PDA

View Full Version : Screaming instructors

Centaurus
12th Oct 2005, 13:28
Some instructors are naturals - others turn into screaming skulls that have no patience and shouldn't be in the business. This applies to both general aviation flying instructors and airline instructors.

The problem is stopping these idiots in their tracks while they are on their initial flying instructor course. But how can you tell if some trainee instructors are going to graduate as natural born screamers?

Check captains in the airlines may have never undergone a flying instructor course but instead became check captains through seniority, or through management mates system. It is therefore well nigh impossible to change their attitudes if they are natural screamers.

It is different however with trainee flying instructors. There must be some reliable method of finding out before a new instructor graduates and is let loose on some unsuspecting student, if the instructor is going to be bad news for the flying school that eventually gives him a job. Any ideas?

Mintflavour
12th Oct 2005, 14:21
Hi
I lost a lot of confidence during my commercial rating possibly because of an instructor who used to get quite irate. This method of teaching did not work for me and now as an instructor ensure that I do not repeat the same atmosphere with my students. It is important that your students enjoy the lesson because a) you want them to enjoy it and come back. b) they are paying a lot money for it. However you do not want to be so relaxed that the student can become lazy in the cockpit and the standard of flying becomes sloppy such as holding alt and hdg.

I still need to my IR and already apprehensive about landing with another high rate instructor, and the course.

During the 30 hour instructor course I cannot see how the student 'FI' personality will come out. During the couse you do an hour or so role play of teaching each exercise. However in the real world some PPL students for example could be in the circuit for 10 hours. Some instructors may become frustrated and resort to shouting or what ever in the real environment

Addmittedly I have raised my voice once. During circuits the student repeatedly allowed the air speed to fall significantly during the base turn on to finals and performed no correction without me hinting a minimum of twice. I eventually had to raise my voice to drill home the urgency required at this critical stage of flight as this is how so many pilots are killed (stall spin at less than a 1000'). After this the student did maintain his speed a lot better. and he still flys with me.

mint

hardcase
13th Oct 2005, 13:38
As a CFI, I have had feedback from many sources on a particular FI who was employed at my school who raised their voice above an acceptable level on a regular basis with both students and on PPL holders on check rides. At one point a student wanted to punch him.

People have to enjoy their flying and being spoken to in an unacceptable manner won't bring them back. I always remind my guys that they are both students and customers.

On an FI course its impossible to find out if someone is a screamer. Once in employment, I think its down to the CFI to look for feedback on his FI's and have a talk with them. At the end of the day most people do accept if they have been out of line and make the necessary changes, my guy didn't so he had to go.

Centaurus
13th Oct 2005, 13:38
High Rate instructor? Do you mean "Irate"?

African Drunk
14th Oct 2005, 13:24
have £6000 some place will teach you no matter how unsuited you are.