with him.
I have recently seen that very same First Officer (not an F.O. now) berate a Captain coming off a long haul for having his hair over his collar.
One might argue this is jealousy, or perhaps he was just re acquainting the Captain with the Ops Manual regs.

I have read in this thread on PPrune of many pilots complaining about being bludgeoned into flying in excess of their Ops Manual limits.

Yet I have also seen recently a Line Captain (definately NOT one of the 'Favoured Few') who has been here longer than me, be given a roster change - he was having his only long Sydney in 6 months taken away for 'Training'.
He just turned around and said flatly
"No. I am not accepting this. Training can fly to somewhere else in Australia that day."
Rostering just said "O.K." and the Captain kept his Sydney.

This badgering of pilots to fly either too long or too much has been happening for the last 6 or 7 years I guess. In that time the 'Old Timers' who knew the Ops Manual and were prepared to stand up and say things like

"I consider that what you are trying to roster me to fly is in breach of Flight Duty Limitations. I will only do this flight if you Fax (not e mail) me an instruction to do it complete with an assurance that it is fully in compliance with Flight Time Duty Limitations. The fax must have your fully legible name and signature on it. I will then pass it to the C.A.A."

Have given way to new guys who are too new in the left seat, or too uncertain of the regs to make such a stance.

By making a statement like the one above, you give the clear message that

1. You know it's wrong
2. They know it's wrong
3. You will report it
4. They will have to take reponsibility for it.

My point is this. Too many people whinge with valid reason, BUT because they don't know, aren't sure, can't be bothered checking the Ops Manual Flt Time Duty Limits, they won't stand up and say "No. That's wrong".

Guys (and soon, Ladies), you are Captains, Senior First Officers and First Officers.
You are trained to know your aircraft.
You are trained to recognise if something is going wrong on your aircraft.
You are also trained to do something about it.

That's your job.
Your life depends on it (oh, and the lives of the back seaters as well)

Perhaps
You should know your Ops Manual
You should know if something with respect to the Ops Manual is wrong
You should do something about it

How many times in the CRM courses have you been told that
"all it needed was one person to stop and challenge the situation and the accident would never have happened."

Perhaps you should study the Ops Manual and even CAP 371
and if you see something wrong challenge it in writing - not just over a beer in Limbang / Dubai / Bangkok / Frankfurt / ...

I am on the Airbus now, so I don't suffer jet lag like you guys do anymore.
But I sat in the seats you occupy for 10 years and do know where you are coming from.
I have also sat in the seat in the Fleet Managers Office in front of several DFMs and FMs. I have sat in front of 'The Rostering Woman' the C.P. and the DFO at different occasions over the last too many years.
And I have argued my case many times and made it clear that I know the Ops Manual chapter 7 and recognise Management B.S. and won't give it the time of day.
As a general rule, the people I have sat opposite have "tried it on" but haven't tried to push an unwinnable position.
And despite numerous threats of sacking, contracts not being renewed etc,
I'm still here, because at the moment, I want to be here.

Stand up and be counted
Or
Sit down. shut up, and get on with it.

Cheers

dalai_lama767
25th Feb 2006, 04:57
Wings does have a point.

Someone far more savvy than I opines that a country gets the government it deserves.

Does the same apply to RBA Flight Ops and its managers?:ouch:

rumourmill123
27th Feb 2006, 08:14
Wings may have a point but it does not excuse Flight Ops management abusing their positions just because they think they can get away with it.

Lets not kid ourselves. The abuse has always been here. In the good old days it didnt matter so much as there were still plenty of good trips to go around and Foxy was smart enough to realise that. Does anyone remember the family holiday roster to AUH? 7 days away for a quick AUH JED AUH shuttle. There was also a fair amount of OFF days or SBY days and the opportunity to be with your family and recover from the jetlag. Remember, the 767 used to do short/long haul mix which also improved the quality of life.

The lifestyle changes caused by the new type of 767 operation have not been considered at all by management who have held on to all of their old perks and passed on all the new crap to a few line crews.

By the time management and training have cherry picked all the good trips there is only the knackering, multi time zone change trips left. And because they are really unpopular trips, you can only have 2-3 days OFF in the abode before repeating the trip or something just as bad. All this so that the self appointed chosen few can have a long SYD and a long AKL every month.

Wake up. Its not going to change. In fact, as more and more of the experienced and decent guys leave, the less chance there is of an inexperienced captain making a stand. Management know this and are using it. Do you think they give a toss if your health or marriage falls apart?

Wings last paragraph is very true. Its not easy but it really is time to piss or get off the pot.

Castor K
27th Feb 2006, 10:58
DCA approval is awaited for these forms due to be released Monday next.

These limited edition forms are to be used as INDEMNITY AGAINST PROSECUTION and therefore boost the wellbeing of the offending crew.

Captains are to fill them in with limited (skimpy) details of the Illegal Activity that they are asked (often) to carry out, then fax them to MCC for immediate "Rubber Stamp" approval.
This procedure can be eliminated for a small fee of $2.50, whereupon rubber stamps will be supplied direct to the Captain involved.

Due to the popular demand expected, there will be a limit of 5 forms per Roster Period only
However, should this be too limiting, e-mail applications to the "Rostering Lady" with a suitable guarantee of a box of Swiss or Belgium chocolates will result in unlimited forms being available.

Good Luck

xrba
28th Feb 2006, 00:53
Castor K, Form not acceptable to Rostering unless wrapped in a copy of the latest 'HELLO' magazine!

Wings, i agree with your sentiments, but feel that you must have an extensive hold on the hierarchy to have somehow survived this long. Congratulations, [if that's the word!] or is your court case imminent as well? Any news on the last one, by the way.

On another matter, a misguided friend who has flown RBA extensively [well, they are usually the cheapest], has accrued quite a few frequent flier points with them, but has not discovered anyway of being able to redeem them!! Sounds like a typical Brune trick doesn't it. Any suggestions gratefully received.

14U
2nd Mar 2006, 02:44
Well said Wings, indeed I have used the "well just fax through the instructions" a few times and they soon back down. But they dont forget, so be warned to use it wisely.

As for rosters and Foxs day. A roster Lady other than "Hello" told me that as soon as a Royals charter came up, F & C would appear out the woodwork and soon blocked any others. A nice little pension top up.

Of course there was always the proviso that you had to do so many base checks before you could be considered, which went in the bin as soon as the Fox Cub came on line.

Dispite all that, they were happy days. Illegal flights would not have been entertained, and dear Alan B would make sure that the Ops manual was up to date.

rumourmill123
2nd Mar 2006, 03:06
Sadly those days are gone. At least the people flying the line know that.

Someone really should tell the managers and trainers who still think they can write their own rosters.

There is no fat in the system to support their self indulgence anymore and that is why the 767 fleet is struggling for experience and numbers. I was at the RBYC not too long ago and heard a conversation in which a 767 DFM cum trainer stated that he didnt care what happened to anyone else. He had been in RBA long enough to "wield some clout" and now it was "payback time."

If you ever wonder why the 767 fleet cant get leave approved for the school holidays, thats one of the reasons.

Life is slowly catching up with these dinosaurs but not before they have caused irrecoverable damage to Flight Ops. The back pages of Flight are starting to look good again. Leave the dinosaurs to it and go and do what many experienced and capable RBA pilots have done in the last year or so - go get a proper job. :mad:

14U
2nd Mar 2006, 05:48
RM123, well said and I agree.

But why should we have to go get a proper job? There is a proper job right here. Its the poor standard of DFO and the fleet office that needs to be changed.

Sadly many top draw folk have left, got fed up-sorry thats tiredandfedup- as well, or got turfed out like JE. Thats what they want, if they had their way they would replace us all with kids and just cuff us round the ears when we say Oy thats illegal.

As you say life is catching up with them, and so is JE from what I hear doing the rounds. Good on him.:ok:

rumourmill123
2nd Mar 2006, 06:32
Legal action and justice is gradually but inexorably creeping up on them now. One of them also has an extra little surprise to look forward to later this year.:ok:

propaganda
4th Mar 2006, 07:01
There maybe a light at the end of your dark tunnel...one of the management appointments.......top bloke matey....no bias......watch this space.:ok:

rumourmill123
4th Mar 2006, 11:08
I am sure he is a top bloke but one top bloke on his own isn't going to achieve much. He will rapidly become disillusioned if there isn't a team of top blokes put in place all at one time to replace the self serving incompetents that we have been stuck with for far too long.

Come the revolution, the 767 fleet and deputy fleet managersshould be the first ones to be issued with blindfolds and a last cigarette.:ok:

dalai_lama767
7th Mar 2006, 07:24
Changes for new management to address you see.
Let Rostering Roster. No writing of own rosters from fleet office or training section. Security scanner outside Rostering to check for boxes of chocolates and HELLO magazines.
Impress on 767 Training dept that RBA does still fly to DXB, LHR and FRA and that Taining Dept MUST instruct to the WEST of Brunei even if it means working weekends and missing out on long SYD/AKL/BNE trips. Its what you get paid for but you aren't doing it.
Require a 10000 word paper each from DFO and 767 FM and DFM as to why their leadership tenure has been such a failure and why they should not face disciplinary proceedings.
Dismiss from office all those who abuse their positions, ignore their managerial responsibilities and regard RBA as their own private flying club.
That is a very small start.
More suggestions anyone?

14U
7th Mar 2006, 10:31
The humour that we now read pretty well sums up what a joke, yup a very sad joke, as to the lack of respect these three have brought upon themselves.

If you see them all huddled together at Door 4R dont be suprised, only amused. They know whats coming, there will be a queue to light the paper.
:ok:

THINALBERT
7th Mar 2006, 15:15
Experienced line captains and at least one sim instructor are now involved in interviews for other airlines. No guesses for where. SIA Cargo and the Sand Pit continue to attract whats left of RBAs cream with packages that are only industry average.

IMHO RBA is now well past the point of no return. Its very sad to see and, as I prepare for my own retirement, I have real doubts whether RBA or I will go first. It used to be such a good place to work. We geared up in the mid 90s to operate to west coast USA and at one stage had 120 B767/757 crews, 9 B767 and 2 B757 airplanes. The airplanes were well maintained, exchange rates meant that salary was ok in Aus/Nz/UK/USA/Yarpie terms and we had regular Flight Ops barbecues on the beach. Morale was sky high and the social life was unbelievable.

Now there are only 6 B767s which are constantly aog and falling apart due to lack of downtime to fix snags, there are barely 50 B767 crews - mostly hours builders waiting to leave - and the long haul tasking has actually increased.

All this, and we are run by fleet managers that still think they can cherry pick where and when they want to fly.

The last CEO has to carry lots of the blame but there has been no leadership at all from within Flight Ops. Say what you like about Foxy but he knew how to go to a board meeting and fight Flight Ops corner. I really believe that the current managers have given up caring and are just milking the last drop until they head off to pastures new or retire, leaving yet another failed airline behind.

If RBA was a horse it would have been shot by now.:{

cockroaches
8th Mar 2006, 07:52
Also heard there is an acme pool with decks and chairs custom fit for a nappy valley pad for sale. Could be a bargain. You heard anything rm123? :}

rumourmill123
8th Mar 2006, 08:43
:} can run but he cant hide.

THINALBERT
11th Mar 2006, 10:58
New EU FTLs will come into effect soon. If DCA allow RBA to follow the new scheme as opposed to the existing CAP371 then we can all look forward to working even harder.

See http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215561

for a discussion on the pros and cons.:E

Borneo Wild Man
12th Mar 2006, 11:18
Cockroaches.......its now spelt with a :cool: k

tiredunfedup
13th Mar 2006, 05:34
RBA rostering has made significant changes over recent years.

Is it apathy, ignorance or selfishness that has allowed this to happen with no improvements made by management.

Slip patterns have been reduced from 1.5 – 2 weeks trips, with no all night long haul flights been flown on subsequent nights. (This allowed block days off to recover when returning to Bwn.)

This changed to 5-7 day slip patterns, always working on subsequent all night flights, and now positioning after your long haul flight. Yet the standard 8 days off in Bwn remained unchanged. Therefore block days off cannot be given.
Also local flights have been taken over by the Airbus, and reduced crew numbers due cost cutting and overworked, underpaid pilots leaving in disgust has made the situation worse.
Look at the days off given at home base of long haul pilots of respectable airlines, they would be appalled at RBAs rostering. Both with respect to Crews health and safety, and the safety considerations of the airlines passengers.

When will they realize more mandatory days off need to be given in Bwn to recover from the short but busy patterns, or the slip patterns extended as before.

There are rumors circling of certain management pilots saying they’ve done there fair share of lhr’s and Fra’s in there time, but these were back when no one minded them, they were 1.5 – 2 week trips. Therefore they are entitled to write there own rosters, not doing these trips. This means the line pilots are doing way more than their share of these fatiguing patterns, back to back with little time in Bwn to recover in between.

Is it likely to change when you have a DFO who doesn’t even fly, and who is neglecting his position held and duty to stop this dangerous practice.
Other management pilots who because they have been there longer than the line pilots, think RBA owe them something, writing their own rosters and doing one of these patterns once a year.
Knowing there selfish attitude will significantly impact all the other pilots in the company, yet show no guilt.
A BOD who would not risk changing anything that might increase costs for fear of losing their high salary job for doing nothing and making no decisions, and a new CEO who I fear is in the same position.

So the standard RBA policy of ‘If you don’t like it F%$! off remains, and is unlikely to change.

rumourmill123
13th Mar 2006, 11:25
We are stuck with the abusers of power and will have to deal with the situation ourselves.

First of all, they know they can't go anywhere else and get away with their disgraceful behaviour like they do in Brunei.

Secondly, most of them are incapable of obtaining employment elsewhere due to their own professional shortcomings.

Thirdly, the word is out in every airline that has employed an ex RBA pilot in recent years that these people are trouble and should not be employed.

So, what are we going to do about it?:ok:

THINALBERT
14th Mar 2006, 13:19
An ideal opportunity for the Boeing Training Department is about to be presented in a new GFON. It details the new PER summer service when a double crew will operate a 767 BWN - PER - BWN without getting off the aeroplane.

There is now no need to waste all that valuable training time with all those lengthy and unproductive layovers in AKL SYD and BNE is there?

I wonder what excuse will be given to now make PER unsuitable for training.:p

propaganda
15th Mar 2006, 06:31
Sorry, to hijack your thread , but does anyone know an email contact for HR or Flight crew recruitment. THX

212man
15th Mar 2006, 23:45
30 second google....no e-mail though

http://www.bruneiair.com/aboutus/career.asp

rumourmill123
21st Mar 2006, 05:29
It seems shortage of crews and airplanes is starting to have an effect. Flights were cancelled yesterday evening as there was no airplane for the TPE flight.

Sadly, it will only get worse.

Tired and fed up said ;
"This changed to 5-7 day slip patterns, always working on subsequent all night flights, and now positioning after your long haul flight. Yet the standard 8 days off in Bwn remained unchanged. Therefore block days off cannot be given."

It seems that block days off are now allocated but not to lowly line crews. Only some senior managers and trainers. Check the trainers and managers rosters and you will see the details.
:ok:

Having A Blast
25th Mar 2006, 10:18
Cannot happen soon enough and we would all be delighted to see the back of him.

The previous DFO might not have been overly popular, but at least he could bat for the troops, drawing respect for maintaining standards in Flight Operations.

The present DFO has been a mear shadow (well he always was I hear you say) and has been true to form. Since his arrival as DFO standards have plunged and terms and conditions as well. The lack of any leadership skills has really been no suprise.

How do you describe a DFO who sits in his office all day and on most occasions that I have observed engrosses himself with the Borneo Bulletin. This when you are knackered from back to back long haul and fatigue is rampant throughout the fleet. He cares not, and neglects his responsibilities, abuses his power and allows 2 deputies to abuse theirs as well.

When did we last see the DFO in MCC, I doubt if he remembers how to get there, maybe he knows what a hazardous journey it is these days. Does he have a vaild Airport Pass I wonder? Lamentably lazy when it comes to any involvment to better the work and safety, pay and conditions and general wellbeing of the Company as a whole.

When did he ever do a BKKFRA to see for himself the lack of facilities for decent rest. Nope, would'nt even enter his mind.

A tidy little number leading from the rear and pocketing more than we might think.

Sooner its over the better.

cockroaches
26th Mar 2006, 06:09
BKKFRA. Get to polish the karaoke skills (amongst others) at the HJB (that is if BWM hasn't beaten me to the mic) :cool: Free breakfast in FRA when you pick up 200 fags :} More karaokes on the return sector. Bit a laundry in BWN and off again with a half ironed uniform. Great life....:8

THINALBERT
26th Mar 2006, 06:27
If you like BKK FRA that much you can have my next ones for free. Do we still fly to Australia?

You are right about BWM and the mic though. I remember not being able to get him off the mic at Foxys leaving do.:ok:

Nasi Lemak
26th Mar 2006, 06:27
Cockroaches - "Half ironed uniform"? Want to share an amah? :)

propaganda
26th Mar 2006, 07:39
THINALBERT,

Thanks for the PM..............no reply from DFO.... reading " Having a Blast's" thread it's not surprising.....:cool:

Borneo Wild Man
26th Mar 2006, 11:11
Ha,you boys just wait till I host Borneo Idol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Simon Cowell aint nothing on the BWM).May even get Ferret to do backing on the sax!

Nasi Lemak
26th Mar 2006, 11:21
Great idea, BWM! I'm voting for Captain Birdsnest:D

cockroaches
26th Mar 2006, 12:31
TA. Will swap one of your SIN LAX posn LHR slip thou :} Share an amah now that is a thought :uhoh: As for the karaoke, BWM off the stage!

Nasi Lemak
26th Mar 2006, 13:15
There you go, BWM - the challenge is on - bring it on bro!!!
Cockroaches I was only referring to ironing:p

South Shore
8th May 2006, 11:02
Propaganda has your forecast proved correct?

Silence on the thread makes me think that top bloke matey arrived.

The under performing DFO and 767 Fleet Manager & Deputy were disciplined or sacked. Life is back to normal.

Good on you :ok:

pinkflaps
9th May 2006, 07:17
Hi All,
Sorry have not read all the threads, but can anyone give me some info on Rishworth contracts there and RBA pakages?

Safe Flying!